Contributor
GaulStone
0 Kudos

Re: PreOrdering Policy rediculous

Online ordering now showing Sold Out with an estimated date of May 22nd!  Sore news for those giving up on the stores in hopes that online is their salvation.

"Go placidly amid the noise and haste and remember what peace there may be in silence" -Max Ehrmann
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

The one overwhelming message I'm getting from all these stories is that sales of the new NST Glow have been far above what B&N expected and they weren't prepared.  Now they're trying to play catch-up.

And some stores handled the situation much worse than others.

Contributor
marsdog
0 Kudos

Still waiting....

Yes, just got back from my store and heard the same thing... they didn't anticipate the demand. All I know, it's two days past the instore date, a week past the original preorder date, also BN announced earlier than expected shipping and I still can't get any definitive word from the store. In fact, I asked them to verify that I was at the top of the list, or near it since I ordered in the first hour of the first day. The manager was wishy washy about my status saying there should be enough to cover all preorders. I didn't accept that and said, in case there isn't, I should be in the first group guaranteed because I was in here first! In the end he said, they should go by order date. Time will tell... how much time that is, no one knows!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

GaulStone wrote:

Online ordering now showing Sold Out with an estimated date of May 22nd!  Sore news for those giving up on the stores in hopes that online is their salvation.

Yes, it is.  BUT, I would expect that if you place your order now, your nook will ship on the 22nd or earlier, and your nearest store may still not have stock by the time you get your nook.  The worst that can happen, if you've already got your name on a reservation list in-store, is that you have to cancel your online order b/c your store got them in first.

ETA: Cancelling an online order with B&N can be a PITA, so maybe the worst that can happen is that you get a second nook delivered from your online order after you pick-up your in-store nook, and have to return the second nook.

If it were me, I'd just sit back and wait.  I'd rather be reading than worrying about stock dates and returns and cancelling orders or reservations.

Reader
pablogordon
0 Kudos

Wow can't believe it is sold out again online.  I remember it being that way a few days ago, which is why I was surprised that I was able to order one last night and have it shipped already this morning as I mentioned in my last post.  It seems like the online shipment times are changing then as they get new batches in stock, so it may be worth it to check online periodically to see if it changes.

Contributor
Newcraft
0 Kudos

marsdog wrote:

Still waiting....

Yes, just got back from my store and heard the same thing... they didn't anticipate the demand. All I know, it's two days past the instore date, a week past the original preorder date, also BN announced earlier than expected shipping and I still can't get any definitive word from the store. In fact, I asked them to verify that I was at the top of the list, or near it since I ordered in the first hour of the first day. The manager was wishy washy about my status saying there should be enough to cover all preorders. I didn't accept that and said, in case there isn't, I should be in the first group guaranteed because I was in here first! In the end he said, they should go by order date. Time will tell... how much time that is, no one knows!

You may have already done so, but I would suggest you get something in writing or some sort of proof that you're on the pre-order list.  I went in-store, put my name on, was assured we were set for when the shipment was in.  Went in on the 5th after being told to expect pick up around the 1st, it was getting late.  The same clerk who took my name to put on the pre-order list (2 weeks prior to May 1) told me I wasn't even ON the list.

They've really got issues with their pre-order system.  Having a slip or something in writing will at least help your case if they keep being ambiguous about things.

Contributor
marsdog
0 Kudos

Good idea, I didn't do that, but I did confirm I am on the list at least. I'm doing my best to be a  PITA calling and showing up asking the same questions. They are definitely recognizing me so they'll probably want to be me one to get rid of me! :smileywink:

Contributor
dressmaker
0 Kudos

The EBAY scalpers/ selllers have a few.  I don't know where they got them.   I have B&N giftcards, I can wait. 

Contributor
robdrob
0 Kudos

Pablogordon

Hi also on a whim decided to place an order last night(Tuesday). I was pleasantly surprised as I got 10.00 off and also free express shipping becauseI am a rewards member and did not even remember I was a member.

Hope you received your NST glow today.

Correspondent
Steph0690
0 Kudos

I read many articles saying that B&N had very limited quantities before and through mothers day, which I am now assuming is very true. I'm waiting to purchase my NSTG from Best Buy, they've had the Glow Light on their website for the past two weeks and it says "coming soon," and they say they have no idea when they'll be getting them in. I wonder is by May 22nd B&N will actually have enough stock to provide all their stores with plenty of units as well as other retailers. I've got my fingers crossed.

friend me on Goodreads :smileyhappy:
http://www.goodreads.com/stephanya
Contributor
Tim2011

I was disappointed to see the availability issues this week too. It really hadn't even occurred to me that this could happen, I rolled up to my local BN ready to buy. They did at least have a demo unit, and I did want to have a look at that before buying. They took my name and number for their wait list. Back at home, bn.com actually reported two stores about 25 miles away had stock - but I called and they both said that was incorrect. The stores all reported 'end of the month' as their estimated time to get new stock. I looked at the ebay scalpers too - they sure seem to have a lot of stock, but it seemed already too late to get delivery by Mother's Day without adding even more of a premium.

So to cover my bases, I placed an order online yesterday. The confirmation said ship date was estimated to be 'May 10'. I was afraid to get too excited about that - easy to believe BN may have some technical problem and just set that date to the turnaround time they expect when they actually do have stock.

But email from ups and bn.com today reports my NSTG has shipped and should arrive tomorrow.

I'm very happy about that - it will be a nice upgrade for my wife's old pre-touch nook. So try an online order if you're looking to get one asap, it looks like that can happen.

It seems like a very bad long-term scenario for B&N. Their physical stores should be a great competitive advantage and also a priority for them to attract traffic. But the message they've sent me is that bn.com is better than the brick & mortar store.

Frequent Contributor
Painterroy
0 Kudos

Update. For those of you who don;t think this whole preordering policy is silly, I did pre order 2 weeks ago (it is now Fri. May 11) heard nothing from them, online it says my store is sold out. But I decided to go in today and ask if they came in. The salesperson asked, "Did you pre-order?"  "Yes, two weeks ago" I said sounding a little annoyed. He asked me for my phone number looked on the list on his computer screen, and said "Yes we have one for you." I didn't bother to say that they didn't contact me like they said they were supposed to, or whether he might have given me someone else's. The point is they were in & didn't email or call me, So some people have them, some don't, some stores have them in but not even bothering to call you. Ridiculous way of running a business. 

Roy Evan Burstiner
Contributor
Tim2011
0 Kudos

Update: My new glowtouch was delivered as promised with my online status. I won't be able to open it up and set it up until tomorrow morning, but the actual order & delivery was executed very well for me - ordered Wednesday afternoon, delivered two days later.

It's a shame the local stores were unable to recommend this when I was turned away without a sale, and that the bn.com website was reporting out of stock even when I ordered.