Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Re: Preloaded apps /Storage space

Wow..that's odd. Every store should have received their SD card for reformatting. I had no prob at all. It took all of 15 minutes at most.

Inspired Contributor
barsu
0 Kudos

The young man at BN called their store CS rep and was told I'd have to use my own sd card and that would be formatted and would have to stay in nook all the time
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

barsu wrote:
The young man at BN called their store CS rep and was told I'd have to use my own sd card and that would be formatted and would have to stay in nook all the time

Ah, I'll be polite and just say, no, that's NOT how it works.  Someone there is very confused.

- Mark

Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

Ah, I'll be polite and just say, no, MOST there have been and continue to be confused.

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I'm sorry but that is just not correct. I had to take my SD card out and they inserted the formatting SD card, then they removed their card and I put mine back in.

Go to another store.

Inspired Contributor
barsu
0 Kudos

I wish I had another store to go to. The one I went to was 38 miles from me. I believe the next closest is about 80 miles. I knew they were wrong but I couldn't get my point across to him as to how I understood it was to be reformatted.
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I am so sorry. It's not your fault. Perhaps calling the managerr and asking if anyone at the Nook counter has experience in doing this.

Actually I was the first to have it done at my store, and the associate said it was the first for her too.

Inspired Contributor
barsu
0 Kudos

I called the store a short time ago and spoke to him and he actually knows what to do. Last Tues when I went in all the tech people were at a meeting. He was not happy that the associate didn't find someone who knew what to do. I'll go in this weekend and he'll take care of it for me.
Wordsmith
Serendip
0 Kudos

When it comes to B&N store employees, I'm blaming a whole lot on training, or lack thereof.

Don't need to look much further than this to know... something is very, very wrong.

It is wonderful that the OP was resourceful enough to contact Sam, yet I think it is terribly sad that it came to that - they should have direct access to the B&N Tech Teams.

I'm lucky, our store seems to really know what they are doing, and I can't help but think they learned it on their own.

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Yippee...someone who's in the know.  Be sure to save your pics and music. Remember your device will be like brand new, and you will have to register it again. I did mine at the store just in case there was a prob, so have your passwords handy. And when you return home you will need to set up your WiFi.

Everything downloaded immediately while I was at the store. All of my books and apps were right there. Once I move my pics and music, I was complete.

Good luck.

Frequent Contributor
GameAmour
0 Kudos

AT&T is also known for badly trained employees... Good thing you managed to resolve it.

Game Amour - Nook Apps developer and publisher

♥ NOOK Apps: Pigs Can Fly, Add-O-Matic, Vampires Vs Werewolves, Reversi Deluxe
Contributor
baltoreader
0 Kudos

I so agree!  Especially now that I'm purchasing apps that I actually use, why can't I archive or delete the ones I haven't used in the 8 months I've had my Nook Color???  The screen with apps on it is so cluttered!  PLEASE B&N let us get rid of those nasty preloaded apps!!!  Please?

Scribe
Froide
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

We should be granted the power to archive preloaded apps such as chess and sudoku, neither of which I play, when are storage space becomes full. This  limited space appears to be precious and BN forced these apps onto my device. Just not nice.

Agreed!  I actually like some of the preloaded apps, but rarely use any of them. Being unable to archive the preloaded apps which one rarely or ever uses makes them "bloatware" rather than nice-to-have freebies.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx

[My quicklinks to pick/post limited-time ebook and audiobook freebies in the Limited-Time NOOKbook Freebies and Official OT threads.]
Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I so agree too!  I even bought additional storage disk but little did I know at the time that it did not have anything to do with the app storage.  I do not use the preloaded apps - wish I could just delete them all together.

Inspired Correspondent
EarthTiger13
0 Kudos

Any chance that BN is reconsidering making preloaded appa archivable?  Out of the 9 preloaded apps, I only want two there. Also, I saw that someone theorized that magazines could be using the same space. Is this possible?

[singing] The wonderful thing about tiggers / Is tiggers are wonderful things / Their tops are made out of rubber / Their bottoms are made out of springs / They're bouncy, trouncy, flouncy, pouncy fun, fun, fun, fun, fun / But the most wonderful thing about tiggers is I'm the only one / IIIII'm the only one! [growls] ~ Tigger
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

EarthTiger13 wrote:

Any chance that BN is reconsidering making preloaded appa archivable?  Out of the 9 preloaded apps, I only want two there. Also, I saw that someone theorized that magazines could be using the same space. Is this possible?

This seems to be a standard industry practice.  I gave preloaded apps on my android phone and my ipad that I can't delete.  I also believe there were preloaded apps on my android tablet that couldn't be deleted.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Regarding this:

Also, I saw that someone theorized that magazines could be using the same space. Is this possible?

Yes. Everything you buy from B&N Nook store shares the same space.