Frequent Contributor
krier32
0 Kudos

Printing from NT

Ok, regardless of where you stand on the sideloading issue, let's not turn this thread into that discussion. Considering that these devices support office documents, has anyone successfully been able to set up their device to print to a wireless printer. Even if you are a nook color owner please let us know what you tried or did.
New User
rcrgirl84
0 Kudos

Re: Printing from NT

Excellent question - I've been struggling with this too since there are things that I find on-line that I'd like to be able to send to my wireless printer from my Nook.

New User
rcrgirl84
0 Kudos

Okay - just found the PrinterShare app under the Shop for $4.95 . . . will try it tonight and report back.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

I've had luck with the printershare app, which is actually available in the app store, surprisingly enough.  It does let me discover and print to wireless printers.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

I'm using PrinterShare on my tablet and it works great with my HP All in One wireles printer. Beware though, that the printer drivers themselves are from a 3rd party and there are some printers that aren't compatible. I was able to try the free trial version from the Android market before I bought the premium key.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I started using Print Share on my Droid and loved it. So when it became available on my tablet, I  had to have it. I have had good success. No prob at all and very easy to navigate.

Contributor
CraigInTulsa
0 Kudos

Anyone figure out how to really make this work? Like, I'm using the Dolphin browser. I am on a page i would like to print. How can i print that page? I can copy the URL, but you cant paste it in PrintShare can you?
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

I use Print Share and it works great.

I first used PS on my Droid and was so happy when the app became available on my NT.

Contributor
CraigInTulsa
0 Kudos

Well, how do you print a webpage without having to type the URL in?
Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

CraigInTulsa wrote:
Well, how do you print a webpage without having to type the URL in?

Well I don't use Print Share, I have Cloud Print loaded on my nook, but it may work the same.  When I get to a page I want to print, I go to the menu->more->share.  Then it brings up a window with all the different ways I can share, Cloud Print being one of them.  Maybe Print Share works the same way...

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

CraiglnTulsa:

I am using Dolphin as a browser with PrintShare, so this is one way. 

1.  Open the web page you want to print.

2.  Tap the "Menu" button

3.  Tap "More" button

4.  Tap "Share Page"

5.  Select PrinterShare

6.  Tap "Print" at the bottom of the displayed page

7.  Look over the rendered pages and tap either "Print" or "Options"

8.  Follow the printing options like any other App or Program

Remember, you must have first setup your Near Print via Wi-Fi or signed into their network if you are not using Wi-Fi.  Hope this is useful to you.

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Update on using PrinterShare with the native Nook Mail App:  no way to accomplish it!  However, I simply accessed my e-mail from the Dolphin Web Browser and printed it via the "Share" function and PrinterShare.  Works fine.

Reisnice
0 Kudos

Can somebody confirm whether PrinterShare is a one-time charge or a monthly charge? I've seen several reviews stating that. I don't hav a problem with the license fee, but not monthly.
Reisnice
0 Kudos

In another direction,has anybody been able to make any of the printer vendors' eprint methods to work, or has the lack of sideloading nixed that?
Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

Reisnice:  If you are using the near print option which is a local printer accessed via Wi-Fi your $4.95 purchase price is what they call a "premium key" and it is all you need for unlimited printing.  There is no monthly charge for this type of use.  Some may want or need to access printers via the Internet so you can pay a monthly fee that will allow utilizing their servers to access the printer you are targeting.  I understand that there is a variation to the monthly fee arrangement that will allow printing 20 pages each month for either a lesser charge or no charge.  However, I suspect that most of us are wanting to print web content or documents from our Nook to a local printer (most likely our own printer) that is a Wi-Fi enabled printer.  For that, all you need to do is purchase the App and set it up.  I will confirm that I have printed web content, various documents and photos via this App.  It works and is worth your "risking" $4.95 to try.

Reisnice
0 Kudos

Thanks for the response. If the vendors would adequately describe their products, more people might buy them.
Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

If you decide to purchase this App please post your impression/experience here so we can all benefit.

Correspondent
TelSC
0 Kudos

j-andersonjma wrote:

If you decide to purchase this App please post your impression/experience here so we can all benefit.

I purchased Printershare early on and have had nothing but positive experiences with it. It works fine with my wireless HP printer and it's what I also used for my gmail account.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Reisnice
0 Kudos

Well, I decided to blow the $5, and I'm satisfied - not ecstatic, but satisfied. It (so far) does what I spent the money for. I've printed docs from QuickOffice, web pages, and email (using the browser). Haven't tried a pdf yet because they were all too big, and I rarely print them anyway. The only reason that I'm not ecstatic is that the printer driver it uses (HP 4795) gives shadows to all the lines and letters, so they appear pretty fuzzy. Not something I would print a resume with, but it lets me print, which has been one of the big shortcomings of my NT. I use AOL, and printing there is sort of weird. When you tap Share, it pops up the email login screen, even though you are already logged in from the browser. Then you have to find the right email and open it a second time to print. But it DOES PRINT. So I'm happy. I've only tried the local 'near' print - not their web print. I doubt that I will use that, at least at the moment.
Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

"The only reason that I'm not ecstatic is that the printer driver it uses (HP 4795) gives shadows to all the lines and letters, so they appear pretty fuzzy. Not something I would print a resume with, but it lets me print, which has been one of the big shortcomings of my NT."   Reisnice

The next time you print try this:

1.  Select a document for printing

2.  Select "Options"

3.  Select "Printout Mode"

4.  Select Draft/Normal/High Quality

5.  Print

If your can not find a setting that fixes your printout quality let them know at their web-site.  I have found that on my HP Photosmart C8180 All-in-One that printing MS Word documents in "Photo (Color cartridge, on photo paper)" produces very acceptable result.  I use "Normal" most of the time and the text is well formed but somewhat light (grey).

Hope this helps.