New User
CEK_NC
0 Kudos

Problem connecting to Wi-Fi after 1.2 upgrade

Prior to the upgrade I was able to connect to my Home Wi-Fi which is secured with WPA2-PSK and AES encryption plus password; however, last week I had my Color Nook upgraded from 1.1 to 1.2 in the store and now I cannot connect to the Wi-Fi at home. All it does is go to trying to obtain IP address to disabled. I called CS and they were not able to help and had me call my ISP which I did eventhough it did not make sense. Since I am the admin to my router - I even took off the security and left it open and still was not able to connect to the Wi-Fi. I checked my other wireless devices such as my laptop and it works just fine. 

Has any one else experienced this problem since the 1.2 upgrade?

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

Re: Problem connecting to Wi-Fi after 1.2 upgrade

CEK_NC wrote:

Prior to the upgrade I was able to connect to my Home Wi-Fi which is secured with WPA2-PSK and AES encryption plus password; however, last week I had my Color Nook upgraded from 1.1 to 1.2 in the store and now I cannot connect to the Wi-Fi at home. All it does is go to trying to obtain IP address to disabled. I called CS and they were not able to help and had me call my ISP which I did eventhough it did not make sense. Since I am the admin to my router - I even took off the security and left it open and still was not able to connect to the Wi-Fi. I checked my other wireless devices such as my laptop and it works just fine. 

Has any one else experienced this problem since the 1.2 upgrade?

I bought my NC and immediately updated to 1.2.0. Like you, I use WPA2 with my (D-Link DIR-655) router and I'm able to connect just fine. What happens if you try to connect to a free wifi source other than your router? If you can't connect to any router, there's an issue with your NC. If you can connect elsewhere, then there must be some issue with your router or its config. Good luck.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

This happened the other day to me...it could FIND the WIFI connection but kept going...connecting...disconnected. I checked my PC and it was not finding my router either for whatever reason.  I powered down the router and modem, counted to 10, then powered up again.  I checked my PC...it found our network and connected.  I tried my Nookcolor...it found our network and connected.. Go figure!

Other suggestion is to power down the NC completely, count to 10 and power up.  This just sometimes works to realign the NC stars or whatever the tech term might be ;0)

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Nook_Engineer
0 Kudos

What is the manufacturer and model number of the problem router?

-Jeffrey

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom
0 Kudos

Just had to post again to say "hi" to Nook_Engineer! ;0)

Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
New User
Kbard
0 Kudos

My wifi story

I purchased my NC on Sunday, brought it home and was excited to get it operational. It either came with the 1.2.0 update or it did it when I turned it on... I was getting a connection to my wifi (ATT u-verse / 2-wire) but there was a problem with signal strength. When I was sitting in my den / kitchen area (about 20 feet away from router) the signal would be so low and it fluctuated and would drop. I have no problem with my router, in fact I can get wifi well into my back yard on my laptop(s). I did the few items recommended on the website (reboot router, etc) but no help. I posted on the help email but they did not respond by noon on Monday so I called the 800#. The guy on the phone was very helpful, listened to what I had done, we tried a full reset of the system, still no better so he said to take it back to the store and exchange it.

I was skeptical at this time, so I turned the new one on in the store and it worked when I walked around (I had not tried this with my original) with a strong signal. When I got home I turned it on and it worked  great.

I have had lots of experience with wifi over the years and it has been so reliable in the last several years I do not mess with it much at all, so I was very surprised that the hardware was the problem... as I thought there could be a driver for the wifi or some incompatability with my router (which were problems years ago).

I am glad B&N provides good support and the exchange was very simple, but glad I had not ordered it and had purchased it at the store. 

Wordsmith
doncr

I also had a problem connecting to my wireless router after updating my NC.  My router showed up as "Not in Range" (my router doesn't broadcast its SSID).  I reset my router several times and had no problems connecting with my notebook, so I figured it was something with the NC.

Turns out the problem was related to the number of wireless hotspots that the NC had remembered, but couldn't connect to at the current time.  I went through the list of 10 or so cached hotspots and selected "Forget" and then the NC would connect to my router no problem.

So maybe this is just another thing to try for those folks that are having wireless connection problems.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

To Summerise what to try if wifi is not working:

1. reboot your Nookcolor.

2. reboot your home wifi router and network.
   then reboot your Nookcoor.

3. verify that your wifi is working with another wifi device, i.e. laptop, or gamebox, etc.

4. If you have SSID "on" turn it "off" in your wifi router.
   Reboot your Nookcolor.

5. Delete (forget) your Wifi connection protocol in Nookcolor, reboot, allow Nookcolor to aquire the different wifi network signals, yours should be among them and then see if you can connect.

6. Reset to factory  (this is last resort)

7. Call Tech Support (if you got the Philippines, then ask for USA tech support (it is official B&N policy that they have to transfer you).

8. Still not working, warranty exchange...

Rem. if your home wifi setup was working before the update or prior to any changes to your Nookcolor, and then after the update or any changes, you can't connect to wifi, 99% of the time the problem IS NOT THE WIFI ROUTER.  So don't fool with your wifi router, except for SSID on/off.

For those that are getting "not in range", if you ever power on/off wifi watching that screen in your NC, you will notice when the wifi is 1st powered "on" often it will first say "not in range" for your wifi network, and then it will connect and everything is fine.  So if that message continues, it is like the NC is stuck in that inital mode, rebooting most of the time will solve that.
Also try moving closer to the wifi router to see if that helps too.

If anyone can suggest refinements to the above or additional valid steps, please suggest so we can give these steps to others seeking help with their wifi.

New User
CEK_NC
0 Kudos

I am able to connect at the local B&N store, just not from my Wi-Fi at home. I have even done the hard-reset twice now...

Wordsmith
CraigAZ
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

CEK_NC wrote:

I am able to connect at the local B&N store, just not from my Wi-Fi at home. I have even done the hard-reset twice now...

Here's another thought from B&N's FAQs:

8. My computer and other products can connect to my WiFi hotspot but my NOOK Color can't connect. What should I do?

Tap the network you want to connect to and select "forget". Tap the Wi-Fi network again to connect. If you are still having issues, please call customer service at 1-800-THE-BOOK.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

There is another thread where folks are posting their router model #s and firmware releases.

One pattern emerging is that Westell DSL modem/wifi access points are making a lot of trouble.  I think that three have been swapped out to date. 

At one point, I suspected that there was an issue with "DHCP lease time" in these clients.  I know now that adjusting that does not seem to help people.

There does seem to be an issue with Wireless-N routers.  Many folks are reporting that N connections fail or run at very low speeds.  On my network, the nook N connection ran at about 25% of the speed of a G connection.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
WHO-DAT
0 Kudos

New User
CEK_NC
0 Kudos

Thank you who had contributed to resolving my issue of connecting to the Wi-Fi after receiving the 1.2 upgrade.

I learned that my specific router - a Cisco Linksys WRVS4400N with firmware v1.00.12 needed to be updated v 1.1.1.3 in conjunction with the firmware 1.2 upgrade to the NC.

I am now able to connect my NC to the internet through my home router.

New User
SuePNJ
0 Kudos

I had the same problem after upgrading my Nook.  I went to the local Barnes & Noble, where my Nook had no problem connecting.  They suggested I call the 800 number.  After calling the 800 number, the tech explained that there are some glitches with the upgrade.  Certain routers will not connect with the Nook once it is upgraded.  Of course, I was lucky enough to have one of those routers.  They're working on the problem, but had no idea when they will have a solution.

Distinguished Correspondent
ukscone
0 Kudos

I don't have the problem so I have no way to test whether I am right or wrong but i've previously had wifi problems with some embedded devices and dlink (and other non-linksys) routers and it was related to the short/long preamble setting.

Can someone who does have wifi connection problems after the upgrade try changing the preamble setting on their router and see if that helps?

roustabout
0 Kudos

CEK, good to hear.  I have that router (mostly off - does your unit get super hot?  Mine gets so hot that I tried throwing a graphics card heatsink onto the ethernet chip, and finally gave up and got a 30 dollar Trendnet AP until I was able to get a deal on a used Juniper) and got ~4x better throughput to the NC with the firmware update.

Sue, one thing to look at is whether your router is running the latest available firmware.  Also, be sure your nook still knows you have a MAC address - a couple of folks have noticed, post-1.2, that if they go to settings, device info, about your nook, that the MAC address is either "UNAVAILABLE" or all zeroes.  If your MAC is unavailable or all zeroes, there's something really wrong. 

Assuming that current firmware is on the router and your wifi adapter looks ok, another thing is to try turning off MAC filtering, wep or wpa if in use, any manual speed or channel settings you might have set up, broadcast your SSID and dial DHCP lease time up to 1 week, then restart the router and see if you can connect.  If you can connect, then you can gradually add back in custom settings.

The long/short preamble tweaks and some of the other advanced wifi settings aren't stuff I've seen detailed feedback on. 

Most folks are able to reenable WPA, hide their SSID and and use MAC filtering if they like. 

And apparently BN knows about the MAC address problem and will do a replacement if your device has a bad MAC address post-update. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
CEK_NC
0 Kudos

I found I had to upgrade the firmware on my Cisco Linksys Router Model WRVS4400N from v1.0.12 to at least v.1.1.1.3 - you do this by going to Cisco and getting the firmware upgrade.

New User
SHAndrews
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem and B&N tech support told me that I needed to get a new router.  Granted my router is an older model but it worked fine before the upgrade.   I tried the rebooting router and NC, changing the security settings on the router and all the other things that were suggested to no avail. After further investigation I finally did the 8-reboot sequences and set it back to the 1.0.1 version and it works fine with my router now. Just don't have all the apps and perks of the newer version but can connect to the internet now. I have included the link to the instructions to do this here http://nookdevs.com/Flash_back_to_clean_stock_ROM.  This worked for me maybe it will work for others.

My router is a MN700 and the last firmware update for it was in 2006.

roustabout
0 Kudos

Shandrews:  your device may spontaneously update itself to 1.2, unless you take the precaution of rooting it.

That also gives you access to the full Android marketplace.  :smileyhappy:

There's a 1.1 install guide here:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/unrootingresetting-to-stock.html

And rooting 1.1 can be done in either of two ways, autonooter or monster root pack.  I happen to like MRP,  because it enables the native Android nook app (with its excellent night and landscape modes) but autonooter is preferred by many.  Also, the shop breaks under MRP, if I recall correctly. 

Either of the first two methods here will let you root and lock down your NC on 1.1 (obviously confirm first that 1.1 actually can talk to your router.)

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-want-to-root-my-nc.html:

Your particular router, the MN700, is a Windows CE device, if I recall correctly.  That router does something very unusual for a router:  It runs Netbios to resolve local hostnames (relatively few routers try to resolve local hostnames.) 

IF it is possible to disable Netbios names on that router, you might be able to get 1.2 working.  I'd love to know if that can be done, if you're up for trying it. 

New User
Ms_oSoSweet
0 Kudos

OMG, I just tried this and it worked like magic. The problem was resolved instantly. As soon as I started to "Forget" a few unused networks, mine was discovered. Thank you so much for your input.