Reply
Frequent Contributor
RedHeartFL
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0 Kudos

Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

I bought my NT because of readings for class (worst week, over 750 pages) and have bought some books for reference as well.

 

The problem is, I've read that if your credit card number changes (like the card was stolen and you get a replacement), or if you change the credit card number "on file" with B&N, you can't open the books you purchased any more.

If that happens, how do you fix it?

 

When I purchase a book, it's permanent (for keeps, just like buying a hardcopy version), and this concerns me that B&N will decide sometime in the future to make changes which are supposed to make us purchase "updated versions".  I don't play that game.  What sort of guarantee exists that  if we buy a book, we won't have it locked out in the future - and what resources are available to prevent the sort of scenerio I've mentioned?

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,717
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

[ Edited ]

RedHeartFL wrote:

 

The problem is, I've read that if your credit card number changes (like the card was stolen and you get a replacement), or if you change the credit card number "on file" with B&N, you can't open the books you purchased any more.

If that happens, how do you fix it?


This is completely untrue.

 

The nook uses the credit card on file to create the DRM for each book when you download it.  Once a book has been unlocked on the device, it's yours to read.  If you card is stolen or you otherwise change credit cards, you can enter the new number into your account and go on as usual.  The old books will use the old DRM and the new books will use the new DRM.

 

It's possible that at some point your nook could become "confused" and ask you to enter the credit card that was on file when you downloaded a given book.  You can do two things if this happens - enter the card number, or archive and unarchive the book, which will cause the book to download with the new DRM based on the new credit card on file.

 

Also, BACK UP YOUR BOOKS to a computer and keep your old credit card numbers somewhere safe, in case you need them.  Doing this will allow you to unlock and read all your books, no matter what happens on B&N's server.

Frequent Contributor
RedHeartFL
Posts: 37
Registered: ‎10-19-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

Hmm.. not true, heh?  Not from what I've read.

 

I've read of at least two other people who "lost" books that way.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
Posts: 1,619
Registered: ‎10-21-2009

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

I've read lots of "truths" on the Internet that just aren't so.

 

One scenario where this might be theoretically possible is if a book has been pulled from sale and you go to re-download it. Then you might have trouble. Possibly.

 

Personally I have several books in my library that have been pulled from sale on B&N that this is not a problem with. I can redownload them any time I please.

 

But keriflur is essentially correct, this is not enough of a common occurrence to get worked up about.

 

However, I would point out, that with e-books technically you don't own them like a normal book. Read your Terms of Use. In practice, the ownership vs. license issue hasn't been tested in court, that I know of. But from the standpoint of the publishers (and B&N), you don't your e-books in the same way you own a physical book. But that's old news and an old debate.

 

Frequent Contributor
geertm
Posts: 1,193
Registered: ‎02-09-2010

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes


RedHeartFL wrote:

Hmm.. not true, heh?  Not from what I've read.

 

I've read of at least two other people who "lost" books that way.

 


Those people did not have a valid credit card in their account. Because of this they could not download new copies of their books. Because without a valid credit card no DRM can be applied. And B&N is not allowed to sell most books without DRM.
The only thing those people needed to do was add a valid credit card to their account again, to download new copies of their books.

Unfortunately a lot of websites picked up these stories without doing any research themselves.

 

B&N's social DRM is complete enclosed within the ebook file itself. After downloading an B&N ebook once, you can copy the ebookfile to as many ereaders as you want, as many times as you like. Without needing any DRM server. Even if B&N and its DRM server would no longer exist.

If those people complaining had made a backup of their books, they would still have been able to read all their books, even with an invalid B&N account. But of course you cannot download new copies of your books with an invalid account.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,717
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes


RedHeartFL wrote:

Hmm.. not true, heh?  Not from what I've read.

 

I've read of at least two other people who "lost" books that way.

 


*shrugs*

 

Believe what you want.  It's your life, after all.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

Well, I've changed my cc and I still have access to all my books, even the ones I've purchased that have subsequently been pulled by the publisher. In fact, I've changed my cc twice with no problems.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

RedHeartFL, what you've read on the Internet is nonsense.

 

What you're hearing here is from ACTUAL Nook owners.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,210
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes


5ivedom wrote:

RedHeartFL, what you've read on the Internet is nonsense.

 

What you're hearing here is from ACTUAL Nook owners.


They can't put anything on the internet if it isn't true, right?

 

"Uh, bonjour"

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,717
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes


5ivedom wrote:

RedHeartFL, what you've read on the Internet is nonsense.

 

What you're hearing here is from ACTUAL Nook owners.


You know he/she's reading this on the internet, right?  :smileywink:

 

Correspondent
lindajm22
Posts: 106
Registered: ‎07-22-2009

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

I have changed my credit card on my account a couple of times and I can still open every Nook book I've ever bought over the years, from the first one to the most recent, purchased using different cards, so what you have read is just not true.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

Let me rephrase.

 

You can't trust anything you read on the Internet, except what you read here.

 

:smileyhappy:

New User
Turaru
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎11-17-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

Bumping this because it is still an issue. 

 

I have sevreal books I've purchased that I cannot unlock/read.  My house got broken into and had to change all of my credit cards.  I registered the new card with B&N right away and now anything purchased previously won't open.  I've tried various methods to get them to unlock but nothing has worked so far.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,812
Registered: ‎12-31-2009

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes


Turaru wrote:

Bumping this because it is still an issue. 

 

I have sevreal books I've purchased that I cannot unlock/read.  My house got broken into and had to change all of my credit cards.  I registered the new card with B&N right away and now anything purchased previously won't open.  I've tried various methods to get them to unlock but nothing has worked so far.


Have you archived and then unarchived the books?  The DRM is tied to the cc on file when you download the books.  I've changed my cc at least 3 times and I still have access to all my books.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,866
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

Try downloading the titles again now that your account has been updated. It is annoying in your circumstances, but the good news is that you don't need to maintain a list linking every purchased title to the CC# used for purchase. When you download, the DRM is linked to the CC# used at the time of download, so they'll all use your new card.

Contributor
Jacquie66
Posts: 18
Registered: ‎04-25-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

I know I have changed the cc on my account at least twice if not 3 times since owing my first Nook and have never lost a book yet.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
Posts: 917
Registered: ‎08-30-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

Add me to the list of people who have changed the CCs on their accounts at least  3 times since owing their first Nooks and have never lost a book. 

 

 

Frequent Contributor
Dinerfiend
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎09-03-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

I, too, have changed my credit card twice since purchasing my first Nook.  I still have access to every book that I purchased, no hassle at all. Good luck to you!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,420
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes

Changed credit cards due to them expiring and my bank switch from MasterCard to Visa and then I switched banks. Still have all my books.
The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
Posts: 1,490
Registered: ‎09-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Purchased book question - "loosing" books because of changes


Turaru wrote:

Bumping this because it is still an issue. 

 

I have sevreal books I've purchased that I cannot unlock/read.  My house got broken into and had to change all of my credit cards.  I registered the new card with B&N right away and now anything purchased previously won't open.  I've tried various methods to get them to unlock but nothing has worked so far.


When you say you've 'tried various methods' what have you tried?  Simply archiving and unarchiving should solve your problem.

 

Alternatively, I'm guessing it's asking you for the unlock information, which would be your name (as listed on your B&N account) and the credit card number used for the purchase/last download.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716