Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Reminder on How to Get a Free Replacement Charger

Several weeks ago, the cover on my charger cable that plugs into the adapter itself fell off.  I've been using it just fine since then, but tonight I decided, to be on the safe side, to get a replacement while the Nook is still under warranty.  In case you're not aware of it, all you need to do to get a free replacement is call 1-800-THE-BOOK.  Follow the prompts and the technician will ask you to read the serial number off the SD card door.  She told me I'll have it in 5 days.

By the way....OUTSTANDING customer service. 

Inspired Contributor
scosgt

Re: Reminder on How to Get a Free Replacement Charger

SO instead of simply using a drop of glue to keep this TOTALLY COSMETIC part in place you decided to rip them off for a new one.

Inspired Wordsmith
beeyebickiebuy

scosgt wrote:

SO instead of simply using a drop of glue to keep this TOTALLY COSMETIC part in place you decided to rip them off for a new one.

Meaning absolutely no disrespect, but that was a bit harsh wasn't it?  After all it will only be a matter of time until the charger completely fails.  Perhaps everyone should call for a replacement and B&N might just redesign it to be more durable.

Inspired Wordsmith
KidneyKid

Yeah HOW DARE YOU RIP THEM OFF FOR A REPLACEMENT OF A DEFECTIVE PART THAT IS STILL UNDER WARRANTY??!!??!! I mean it is not like these things have been known to cause fires or anything.... Oh wait... they have!! Cheers to you for getting a replacement. You have every right.
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

[ Edited ]

>>SO instead of simply using a drop of glue to keep this TOTALLY COSMETIC part in place you decided to rip them off for a new one.<<

How is it "ripping them off" to ask that a part that is still under warranty, that I paid money for, not fall apart? Based on what I've heard, there is a danger that this will continue to disintegrate, but even if it is purely cosmetic....I paid for this thing to look and act perfect during its warranty period. And if something happens to it that is more their fault than mine, cosmetic or not, that's an acceptable use of their warranty. You know how I know that? Because I was totally honest with Barnes & Noble, and Barnes & Noble agreed that I was entitled to a replacement. They probably know better than you do.

Frequent Contributor
sueott
0 Kudos

Not a bad idea. I may try it. I just taped mine and used the second cord that came with my car charger.

Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

A db of Goop will hold it together forever.

Wordsmith
robert93
0 Kudos

KidneyKid wrote:
 I mean it is not like these things have been known to cause fires or anything.... Oh wait... they have!!

I think Kiindle was coming out with those anyhow.....:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
lilsmartie
0 Kudos

I'd hold that praise until it's arrived... It took Alex from here to get involved to get mine, 3 weeks after my 1st request!

Kate

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan

scosgt wrote:

A db of Goop will hold it together forever.

In all honesty, I think you miss the point. You shouldn't have to glue something back together like this!! This seems to be a very common problem, and B&N should address the issue. You'd better believe I'll be contacting them if my charger falls apart.

This is like the bezel issue with the N1E...........it's not like the N1E was a cheap item when it first came out (especially the 3-G version). Mine cracked and when I called B&N they admitted that happened all the time and they would replace it with a "newer", "better" design. Guess what? After awhile, that one cracked, too. I think B&N needs a little more quality control over their products. Issues such as these give a company a bad name and send people flying to other brands. I know that I'm a little leery and am not sure if I will buy a N2E or try a Kindle when one of my ereaders needs to be replaced. I have no intention of gluing or taping something that shouldn't fall apart in the first place!!

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

The K3 has power cord issues too, so have fun there. >.>

Reader
bjolliff
0 Kudos

Thanks for this BN actually said that this is a common problem and if you have the warranty it is covered under it due to the fact that more people are reporting that the prongs are falling off.

Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl
0 Kudos

Color me one who just called in for a replacement before ending up with a brick.

My micro-USB end bent a while ago, despite my being careful how I inserted it & removed it; and the USB end plastic was started to separate.

So I called in while my NC was under warranty to get a replacement - I bought one to get me through my vacation, cuz the last thing I needed was to had a dead brick w/ all my reading material for bedtime & plane trips.

New User
Forgiven
0 Kudos

This still works as of July 2012.  Great customer service. There was no problem at all getting a free cord sent to me. 

Reader 2
lenah1
0 Kudos

I was not successful via phone, but I went in to a store w/ my serial number and email address, together w/ a printout of "how to get, etc." and was handed a replacement charging cord on the spot.
New User
Rolando2112
0 Kudos

This in absolutely NOT a cosmetic issue. If the housing breaks the cord is unsuable. B&N is most certainly not being ripped off as I for one have spent $100 in the last 2 years replacing these intentionally defective cords.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I'm still on my original cabe after more than a year, I wonder why some seem to have so many problems and others none at all.

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Too lazy to do it....

I have two NC's, both with broken cords.

Duct tape is holding one together, electrical tape is holding the other together.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
New User
kavs
0 Kudos

you were lucky..I was told by phone chat to just go the store and buy an new one. They told me that they are only suppose to last about a year. How cool is that?? We GET to pay for a new charger every year! Great job B & N!
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

KAvs, the person at the store will replace your charger for free if you disregard whatever the phone chat person said and talk nicely to them.

I've heard lots and lots of reports of free replacements at stores and staff being very polite. Phone chat has some horror stories. It's probably because they don't know it's a real issue or perhaps they just aren't well qualified.