Contributor
RMBerkman
0 Kudos

Resolved: Nook Simple Touch GlowLight with broken screen....

For all of you who have been following the story, thus far:

• My Nook screen broke when I attempted to find a page that the Nook had "lost" one morning, which happens on a pretty regular basis with this thing. What is most infuritiating is that the book is "Infinite Jest," which means searching a 1,000+ page books for a page that my Nook loses time and time again. When I attempted to use the slider over and over again with no response, the screen inexplicably broke. 

• When I called customer service, they said they wouldn't replace a Nook with a broken screen. When I contacted by emal, I got no response; when I "chatted" wtih a rep, they repeated the company line: Broken screen, you're out of luck.

• I spammed these boards with several messages about my travails, as well as photos; I received some helpful advice, as well as several insults. Helpful advice was well intended, but did not solve problem. Insults, well, that's trolling for you.

• B & N relented and contacted me; gave me address and name of local B & N to return it. Got full refund. 

• Took some of my refund to local cafe and bought chai latte; struck up conversation with cute barista, ended up with her number.

Thanks, ladies and gents! I'm outta' here.....

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Re: Resolved: Nook Simple Touch GlowLight with broken screen....

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

RMBerkman wrote:
Insults, well, that's trolling for you.

... and they say irony is dead.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

I'm trying to figure out if the lesson learned here is:

1) don't use the goto to page slider on the NST because it will break the screen, or

2) the nook warranty has a hidden clause covering damage caused during temper tantrums.

However, it does prove the old adage that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

tmr4 wrote:
I'm trying to figure out if the lesson learned here is:

1) don't use the goto to page slider on the NST because it will break the screen, or

2) the nook warranty has a hidden clause covering damage caused during temper tantrums.

However, it does prove the old adage that the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

I think it's neither.

The eink screen failure was probably just coincidental to his swiping; if you google, eink screen failures aren't uncommon and usually happen just after a screen refresh.

I think the reason he didn't get the offer of a replacement on his initial contact with Customer Service is that when he used the word "broken" they heard "cracked" not "eink screen failed" and a cracked screen isn't covered...

Contributor
RMBerkman
0 Kudos

and how to you claim to "know" me?
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

RMBerkman wrote:
and how to you claim to "know" me?

Despite the brevity or our acquaintance, I think we all feel we have come to know you.

Wordsmith
tmr4
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info Ya_Ya, I hadn't known that. Normally I like to give the benefit of the doubt and it is possible the situation arose do to miscommunication. However the OP has provided details that appear inconsistent with random failure. As such I'm not sure the refresh scenario applies here.

The OP said that the screen was unresponsive after repeated attempts to use the page turn slider. And from the picture of the screen posted in another thread the damage appears more like pressure damage in the lower right portion of the screen than a generic screen failure. This combined with the poster's original request to have BN replace a broken screen (what seems to be a repair request) rather than replace a defective nook seem to point more to user damage than random failure.

As for whether the sceen was cracked or not, I have no basis to make an informed call. But if I had to bet, based on the posted picture I'd say that the screen was cracked, at least internally. From the few images I saw on google the damage appears consistent with folks who said their device had a cracked screen.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18

RMBerkman wrote:

Thanks, ladies and gents! I'm outta' here.....

Apparently not ...

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.