Contributor
JayHD
0 Kudos

Rumor has it new NOOK this spring.

Rumor says there will be a new nook this spring, besides the 8gb.
Wordsmith
TnTexas

Re: Rumor has it new NOOK this spring.

The only kind of device that would make sense this early, in my opinion, is one optimized for study and textbooks. Anything else would just be crazy

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Rumor from where?

Contributor
JayHD
0 Kudos

BN company email, says 8gb is not the new Nook due out in the spring.
Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

TnTexas wrote:

The only kind of device that would make sense this early, in my opinion, is one optimized for study and textbooks. Anything else would just be crazy

Right now, no tablet would make sense for them given all the hoopla around the new iPad.  Gonna be hard to steal that thunder for a while

A new e-ink device would be most likely.  Maybe one that doesn't feel so large and look so square

Correspondent
Temetka

[ Edited ]

The new Kindle e-reader looks very svelte when sat side by side a nook. Not the tablets, I am talking about the e-ink devices. The Nook Simple Touch is great piece of hardware and I am very tempted to buy one. That being said, the thing is fat. Too fat. Why the huge bezel?

If Barnes and Noble has any poker players on their tablet staff, then I think they are hedging their bets. However while targeted as a reader, it is quite clear by now that the tablet devices such as the Nook Color and the Nook Tablet are capable of far, far more. Their customers know this and they want access to it. I for one would love Barnes and Noble to drop Gingerbread and release a SW update of ICS fully skinned, but yet still retaining most of the ICS look and funcitonality. Leave in things like a built in fully functional file manager and the ability to copy and paste. A live wallpaper linked to my store account showing books and apps they recommend would be sweet. As would them doing something akin to Amazon's free app of the day. They have thousands of people hitting their servers everyday just to see what the free app will be. I am one of those people.

Barnes and Nobles has a great reader built right into the Nook Color and the Nook Tablet. No one argues that. What we do want is a louder speaker. More apps. The ability to backup and sync our shelves to our account. Oh and did I mention more apps?

I love the stock OS. It's great. For my 7 year daughter.

My Nook Color is running Cyanogem Mod 9 (ICS) and it runs it great.

My Nook Tablet is rooted using the ADW launcher. I have full access to B&N content, Google content, and yes, Amazon content. I also retain all the in-store functionality. This is what I and many many others want. Listen to us. We are your customers. Give it to us, or we will take it ourselves. I can't tell you how good it felt to root my Nook Tablet. Nor can can I tell you how much I am looking forward to the Cyanogen guys getting ICS up and running on it (Alpha stage as of now).

In summary, a new Nook anything would be a bad idea for B&N at this juncture.

Updated, relevant software and a greatly expanded app store is exactly what the doctor ordered.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

Temetka wrote:

The new Kindle e-reader looks very svelte when sat side by side a nook. Not the tablets, I am talking about the e-ink devices. The Nook Simple Touch is great piece of hardware and I am very tempted to buy one. That being said, the thing is fat. Too fat. Why the huge bezel?

Because the "huge bezel" is actually much more comfortable to hold than the flat slick back of a Kindle Touch. Trust me, I thought the NST was odd too until I started to use for for long periods of time. The thing is brilliantly designed.

Correspondent
Temetka

flyingtoastr wrote:

Temetka wrote:

Because the "huge bezel" is actually much more comfortable to hold than the flat slick back of a Kindle Touch. Trust me, I thought the NST was odd too until I started to use for for long periods of time. The thing is brilliantly designed.

I....I hadn't considered that.

I am used to long periods of reading on my Nook Color and Nook Tablet. I have never read a book on an e-ink device. I think, with my tax return I just might pick up a nook reader. It would be nice to have a simple distraction free reader. I love my my tablets, and I have read many, many books on them. But sometimes, the apps get in the way of the reading. 

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

bobstro

Temetka wrote:
I am used to long periods of reading on my Nook Color and Nook Tablet. I have never read a book on an e-ink device. I think, with my tax return I just might pick up a nook reader. It would be nice to have a simple distraction free reader. I love my my tablets, and I have read many, many books on them. But sometimes, the apps get in the way of the reading. 

For $100 or less, the NST is not a big risk. In addition to being simple, it is also very handy. There's little excuse to leave it behind, even at the beach. The biggest problem I've had is selecting a case that doesn't make the thing too cumbersome.

Since you wrote that you've modified your NC & NT, you probably already know you can root the NST as well. Of course, the little thing isn't going to run most apps particularly well, but I've been able to find solutions for corporate (Exchange) email, voicemail, background file synchronization and other utilitarian tasks. My main reason for rooting it was to gain more granular control over when wifi is activated.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

I agree completely. Before buying I held both devices. There's no contest. The NST is much easier to hold. I also read some of the less favorable Kindle reviews on Amazon.com, and one that sounded authoritative said it's very hard to read one-handed in bed. Since that's where I do a significant amount of reading, I didn't need any more data to decide on the NST. I haven't regretted it.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

My mind is made up. I will be buying a nook simple touch when my tax return arrives. I am looking forward to it. I am at my local bn store right now. I just finished spending some time with it and I like it a lot. So now I am outside with some tea, my smokes and a beautiful day here in southern california. Oh and of course, my tablet is with me. :smileywink:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

I agree completely. Before buying I held both devices. There's no contest. The NST is much easier to hold. I also read some of the less favorable Kindle reviews on Amazon.com, and one that sounded authoritative said it's very hard to read one-handed in bed. Since that's where I do a significant amount of reading, I didn't need any more data to decide on the NST. I haven't regretted it.

I haven't looked at NOOK and Kindle side-by-side, but I have looked at NOOK and Kobo side-by-side, and while the bezel on NOOK looks so chunky, it's almost immeasurably bigger than Kobo.  All three have the same (size) screen, as well.

I agree, it's a little odd looking, but it's fantastic for reading.

(I see you're buying one.  I promise you, for reading, it's the best device I've looked at)

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

... I have looked at NOOK and Kobo side-by-side, and while the bezel on NOOK looks so chunky, it's almost immeasurably bigger than Kobo.  All three have the same (size) screen, as well.

I think we all know that I have the wrong word in that sentence - unnoticeably is what I meant.

Thank you Topamax.  I have my life back, but I'm stupider in it.  :smileytongue::smileymad::smileyvery-happy:

Contributor
BlueJayOR

I love the wider, rubber like, bezel on my NST. I can hold it with one hand (while eating) and I then use my holding thumb on the buttons to turn the pages, without repositioning the device. Love those buttons design! And the curve of the back for an easy grip, for one hand holding.  Another thing, if one accidentally drops the NST, with that bezel/back, it bounces. Have never had mine land screen down. I don't use a use a cover on my NST, would defeat the purpose of easy one hand holding, IMO. (Do have a cover on my NC.) I have a slip- in case for my NST, for transporting it in my purse, beach bag, etc. The NST with it's rugged design, is my outdoor ereader. Can also see the screen in sunlight.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

BlueJayOR wrote:

I love the wider, rubber like, bezel on my NST. I can hold it with one hand (while eating) and I then use my holding thumb on the buttons to turn the pages, without repositioning the device. Love those buttons design! And the curve of the back for an easy grip, for one hand holding.

Agreed 100%. Despite a somewhat ungainly appearance, the NST is a pleasure to use. It has really exceeded my expectations in that regard.

Another thing, if one accidentally drops the NST, with that bezel/back, it bounces. Have never had mine land screen down. I don't use a use a cover on my NST, would defeat the purpose of easy one hand holding, IMO. 

You might try one of the silcon cases. I've tried one from Amazon that covers right up to the screen edges, and quite like it. It's a bit of a dust magnet, but it gives a nice feel while preserving the NST "handling" and button access. It provides a bit more bounce while protecting against damage to all but the screen.

(Do have a cover on my NC.) I have a slip- in case for my NST, for transporting it in my purse, beach bag, etc. The NST with it's rugged design, is my outdoor ereader. Can also see the screen in sunlight.

While playing with the aforementioned silicon case, I realized that the only additional protection I need is for the screen when I'm not using the device. I want to protect it against getting poked while in my bag. I'm still looking for the perfect solution, but a "thong" consisting of a 5.25 x 4 inch hard sheet with an elastic strap to wrap around the back of the unit does the job nicely.

I've tried two different (non-B&N) "matte" screen protectors, and found both were overly shiny. I'm giving up on those for now. 

None of this specifically relates to a new device, but I hope the B&N ergonomics team still has a strong say in product design. They've done a nice job with the NST, and the rest of the NOOK family for that matter.

Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

I am really looking forward to buying an NST. I love both my books but I also want a pure dedicated reader.

Distinguished Correspondent
Gtriever

JayHD wrote:
Rumor says there will be a new nook this spring, besides the 8gb.

How about they fix all the problems with the existing ones first...

bobstro

Temetka wrote:
I am really looking forward to buying an NST. I love both my books but I also want a pure dedicated reader.

If you only have two books, you might not need a reader so badly. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
rafalweb

Thinner is not necessarily better.   Our. hands need some kind of heft to be able to properly handle and operate a devices.  The NST is well designed ergonomically, to fit nicely in the had, to be used with one-handed operation, etc.   I wouldn't want it any thinner.

Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

I meant to say "Nooks" not "Books". My rooted tablet and auto correcting keyboard "fixed" that for me. I have since added Nook to its database of real words.