Frequent Contributor
Painterroy
0 Kudos

Samples Must Be Longer!

I'm sick of all these samples that show almost nothing. Usually there's only a few pages, of which most of them are only the table of contents and an intro. This is never enough to judge whether or not the book might be interesting. Barnes & Noble, please give us the first chapters as the sample. Until then I will not buy any book whose sample is rediculously short.

Roy Evan Burstiner
Inspired Wordsmith
gstone

Re: Samples Must Be Longer!

Painterroy wrote:

I'm sick of all these samples that show almost nothing. Usually there's only a few pages, of which most of them are only the table of contents and an intro. This is never enough to judge whether or not the book might be interesting. Barnes & Noble, please give us the first chapters as the sample. Until then I will not buy any book whose sample is rediculously short.

Complain to the publishers. They establish the sample content.

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

Hear, hear!  I once raninto asample thatwas one page long.  And that was the cover!:smileylol:

Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

The Pubit books have a percentage of the book that is a sample. B&N picks the size. Mine have text and pictures and when I checked the samples, I was very pleased that there was enough of the story to give a good idea about the books. If publishers decide on the traditional ebooks, that's what they want. Two chapters is too much, IMHO.
Distinguished Correspondent
The_Most_Happy
0 Kudos

Try visiting the author's website.  Many authors feature samples on their sites, at least one chapter and sometimes 3-5 chapters for novel-length works. 

I've all but given up on BN samples.  They just take up space on my device.