Reply
Correspondent
tuck229
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎09-02-2011
0 Kudos

Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???

I'm giving a Nook Color to both of my sons for Christmas.  I want to set up an account for each of them without using my credit card.  Has anyone had any luck using a pre-paid Visa or Mastercard debit card to register a Nook account?  If so, what type did you use?

 

 

I realize that you can password protect the Nook from purchases, but I don't want to do that.  They get B&N gift cards and can register them with their own account, and I want them to be able to buy something using their gift cards without having to go "Daaaaaad--come enter the password for me, please!" or be able to buy something with their gift cards if they are away from home.

Distinguished Correspondent
ukscone
Posts: 155
Registered: ‎03-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???

I use prepaid american express cards and on the whole they work great. You just have to be aware that if you also combine it with a B&N giftcard it will still charge $1 to the prepaid amex card even if there is a balance on the giftcard, you'll get it back as it's a pending/hold transaction but can take upto 10 business days for that to happen and at least 7 days.

 

Also you can't use prepaid amex/visa/mastercards for magazine or newspaper subscriptions

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???


tuck229 wrote:

I'm giving a Nook Color to both of my sons for Christmas.  I want to set up an account for each of them without using my credit card.  Has anyone had any luck using a pre-paid Visa or Mastercard debit card to register a Nook account?  If so, what type did you use?

 

 

I realize that you can password protect the Nook from purchases, but I don't want to do that.  They get B&N gift cards and can register them with their own account, and I want them to be able to buy something using their gift cards without having to go "Daaaaaad--come enter the password for me, please!" or be able to buy something with their gift cards if they are away from home.


If the card can have an actual physical address "associated" to the card then this can work.  If it is one of those cards that you buy off a rack (ie Visa/MC/AE giftcards) then it won't work.  There have been a few threads running around concerning this.  I know that at that time, people were able to get "pre-loaded" Debit cards from their banks that had a physical address associated with the cards and those worked for them.

I hope this helps.  Happy Friday.

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Distinguished Correspondent
ukscone
Posts: 155
Registered: ‎03-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???

[ Edited ]

A_Wilson wrote:

If the card can have an actual physical address "associated" to the card then this can work.  If it is one of those cards that you buy off a rack (ie Visa/MC/AE giftcards) then it won't work.  There have been a few threads running around concerning this.  I know that at that time, people were able to get "pre-loaded" Debit cards from their banks that had a physical address associated with the cards and those worked for them.

I hope this helps.  Happy Friday.



The american express prepaid cards off the racks at the local drug store work fine. I've only had one problem and that was with an off the rack visa card but that was about a year ago before most of them let you register a name and address for online use.

 

I just put a new amex card on my account yesterday and made a purchase no problem (other than the darn pending charge).

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???


ukscone wrote:

A_Wilson wrote:

If the card can have an actual physical address "associated" to the card then this can work... 



The american express prepaid cards off the racks at the local drug store work fine. I've only had one problem and that was with an off the rack visa card but that was about a year ago before most of them let you register a name and address for online use.

 I just put a new amex card on my account yesterday and made a purchase no problem (other than the darn pending charge).


Must be that you were able to register an actual address to your AE gift card.  Good to know.  I know that a few months back there were a flurry of posts about what to do and how to get a card so that parents can let kids register their own devices but not have unlimited access to their accounts, as well as those who just don't want their debit card registered on the web indefintely.  The general consensus was that as long as an actual address can be registered to the card then it will work, if you can't register an address it won't.  That is all I was trying to relay to the OP. 

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Distinguished Correspondent
ukscone
Posts: 155
Registered: ‎03-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???


A_Wilson wrote:

ukscone wrote:

A_Wilson wrote:

If the card can have an actual physical address "associated" to the card then this can work... 



The american express prepaid cards off the racks at the local drug store work fine. I've only had one problem and that was with an off the rack visa card but that was about a year ago before most of them let you register a name and address for online use.

 I just put a new amex card on my account yesterday and made a purchase no problem (other than the darn pending charge).


Must be that you were able to register an actual address to your AE gift card.  Good to know.  I know that a few months back there were a flurry of posts about what to do and how to get a card so that parents can let kids register their own devices but not have unlimited access to their accounts, as well as those who just don't want their debit card registered on the web indefintely.  The general consensus was that as long as an actual address can be registered to the card then it will work, if you can't register an address it won't.  That is all I was trying to relay to the OP. 

 

 

You don't have to register the prepaid amex card at all. in fact there isn't anywhere to register a name and address for them, that's sometimes an advantage but it's also a disadvantage as approve any charges to any address and name if they have the card details right. Some prepaid visa cards do have a site where you have to register them prior to using online but most don't.

 

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
Posts: 244
Registered: ‎07-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???

Ok, Ok.  I was just trying to help out with the information I was given, by others here at on the boards that an address was needed.  Obviously i am wrong, sorry.  Happy Friday.

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Correspondent
tuck229
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎09-02-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???

Good info, all.  Thanks so much for sharing.

New User
Sarahhh12
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???

I just got a nook and I don't want to use a credit card, so I went and got a American Express card. When I went to add it as my credit card for my account it didn't accept it. I later then learned that you had to register the card and add your address. I then proceeded to the Amex website and it didn't let me register my gift card. Im so confused. Can you tell me how you registered your gift card please?
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,605
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???


Sarahhh12 wrote:
I just got a nook and I don't want to use a credit card, so I went and got a American Express card. When I went to add it as my credit card for my account it didn't accept it. I later then learned that you had to register the card and add your address. I then proceeded to the Amex website and it didn't let me register my gift card. Im so confused. Can you tell me how you registered your gift card please?

You cannot use a gift card as the primary card on the nook account.  You can use a pre-paid debit card, as long as the card has an address associated with it.

 

Contributor
tricespencer
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎09-03-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???

You need to call American Express and they will gladly set up your address.  I did this a few weeks ago when my son bought his girlfriend a Nook Simple Touch Glow.  I gave her the AMEX gift card and a Barnes and Noble gift care.

 

I would call the main American Express customer service number, I did not have sucess reaching a live person using the gift card number.

New User
Sarahhh12
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎11-11-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???

Do you think that there is a certain age to be able to call and create an account for my pre-paid Amex card because im under 18...?
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,605
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???


Sarahhh12 wrote:
Do you think that there is a certain age to be able to call and create an account for my pre-paid Amex card because im under 18...?

I don't know exactly which card you have, but according to this, for the PASS card, you must be 18 to purchase or register the card.

 

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/content/prepaid/pass/terms-and-conditions.html?vgnextchannel=95dd...

 

Do you have a parent or other adult who would be willing to register the card?

Correspondent
tuck229
Posts: 179
Registered: ‎09-02-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Setting up Nook Account with a PrePaid Debit Card???

It's been almost a year since I did this, but the AmEx pre-paid debit card worked fine for me right off the shelf.  I set up two accounts with it for my sons and they have been good to go for a year now.

 

The Nook Colors have proven to be one of the best purchases I have made in a long time.  But, yes, it was a drawback that B&N didn't make them more user friendly as far as setting up w/o a credit card for young people.