Contributor
2PointySticks
0 Kudos

Shelving on NST

Just picked up my NST on Wednesday, after nearly 2 years with a 1st Edition.  Really like it so far, EXCEPT...shelving is awful.  The only way I've found to shelve a book is to go to the shelf, hit "Edit", and scroll through the entire library to find the item you want to add).  Is there any way to shelve from the book itself, like with the 1st Ed?  Because with over 200 books in my collection, this way really, really sucks.

Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram

Re: Shelving on NST

This has been a pretty commen complaint so you're not alone.  Maybe they'll listen with so many complaints about the organization method.

To tell the truth I didn't like shelving on the N1E either.  I wish there was a way to do it online.

Inspired Wordsmith
Ozman69
0 Kudos

There are shelves on this one?  Guess I havne't gotten that far into it yet to notice.  But from the sounds of it, I'm not missing much either.

The above is based upon my opinion... yours may vary!
Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

That's pretty much why I only have two shelves: "read" and "currently reading". Another issue with the shelving that you may come across is shelving books that are sideloaded onto an SD card. If the NST is reset (say, for instance, because the touch screen function stops working), it is possible to lose all shelving done on the books on the SD card. It doesn't happen all the time, but it can happen. At least that has been my experience. Luckily, mine hasn't crashed since the last update, so this may have been fixed and I am just unaware of it.
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

2PointySticks wrote:

Just picked up my NST on Wednesday, after nearly 2 years with a 1st Edition.  Really like it so far, EXCEPT...shelving is awful.  The only way I've found to shelve a book is to go to the shelf, hit "Edit", and scroll through the entire library to find the item you want to add).  Is there any way to shelve from the book itself, like with the 1st Ed?  Because with over 200 books in my collection, this way really, really sucks.

That's the way it works on the NC, also. I only use a few shelves, anyway: "Read", "Classics", and "Short Stories". I try to keep it simple because I had great shelves on my N1E and then the stupid thing reset itself and started from scratch every time it shut down and I lost all of the shelves not to mention had to d/l all of my books again!! After the second time that happened to me, I pretty much decided to skip shelving at all...........LOL Now that I have ordered a NST, I find my N1E has decided to behave itself........naturally!! But I'm still not shelving on it :smileywink:

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I've skipped shelving as well.  It's just too cumbersome a system for me to use efficiently.  The returns are definitely not worth the time investment at this point as far as I'm concerned.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Frequent Contributor
CMarion
0 Kudos

There was a good thread on this in the Nook classic discussion a while back. I'm suprised that B&N did not pick up on a better shelving feature. Some of the best suggestions were:

1. Treat shelving like folders on a computer, and be able to organize your books when connected to a computer into shelves/folders. Much faster and easier to reload if ever necessary. Would be easier to keep my magazines and books separate as well.
  2.  I would like the option to put "Unshelved Books" before or after the Shelved ones.
  3. The ability to "tag" your books. Easier to list series in correct order, just sort by tags. OR...
  4. I would like the meta-data for shelves to be visible/editable enough so that Calibre can export/import that information. That way, I could use Calibre to organize my books and then simply move that organization across to the nook.
  5. Easier way to shelve the books. See 1 above. Shelving is slow, tedious and time consuming. How many clicks does it take to shelve a book?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,236
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

On the NC you can tap and hold on a book and then select Add to Shelf. Yu aren't require to go through the whole book list every time.
Contributor
DuncanWatson
0 Kudos

Correct, the NC and original nook have better options for shelving than the simple touch.  They really need to fix this.  I own all three devices and can post screen shots/photos to verify if anyone is in doubt.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

I haven't bothered much with shelving since I moved to the N2E, specifically because it is a PITA and a step backward from the merely adequate system on the N1E.

Can't be bothered with more than about 4 shelves now. (Reading, Too Be Read, and 2 genre specific)

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Although I hate the awkward shelving system on my NST (I, too, have N1E and NC which have better shelving systems), I invested the time to shelve my entire library--B&N and sideloaded titles--when I bought my NST a few weeks ago.

I have three "to be read" shelves:  Atop my Nightstand, B-list, and Catalogued for Later.  When I have finished a book, I move it to one of my genre or author shelves.   Even with 400+ titles, this is now managable for me as I purchase new content.  

I am, however, surprised that B&N would take a step backward with the shelving on NST.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

Although I hate the awkward shelving system on my NST (I, too, have N1E and NC which have better shelving systems), I invested the time to shelve my entire library--B&N and sideloaded titles--when I bought my NST a few weeks ago.

I have three "to be read" shelves:  Atop my Nightstand, B-list, and Catalogued for Later.  When I have finished a book, I move it to one of my genre or author shelves.   Even with 400+ titles, this is now managable for me as I purchase new content.  

I am, however, surprised that B&N would take a step backward with the shelving on NST.

Could have been an attempt to address all the complaints about the N1E shelving.  When it was first introduced, there were a lot of complaints about how hard it was to shelve the books, etc, so the NST has a different system.  I don't like the NST system at all, I would much prefer the N1E system.  But then, I didn't complain about the N1E system when it was first delivered.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

If you muster up the nerve to actually organize books on shelves, I find the actual shelving access process on the NST better than on the NC, as the scrolling feature is more orderly.

If they would just add the ability to tap a cover and add it to a shelf, and add an "unshelved" filter, the shelving process would be fine.

I just wish B&N would figure out a way to let you store shelves for downloading online. I have over 500 B&N books and gift my older nooks to family members who are not too computer literate; it falls to me to set up the devices, download and shelve everything. Between us we have 5 devices ( I have a ST and NT), plus I had to exchange the NC repartitioned. I'm getting VERY tired of reshelving those books everytime I upgrade.

However, I've become very efficient at shelving ( I shelve by genre + author), and once books are downloaded, I can usually get shelves set up and books organized on the colors in about 90 minutes.The NST took a little longer; probably 2 hours.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:. . . . I find the actual shelving access process on the NST better than on the NC, as the scrolling feature is more orderly.

If they would just add the ability to tap a cover and add it to a shelf, and add an "unshelved" filter, the shelving process would be fine.

. . . .

Laurieb52, you and I are a perfect example of why B&N is, perhaps, smart  to have two different systems. :smileyvery-happy: I find the NC shelf access--vertical swipe to smoothly scroll through all shelves and horizontal swipe to scroll through all books on one shelf--far more convenient than the NST shelf access--page arrows or choppy two shelf at a time scroll to see shelves and no scroll for all titles on a shelf. (Having to select "see all" to list all the books on a shelf and then back out to see all shelves again just takes too many steps for me.  Oh my!  Haven't I been spoiled by my NC?! :smileyvery-happy:)

I, however, absolutely agree that the ability to tap a cover and add it to a shelf  and an "unshelved" filter would be great additions to the NST. 

Contributor
DuncanWatson
0 Kudos

Personally the way to view a shelf is not difficult on the NC or the NST.  I happen to prefer the NC method but overall I find the NST viewing of shelves easy.

OTOH I hate the NST methods to shelve books and I too would love the ability to tap a cover and add it to a shelf such as I have on the NC.

Frequent Contributor
CMarion
0 Kudos

Just got my NST and I am thrilled. So light, so crisp. The touch screen is a vast, and I mean vast, improvement over the Classic. Shelving seems to be fairly easy and I am finding my way around. Have a train trip to NYC tomorrow. I look forward to reading my way down the rails.

I have to admit, I downloaded a few of my books, side loaded a few more and started reading. I will find the features as I need them. Thank you B&N.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

I like the touch and swipe interface for perusing the shelves on the NC but otherwise I detest how shelving is implemented on both my NC and NST.

It would be great if B&N made an open source API for shelving so Calibre or other programs could be used to manipulate shelving and order on the shelf (as well as store configurations for when we upgrade platforms or have to reset software).  I just find the Nook interface to be pretty cumbersome when I have 800 books to sort through.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

It would be great if B&N made an open source API for shelving so Calibre or other programs could be used to manipulate shelving and order on the shelf (as well as store configurations for when we upgrade platforms or have to reset software).

Excellent idea!

I think someone over at XDA-Developers has done simple manipulations of the shelf tables on a rooted NST by updating the sqllite tables directly. But no one lacking good technical experience would ever want to undertake that, nor should they have to.

Your solution would relieve the B&N developers of having to design and implement any specific interface for shelving. They would just have to expose the underlying functionality via an API and let the third-party developers do all the work.

Now if there were only some faint indication that anyone from the Nook software team ever reads these boards or becomes aware of ideas posted here...:smileysurprised:

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Frequent Contributor
pomtroll
0 Kudos

This is one area I'm disappointed in my new NST.  I find Sony's collections nicer & easier to use. Other than the shelves & lack of translations dictionaries, I'm happy with my Nook.

Contributor
StogieMOE
0 Kudos

2PointySticks wrote:

Couldn't agree more it FREAKIN' SUCKS!  My wife's Kindle Touch has a great system that I wish Barnes & Noble would take and possibly make it even better!

My stogie is good & stinky!