Inspired Contributor
squirrelsnest
0 Kudos

Re: Shelving on NST

StogieMOE wrote:

Couldn't agree more it FREAKIN' SUCKS!  My wife's Kindle Touch has a great system that I wish Barnes & Noble would take and possibly make it even better!

Very true. I've been waiting for months for them to release an update to the shelving system. I just don't understand why they couldn't take the same system from N1. I know this new system would require different programmers, but the requirements should have been the same (or better). Instead they come out with a half baked solution. *sigh*

Frequent Contributor
CMarion
0 Kudos

I hope they do not go back to the N1 shelving. I found that system tedious and very annoying. The results were nice, but tracking down the unshelved, losing the shelving with resets, and the slow shelving and reshelving a pain. Not too fond of the new system either but I find it easier to shelve, but not necessarily easier to move books around.

I like a system of Reading, Read, and a few shelves for genre. Moving from Reading to Read should be easier and the tiny edit button is a joke....I have small fingers and miss it half the time!

Love my new Nook though. The size, weight, speed and ease of reading is delightful!

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

If they would just add the ability to add books to shelves individually, that would solve most of my problems with the shelving system. It just frustrates me that the Sony Reader I bought many years ago (it is the PRS-500, which I believe was the first one they made) had that ability and we don't have it on a second generation Nook yet. Here's hoping for a fix for it in the next update.
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Agreed.  Shelving is awful on the new Nook.  I have 11 dozen books so far.  I should not have to scroll through all of them to put one on a shelf.  Also it's ridiculous that there is no way to find out which books are not yet shelved.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

CMarion wrote:

I hope they do not go back to the N1 shelving. I found that system tedious and very annoying. The results were nice, but tracking down the unshelved, losing the shelving with resets, and the slow shelving and reshelving a pain. Not too fond of the new system either but I find it easier to shelve, but not necessarily easier to move books around.

I like a system of Reading, Read, and a few shelves for genre. Moving from Reading to Read should be easier and the tiny edit button is a joke....I have small fingers and miss it half the time!

Love my new Nook though. The size, weight, speed and ease of reading is delightful!

Tracking down the unshelved books on the N1E isn't all that difficult, since there's an "unshelved" shelf.  There is no way to identify which books haven't been shelved on the NST.  The shelving/organization on the NST makes me nuts.  I am almost considering going back to reading primarily on the N1E because of it.  I like reading the NST because it is so much lighter and has a much better battery life, but not if I can't easily organize my books.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Tracking down the unshelved books on the N1E isn't all that difficult, since there's an "unshelved" shelf.  There is no way to identify which books haven't been shelved on the NST.  The shelving/organization on the NST makes me nuts.  I am almost considering going back to reading primarily on the N1E because of it.  I like reading the NST because it is so much lighter and has a much better battery life, but not if I can't easily organize my books.

Lighter and much better battery life can't be changed but shelving can.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

Lighter and much better battery life can't be changed but shelving can.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

So am I.  Actually, I'm thinking of writing an actual letter to the CEO (I know he'll ever see it) asking if they are trying to make it difficult to buy books for the Nooks.  And while on earth can I only get to the main wishlist on the mobile site.  I was hoping to use that as a workaround when I'm in the store browsing, but it seems there is no way to access the Nookbook wishlist from a mobile device.

Contributor
Mockduck
0 Kudos

I was actually unaware that there was a shelving system on the nook simple touch...how does one get started with it?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

AlanNJ wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

Just make sure keeping your fingers crossed doesn't interfere with your page turning, 'cause I think (based on history) we'll be waiting a loooong time.  :smileysad:

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

OK new to any e-reader, so NST shelving is the first I have ever used. I have nothing to compare it to.. Over all it seemed simple enough to use.. Two things I did not like..

1) Once I shelved a book I was surprised when I started a 2nd shelve to see the shelved & unshelved books still in the selection. It should only show the unshelved books.

2) I was surprised I could not order the shelves, at least alphabetically. I first made up Mysteries, then Other (in which I put the user Guides into).. Came out with Others first & Mysteries 2nd.. Not even alphabetical.. Just Last shelf created at top.. This means most likely your most used & popular shelves will fall to the bottom, as you add shelves as you go, so selves for rarely purchased genres are created last. Maybe I just have not discovered a sorting option?

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

moose_tracker wrote:

OK new to any e-reader, so NST shelving is the first I have ever used. I have nothing to compare it to.. Over all it seemed simple enough to use.. Two things I did not like..

1) Once I shelved a book I was surprised when I started a 2nd shelve to see the shelved & unshelved books still in the selection. It should only show the unshelved books.

2) I was surprised I could not order the shelves, at least alphabetically. I first made up Mysteries, then Other (in which I put the user Guides into).. Came out with Others first & Mysteries 2nd.. Not even alphabetical.. Just Last shelf created at top.. This means most likely your most used & popular shelves will fall to the bottom, as you add shelves as you go, so selves for rarely purchased genres are created last. Maybe I just have not discovered a sorting option?

Shelves can be ordered by most recent or name. Unfortunately, they dropped the option of ordering the shelves however you want (which they had in the N1E version).

I suppose the way around this would be to number them, then title them (e.g. 1. Reading Now, 2. Reading Next, 3. Sci-Fi, 4. Mystery) but that's too much of a pain for me. I'll wait for further developments and hope they get this (somewhat) right in 2012.

Frequent Contributor
CMarion

1. To your number one issue, all books when creating a new shelf, yes I wish we could filter, but I also include books in more than one shelf....so I need all those books.

I don't like the fact that my archived books all show up when shelving, they are archived for a reason and I don't need to click through all my monthly magazine subscriptions to get to my books.

2. You can sort shelves by Most Recent or Shelf Name and mine sort alphabetically by Shelf Name.

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

It's possible tomitigate, though not solve, the scrolling issue.  If you hold down the page-turn button, the NST will fast-forward through the list.  As long as you know what book you're looking for, you can get to it fairly fast.  Helpful if youhave a lerge number of pages in your library.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

For that matter if you know what you're looking for you can just type part of the author name or book title in search and it will find it instantly.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, when you're editing a shelf to add or remove a book froom it, there's no search function.  I know; I couldn't believe it either.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

RJR443 wrote:

Unfortunately, when you're editing a shelf to add or remove a book froom it, there's no search function.  I know; I couldn't believe it either.

That's right. No search function. No filtering function. No sorting function. Nothing but scroll, scroll, scroll.

As I've written elsewhere, this feature was apparently designed by someone who was picturing a few dozen books, max, in one's whole library. When you have hundreds, shelving is simply out of the question unless you have the kind of personality that enjoys investing hours of tedium in such a task. (I'm not knocking it. I'm just not like that myself.)

This forum contains a number of excellent suggestions for improving the shelving. I won't repeat them. I just hope B&N is listening.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Inspired Contributor
squirrelsnest
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:
As I've written elsewhere, this feature was apparently designed by someone who was picturing a few dozen books, max, in one's whole library. When you have hundreds, shelving is simply out of the question unless you have the kind of personality that enjoys investing hours of tedium in such a task. (I'm not knocking it. I'm just not like that myself.)

Even if someone does have the time, I wouldn't recommend spending that time organizing hundreds of books on the NST shelves. If anything ever happens to it, all of that time is wasted because there is no way to backup your shelves. If you need to replace the Touch or you need to restore the software....all of the shelves will go away.

I don't even both with shelves. For now, I just keep a few books on it--ones I am reading or will read soon, and ones that I could re-read at any time. If they ever fix the shelves and make them available for backup then I might add all of my books and sort them into shelves.

*sigh*

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

squirrelsnest wrote:

Even if someone does have the time, I wouldn't recommend spending that time organizing hundreds of books on the NST shelves. If anything ever happens to it, all of that time is wasted because there is no way to backup your shelves. If you need to replace the Touch or you need to restore the software....all of the shelves will go away.

I don't use the shelves either, for this very reason.

I do keep all of my books on it; nearly 700, but I just sort by author and then page through them.

Shelves are nice, but I find I'm fine without them.  I'd rather have more reading improvements; better dictionary, more fonts, than a fix to the organization.

Not that we shouldn't have good organization, we should, but it's a lower priority to me than more font choices (for readability) and a better dictionary (enhances reading.)

I admit that I don't use my NOOK for technical work, for research, for work; it's all leisure reading, so my priorities probably don't gel with someone who uses it as a tool rather than a toy...

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

moose_tracker wrote:

The reason it still shows all of the books is to allow you to put a book on more than one shelf.  For instance, I have a series of books, so I created a shelf for it, but I also put the books on my "Read" or "Unread" shelves, so I know that not only do I have to book, but whether or not I've read it.

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

The reason it still shows all of the books is to allow you to put a book on more than one shelf.  For instance, I have a series of books, so I created a shelf for it, but I also put the books on my "Read" or "Unread" shelves, so I know that not only do I have to book, but whether or not I've read it.

I guess, it still seems weird that is the default..  Coming from a physical world of books, I can only shelf a book in one spot.. Coming from a pc world, you need to ask to copy and paste if you want the book to show up in two spots..

Seems like there should be someway to filter out un-shelved books so you know which books still need to be shelfed.