New User
megsterl
0 Kudos

Should I be backing my books up?

Ok this may seem like a rather simple question but should I be backing my book up to my computer some how?  I have had my nook tablet since christmas and I had a nook 1st edition before that, and I have never backed my books up.  I always just assumed that since it was linked to my barnes and noble account the books would always be there. How would I go about backing these files up? an SD card?

Also I have my nook tablet and an app for my Iphone registered to my account.  My 1st addtion is also registered under the same account.  How many devices am I allowed to have under one account? Would unregistering my 1st generation allow for another device?  another words if im allowed 3 and I currently have 3 then unregister one would I still have one registration available? 

I have been hearing a lot about side loading can anyone explain this to me in simple terms.  I read someone talking about side loading their books and emailing them to their friends, is that possible, even legal? or side loading from their device and loading onto someone else devices, how does this work.  I never realized how uneducated I was on the nook. 

Inspired Contributor
robertVA
0 Kudos

Re: Should I be backing my books up?

I beleive you should back up your books. It's pretty easy. Just load the Nook app on your computer, sync it with B&N's server and use the app's interface to seperately download each eBook to your computer's hard drive. On rare occasions an eBook publisher withdraws authorization for B&N (or other retailers) to sell a paticular eBook and the retailer has no option but to withdraw the eBook from their server, making a repeat download impossible.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I'm an advocate of backing up your books.  There is no limit of devices, B&N DRM isn't tied to devices, but to the credit card on file.  Sideloading is simply connecting your Nook to your computer and putting books on that way instead of direct downloading them.  Yes, you can share your eBooks with your friends/family, you just have to be willing to share your credit card number with them so they can unlock them.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

For content purchased from B&N, why would backing up be necessary?  The content it maintained by B&N and tied to your account.   That's why when your NT breaks and you get a replacement, the content is there for you when you tie the new tablet to your account.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

[ Edited ]

PJLLB wrote:

For content purchased from B&N, why would backing up be necessary?  The content it maintained by B&N and tied to your account.   That's why when your NT breaks and you get a replacement, the content is there for you when you tie the new tablet to your account.

Because no ebookstore can guarantee that ebooks will always be available for redownloading.

Ebooks can become unavailable:

- When the contract between B&N and a publisher is not renewed, or cancelled

- When a publisher goes bankrupt

- When an author leaves a publisher.

- When you delete a book by accident.

- All kinds of other reasons

A lot of Fictionwise customers lost books when the agency model was introduced.

No-one knows what will happen when the agency model settlement becomes active this summer, and three large publishers will have to negotiate new contracts to replace the current agency model contracts.

So always make a backup of your ebooks!

And if you use Nook for PC to download the books, remember to copy them to another folder as a backup, because otherwise the books will still sync with your B&N account.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

"why would backing up be necessary?"

Cloud services crash.  BN's cloud went sideways for several hours about a year ago.  During the outage, many Nook Color owners who had wifi on had their device remotely reset by BN and could not get their library back until the problem was resolved. 

Amazon and Microsoft have had much worse failures: 

http://articles.businessinsider.com/2011-04-28/tech/29958976_1_amazon-customer-customers-data-data-l...

http://www.roughlydrafted.com/2009/10/11/microsofts-danger-sidekick-data-loss-casts-dark-on-cloud-co...

What is your recourse if your ISP and BN's ISP get into a dispute and stop playing well together? 

http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2008/10/31/peering-dispute-between-cogent-sprint/

What happens if you find you need to reset your device during such a window? 

Oh and then there's the clause in the EULA for the Nook devices that actually says 'back up your data':

"These Terms of Service (this "Agreement") is a legally binding agreement made by and between Barnes & Noble, Inc. ("we," "us," or "our") and you regarding your use of your NOOKcolor™ eReader ("NOOKcolor").

"WE AND OUR SUPPLIERS OR LICENSORS MAY, WITHOUT FURTHER NOTICE TO YOU, PERIODICALLY ACCESS YOUR NOOKcolor REMOTELY TO UPDATE, MODIFY, ADD TO OR UPGRADE THE SOFTWARE. IN RARE INSTANCES, SUCH UPDATES, MODIFICATIONS, ADDITIONS OR UPGRADES MAY CAUSE DATA LOSS OR OTHER ISSUES. YOU ARE SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR REGULARLY BACKING UP THE DATA STORED ON YOUR NOOKcolor TO PREVENT THIS FROM OCCURRING. "

Identical language is in the Tablet EULA at

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/u/Terms-of-Service-NOOK-Tablet/379003280

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I wholeheartedly agree with other posters that you should back up your books, and with their reasons why. There are several ways to do so; I use a combination of these:

1. Copy all of your content to your computer hard drive
  2. Back up all of your content on removable media (e.g., on an SDcard, portable USB drive, or CD-Rom),
  3. Back up all of your content via a sync/storage service that you can save files to/retrieve files from using any device you choose, and
  4. Download free Calibre eBook Management Software to your hard drive, and then use it to store and manage your eBooks and documents library.  (Unfortunately, Calibre does not manage apps, but it has some really great features for books and documents!)         
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Although the Nook Store offers the DropBox and Box apps, which one can use to backup eBooks, videos, images, and docs, I don't know of any way to back up apps and their settings on an unrooted Nook operating in the Nook OS. This presents the previously-mentioned problems, should one ever lose or have to reset one's Nook.

In contrast, I am able to easily back up all apps, settings, and content stored on the "Android side" of my unrooted 16G Nook Tablet when operating in "Android mode", accessed using a dual-boot microSD card. (I created mine using AndroidForNook's downloadable software.) When operating my Nook Tablet on the "Android side", I have full access to Google Play and other app stores, which offer many choices for backing up apps and content, not to mention a greater selection of apps than those offered in BN's walled prison, er, ecosystem.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

I havent' used one of the n2a style cards in a long time and never used it for more than a day or so, so I can't remember - but it seems that if  you have an n2a card you should be able to use it back up the 

/data

partition or at least /data/media

/data holds all of your Android apps and their data (but restoring data as such would be tricky)

/data/media is the default location for your BN books, etc.  Very easy to get access to it when booted from n2a.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.