AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Re: Should I buy a Glowlight?

[ Edited ]

Every review I've seen of the Kindle Paper White says it puts the Nook Glow to shame.  If that's the case then I would think B&N would HAVE to come out with something very soon or they will lose new adopters by the truckload.

For that matter, anyone who knows how to remove DRM from a B&N book would probably be considering a move for the first time as well.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's actually easier and more secure to unlock Amazon's DRM than BNs.  Unlocking BN's in a relatively permanent fashion via Calibre involves either creating a live unlock and leaving Calibre configured with that, or downloading a certain amount of crypto software to generate a synthetic token that matches the live (generated with name and cc #) token.  You can do the process manually per-title but that's (IMO) annoying.  

Amazon's DRM is based on device ID and the easiest route around it is simply to install Kindle onto your computer and then let the DRM tools yank the info they need out of that install.  

I haven't really looked much at how well Kindles do with epub formats, nor how well epub converts to the Kindle-supported formats.

Simple books convert very well from Amazon to epub format.  

More complicated books are a challenge to get right.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

Yes, reviews have been highly positive for the Kindle PW. I don't know if B&N has a near-term product to challenge this latest Kindle, but if there is any chance of getting one out in time for this holiday shopping season, they ought to announce it now. I ordered a Kindle PW for myself today despite the fact that I already have a NSTG, and I suspect at least some other NSTG owners will do likewise.

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG

yes the reviews have been positive for the Kindle; however the Nook glow is a great device. I have it and have not problem with the contrast or the screen. I highly recommend it. Remember that in electronics what's number one today can be dethroned by the next new device that is released.
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

MusicmanGG wrote:
yes the reviews have been positive for the Kindle; however the Nook glow is a great device. I have it and have not problem with the contrast or the screen. I highly recommend it. Remember that in electronics what's number one today can be dethroned by the next new device that is released.

Which is why I said that B&N needs to come out with an update to the NSTG very soon if it doesn't want to lose customers.  

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Nothing on this thread since October, so just wondering what thoughts are now?

My wifi 1st gen NOOK (before Simple touch) is going bad, using Square Trade warranty I am getting original purchase price for that obsolete, 2+ years old device to get a new reader, and have money left. Yeah! Can't beat it. (SQ warranty cost me about $25, so still ahead of game on price by a few bucks, even if going for Glow instead of just Simple Touch)

So question is, what do folks think about the Glow these days? The CNET review says it's resolution is better than ST, but some here say otherwise? In any case, I assume it will look better than on my 1st gen, so will be an upgrade for me. Kindle purchase NOT on the table, for many reasons. Yes, I realize I could buy one today and they will come out with a  new one tomorrow, such is life.

I have had some people telling me there are screen glitches with the Glow, but not finding much online. Have read some about the "tearing" that allows light to show through from back. Is this still happening? Common? How soon is it likely to happen? IOW, could I still just return to BN in their 14 day return window, or whatever it is?

I see that the ST without light is now only $79, vs $119 for the lit version. What do folks think, worth it? I HAVE a light, one I have had for my old NOOK, so wouldn't need to by one if not getting lit version now. But I have held the ST in stores, and not sure I want a cover for it. Love the feel in my hands, and would need a cover to use light. It's the M-Edge one that slides between device and cover.

Any input appreciated! As soon as weather clears enough to get out and ship old one to Square Trade, I'll be getting a new one, since I don't want to go without my NOOK for long. I do have a Galaxy Tab I read on sometimes, but don't like it nearly as much as the e-ink.

Thanks to any who can help with the decision!

LisaB

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,336
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

With the Nook Glow, we haven't seen hardly any problem reports lately.

Note that while the return period is normally 14 days, the standard warranty is one year (more if you buy the extended warranty).

Nooks: 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted; 2x Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted;
    HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

Haleakala, 

I would purchase the Glow.  It's been proven to be quite a good device in terms of size, weight, portability and especially screen sharpness.  The light works well, it's not to bright, and unlike other e-readers in the market, the Glow's light may be turned off. The bluish color on the screen, when the light is on, does not, IMO,hurt your eyes.

A lot of the covers and other essential articles are on sale now.  Check bn.com

Good luck, 

Lector GS
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

I purchased the Glow to upgrade my Nook Simple Touch after my recent Hurricane Sandy experience.  I have been pleasantly surprised and definitely not disappointed.

I did consider the Kindle but although the screen is supposed to be slightly better it was more important to me that the device be comfortable to hold.  The Glow has an indentation in the back that makes it easy to hold without getting tired.  Also, I like having buttons on the side of the device in case I am holding the device with one hand and it's not convenient to tap the screen.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

I bought my Glowlight in July.  The first one developed a "tear" in the screen after a few months.  The refurb replacement they sent me developed a similar tear after a week.  The brand new replacement they sent me developed the same kind of tear a few weeks ago, just before we started down to Mexico to spend the winter on the beach.  

Fortunately, this time the screen defect is not as large as the previous two.  I can live with it until we return to the States.

Should you buy a Glowlight?  Only if you are patient enough to repeatedly send it back for replacement and prepared to buy a new eReader when the warranty expires.

Dave
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

FulltimeRVer wrote:

I bought my Glowlight in July.  The first one developed a "tear" in the screen after a few months.  The refurb replacement they sent me developed a similar tear after a week.  The brand new replacement they sent me developed the same kind of tear a few weeks ago, just before we started down to Mexico to spend the winter on the beach.  

Fortunately, this time the screen defect is not as large as the previous two.  I can live with it until we return to the States.

Should you buy a Glowlight?  Only if you are patient enough to repeatedly send it back for replacement and prepared to buy a new eReader when the warranty expires.

There are also plenty of people who never see the tearing issue. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Thanks to everyone who replied to my questions about the Glowlight. I did get it, so far loving it. Taking hte possible "tear" issue into conisderation. I am thinking it may be l=ike the 2st gen NOOK with the cracking page turn buttons. SOmething that got fixed as later editions came out. I had a 1st gen (WiFi only) and never had a bezel problem.

Thanks again to all for taking the time to reply!

LisaB

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 527
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Re: Should I buy a Glowlight? NO NO and NO!