Contributor
nb814
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Should we expect any more new devices?

I have the original Nook Color which I love. I bought it new 3 years ago and it is going to need to be replaced soon. The Nook HD seems to fill my needs but I was holding off buying one until after the new device announcements.

Should I hold off a little longer or buy now?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Re: Should we expect any more new devices?

It was stated at the press event yesterday that there will be no new color devices released by BN this year.

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez

flyingtoastr wrote:

It was stated at the press event yesterday that there will be no new color devices released by BN this year.

That's fine by me. I love both my HD and HD+. They get badmouthed a lot by people who want more from them than I do, but that doesn't bother me. Even with Google Play, even with N2A or AFN, they are not full-on Android devices, but that should not be why you buy one. It's an enhanced ebook reader first and foremost. Buying it and expecting to perform like a Google Nexus or Samsung Tab or, horrors!, an iPad is not reasonable. If you want that performance, spend the money to get it. Just the opinion of a little old guy in Whine Country.

Reader 4
Missy823
0 Kudos

So does that mean there will be another second generation NST? Or is B&N done for the year.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193

I'll second that Iochnez. I want my device to be an eReader first and foremost. Everything else is just icing on the cake. I have an HD+ and now the new NGL and I'm set. For those occasions when I need to do more, I have computers at home and at work.  So long as my reading experience is top notch, I will not complain of any of the other things it may not be able to do or do well. While some people hate being tied to Amazon (Kindle) or B&N (Nook), I have no problem with it as I only buy from them anyway.  Like you, I will be completely happy to go on my merry way with the capabilities of my HD+ and NGL

Frequent Contributor
gritsgal

At a pricepoint of $149 for a HD+ I think the Nook is the best buy on the market. No it's not a real tablet but it also costs less than the Nexus 10 and it is an excellent device for reading and watching movies and TV. I have had no problems with the Kindle app for those few books that are not available on BN. 

I recently purchased one for my Father-in-law who has failing eyesight. The Nook allows him to pleasure of being able to read without difficulty.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

I spent twice that for my HD+ a year ago, and I don't think it was money wasted.  It's an incredible device for the price.  I don't use it for movies or TV--that's what the big screen TV  is for.  But it's a wonderfuyl redier with a crisp screen and as good a browser as a tablet can be.  I'm not a big gamer, but its played games like Quell very well.  I'm totally happy with mine--even having spent full price.

Frequent Contributor
ankala

Why do some of you say it's not a "real" tablet? Why isn't it a real tablet? Do you say that because it does not have a camera?

I put the $14.99 (mobi?) app that allows me to view and edit Word (et al) files on mine, though I have not used it much.

I have watched movies on it, as well as enjoying the outstanding (Adobe) e-reader.

Sure, it does not have the camera. But the phones that don't have a camera are still phones.

It costs way less than the ipad, and it is just as good as the ipad minus the camera. The resolution is excellent.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

I could never see he sene of a backward facing camera on a tablet.  I've been places where I've seen folks holding up iPads to take photos--SO cumbersome!  I can see the point with a forward facing camera for things like Skype...but, just not a deal breaker for me.  I consider my HD+ to be a tablet--and quite a competent one at that.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

[ Edited ]

I use a rear-facing camera all the time to capture whiteboards during meetings. I take handwritten notes on my tablet, then snap a pic to embed it directly in my notes. I can annotate it or just have it handy for future reference. At the end of the meeting, I can email a PDF copy of the notes, complete with whiteboard snaps, to all my colleague before they even get back to their desks. It sure beats having a dirty whiteboard a week later with "DO NOT ERASE" written in big letters in one corner.

I do the same thing on site walk-throughs, capturing pictures of various issues for embedding in my notes. I can write notes directly on the embedded pictures directly after taking the picture. It beats using a camera or smartphone camera and trying later to remember what site a series of pictures correspond to.

A few years back, there were long and heated debates about whether the NOOK devices were "tablets" or not. The general consensus at that time was that they're "media-consumption tablets", or "ereaders plus", but not "general purpose tablets." It got to the point that some folks were defensively insisting that the NT was a tablet, yet were quick to point out that it was only intended to be a media consumption device when anybody complained about performance or capabilities.

Now that the HD/+ line has access to the Google Play Store, the lines have blurred a bit more, but they still lack cameras, GPS, and a variety of other sensors that most products referred to as "tablet" include. It's more a question of clarifying what class of device you mean. If you have never had those features, or don't need them, go ahead and call it a tablet if you like. They're nice little devices for what they do, especially at the current prices.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

Now that B&N has given up on trying to go it alone outside the Google system, a device with a good quality rear camera is an option, because they can rely on Google's photo tools rather than having Yet Another Catch-up development overhead ~ but by the same time, now that they have given up trying to go it alone outside the Google system, they no longer have any substantial reason to try to design their own full bells and whistles device, they can just pick one, or several, without being limited to those manufacturers willing to live outside the Google system.

For what they are, the HD and HD+ have knocked off all the rough edges of the original Nook Color. An incremental upgrade with either lighter weight or higher capacity battery, more RAM and faster processor would be an HD2 and HD2+, but the screen of the HD is excellent, and with the screen being the major cost component, sticking with that screen would allow the price to be even lower next year.

A strategic introduction might be a keyboard cradle for the HD+ with its own supplemental battery and USB ports, in advance of the 2014/15 school year.

bobstro

While it'd be neat to see what B&N could come up with a 2nd generation of the HD family, I suspect they'd have to sell at a high enough price to put them in the same price range of a lot of more capable 7 inch tablets. B&N has probably learned the lessons of trying to compete on tablet hardware.

What I wish they'd do is focus on making their software more robust and featureful for hardcore reading. There is a lot that could be improved, and any improvements would roll out to a lot more non-B&N devices, reaching more customers. A killer B&N reading app running on Kindle Fires would probably drive Amazon nuts.

keriflur
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin wrote:

I could never see he sene of a backward facing camera on a tablet.  I've been places where I've seen folks holding up iPads to take photos--SO cumbersome!  I can see the point with a forward facing camera for things like Skype...but, just not a deal breaker for me.  I consider my HD+ to be a tablet--and quite a competent one at that.

When I was in Europe a couple of months ago I saw tourists all over the place taking photos with their ipads.  Some were selfies, which are just going on instagram or facebook and who cares about quality, but most of them were people taking photos of St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna or the clocktower in Prague or other major landmarks.  These were the photos they were going to go home with from their trip and show to friends and family - photos from a hard-to-hold 5mp camera that aren't even as good as what you'd get out of a disposable bought at a local drugstore.

I don't get it.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

BFCoughlin wrote:

When I was in Europe a couple of months ago I saw tourists all over the place taking photos with their ipads.  Some were selfies, which are just going on instagram or facebook and who cares about quality, but most of them were people taking photos of St. Stephen's Cathedral in Vienna or the clocktower in Prague or other major landmarks.  These were the photos they were going to go home with from their trip and show to friends and family - photos from a hard-to-hold 5mp camera that aren't even as good as what you'd get out of a disposable bought at a local drugstore.

I don't get it.

Yep seeing it here all the time when I'm out & about on camera shoots for Stock photography all the time. They even look at me funny as I am there composing a composition of city skyline with my Nikon D90 mounted on a tripod with my Sigma 10-20. And look at me like I'm some kind of silly dinosaur.

Well guess it just comes down to the masses perference for convenience over quality.I see this with snapshooters with a great performing dslr then slap a 3rd party all-in-one 18-2 or 300mm zoom as they whine about having to lug extra lenses and changing lenses is such a drag. I really do want to smack them really hard sometimes! :smileysurprised:

If I'm spending thousands on a unique travel experience then I want to capture that experience with the right tools to get the best results possible.

But for many it's about the convenience of instant instagram me this and facebook that kind of affair.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
keriflur
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

If I'm spending thousands on a unique travel experience then I want to capture that experience with the right tools to get the best results possible.

Yeah, this is me too - I bought a nice, sharp 24mm prime for my trip.  Carrying the 50D and two primes isn't so bad weight-wise, and the photos I got are amazing.

Reader 4
Missy823
0 Kudos

So, will there be a HD/HD + Nook next year?

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

I don't think there's any information on this one way or another. It's all pure speculation.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

orb9220 wrote:

[...] Well guess it just comes down to the masses perference for convenience over quality. [...]

In fairness, that's not a new phenomenon. Before digital, you'd see people in the same circumstances pull out 110 pocket cameras, instamatics and polaroids. Of course, as often as not, those people were enjoying themselves instead of laboring over the perfect shot. It's a trade-off. I don't know why you'd want to haul around a 10 inch tablet in those circumstances though, especially if carrying a smartphone.

MacMcK1957

[ Edited ]
Realistically, the camera in my phone is pretty good (as good as that old instamatic, anyway). The only times I have ever used the back-facing camera on my ipad were for taking pictures of checks for automatic deposit and of prescription bottles for automatic refills, and I could use my phone for either. So the back-facing camera on a tablet really doesn't provide any added value for me.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Blunty3000 gives 10 reasons why the Nexus 7 lacking a rear facing camera is dumb ~ I expect he'd have a similar view of the Nook.

But like I said, there's no longer any reason a Nook branded LCD tablet has to be designed by B&N, so its now straightforward to give the choice in store. It would, indeed, be part of the feature set to justify the higher price point for a new LCD tablet, since the lack of the camera makes the Nook HD/HD+ design the ideal choice to push down into lower price points rather than upfeature.