Contributor
LindaRosita
0 Kudos

Sideloading question

So I have looked at a lot of things, and all I really find is sideloading books from your computer. I do not have any on my computer. I installed a memory card so that I may have more room, but I do not know how to add books on there. I usually add books from the nook store directly on my nook. Is there a way to get them to go to my memory card? or move what is already there to it? How do I utilize all that extra room? I look at my folders and there are no books listed there. I use a simple touch.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Re: Sideloading question

The easy way to maintain books that are not DRM is to use the freeware Calibre. It wil show you what is on your computer, what is on your Nook and what is on your SD card and easily transfer and delete books as you desire. Go to calibre-ebook.com to download the program. For books that are DRM, but not from B&N you need to use Adobe Digital Editions, again freeware, but not nearly so friendly.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

LindaRosita wrote:

So I have looked at a lot of things, and all I really find is sideloading books from your computer. I do not have any on my computer. I installed a memory card so that I may have more room, but I do not know how to add books on there. I usually add books from the nook store directly on my nook. Is there a way to get them to go to my memory card? or move what is already there to it? How do I utilize all that extra room? I look at my folders and there are no books listed there. I use a simple touch.

There is no way to move books that you've downloaded to your nook from your download folder to your SD card.  The SD card is only for books that you've sideloaded from your computer.  However, if you're low on space in the internal memory of your nook, you can download some books you already own to your computer via Nook for PC or NookStudy (which works on both PC and Mac), then sideload them to your SD card from your computer.  You would then archive the same books in your Nook account to remove them from your internal storage.

Contributor
LindaRosita
0 Kudos

thank you! I am downloading it right now. It is the first ray of hope in a while. I know I can just archive items. but a whole card is there unused and that is a waste. and I have a hard time choosing what to archive

Contributor
LindaRosita
0 Kudos

ok. how do i get it to show the books on my nook? I click on Device but it shows it is empty...

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

First off, make sure the file names all have only one period, such as <name of nook or isbn or something>.epub, not .v1.epub or .epub.epub.  If your computer is not set to show file extensions, you should just see the name or ISBN, not the .epub at all.  Sometimes when the books are downloaded from the PC apps the file has an extra file extension and this confuses the nook.

Next, make sure that you're putting the books into the correct folder on the SD card.  They should go into the books folder.  If you don't have that folder, then your SD card might not be formatted properly.  To format, go to Settings --> Device Info.  First check that under SD Card it says "SD card found."  If it doesn't, then the nook is not seeing the card.  If it does, select SD Card, and then select Format SD Card.  Please note that this will delete everything on the card, so make sure you've got everything you want backed up on your computer.  Once the formatting is complete, connect your nook to your PC and transfer the epub files to the books folder (I think it might say "My Books).  Then the books should just show up in your library.