Contributor
Quirkifer
0 Kudos

Simple Touch vs. Color

I am starting to come around to the idea of Nooks and Kindles. I read a lot. I rarely go anywhere without a book with me. I do most of my reading at night, but also like to read outside and in the car. I've heard that is a negative with the Nook Colors is that in bright lights it can be hard to read. I work outside in the summer in the sun and have to wear sunglasses, so I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to use it then. But I also read every night, so I'm concerned about the lack of a backlight on the Simple Touch.

I was playing around with a SimpleTouch and a Nook Color today to compare, and I like the extra features/apps on the Color, and I'd probably use them if I had them, but I'm not sure that I actually need them.

Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on which would be better for me? The Nook SimpleTouch or the Nook Color for someone who reads constantly, both at night, and in the bright sun?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Simple Touch vs. Color

For anyone who reads a lot for long periods of time I recommend the N2E over the NC.

Reading on the N2E is a lot like reading a regular book.  You can see the text really well in bright sunlight and you need a light to read in the evening.  In the evening with the N2E you would just do whatever you're doing now to be able to read at night with a regular book.  The great thing about the N2E is that you can buy a light that works with it (or just turn on a light), but with the NC there's not really anything you can do in bright sunlight other than to move into the shade.

Also, a lot of people have a hard time falling asleep if they use a backlit screen before bed.  I'm one of those people.  With the N2E it's just like reading a book, I can put it down and fall asleep right away when I'm tired.

Reader 4
MarmaladeCat
0 Kudos

I have a Simple Touch which I love.  It's small enough to fit in the side pocket of my purse so it goes everywhere with me.  Reading outside in bright sun or in the office under lights is no problem. As for reading in low light, I have one of those little inexpensive LED clip on book lights that works perfectly when clipped to the Nook cover. I use a screen cover to cut any glare and the light adjusts easily.  I have used back-lit readers before and I tend to get eye strain if I read too long.

Contributor
Quirkifer
0 Kudos

This is probably a stupid question, and shows how completely lost I am in the realm of eReaders, but what is N2E?

keriflur

[ Edited ]

Sorry, should have been more clear.

N2E = Nook Simple Touch Reader (aka Nook 2nd Edition)

It's forum shorthand.

Also:

N1E = Nook Classic

NC = Nook Color

NT = Nook Tablet

You'll see these used pretty often in the forums.

Contributor
Quirkifer
0 Kudos

Thanks.

I am very new at looking into these types of things. My parents ask me every year if I want one for Christmas or my birthday, etc. and I keep saying no. I feel like I might miss having actual books. But more and more people are telling me all the pros to having them, so I figure I'll start doing some research. And the school I teach at has a few Nooks in the library, so I was able to at least play around with them a little bit and the idea is growing on me.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Quirkifer wrote:

This is probably a stupid question, and shows how completely lost I am in the realm of eReaders, but what is N2E?

N2E = Nook Second Edition, or the NOOK Simple Touch.

It's shorthand that makes sense to those of us who "were around" before its release, but there's no reason why it should be obvious to anyone else.

As to your original question, if you'd use the other features of a NOOK Color, enough to make it worth another $100, it might be your best bet.

I tried to want one, and I even want to want one, but after playing with one for an extended period (my BFF has one) I opted for a second eink NOOK.  I just couldn't get absorbed into the book on the LCD screen like I do with eink.  Some people call hooey on that, but it was true for me.  To be fair, there are people who say they can't be absorbed into eink, either...

I would say N2E, but that was what was best for me.  I have a smartphone and my NOOK and I'm happy that way.  You may find you really enjoy the LCD screen and its additional features.  That's why I say Target; you can try pretty much all of your options and pick what works best for you - or nothing if you don't love any of them.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

Quirkifer wrote:
...I feel like I might miss having actual books. ...

I've had me N2E since June.  I think I'm on my 16th "book" already.  I haven't missed actual books at all.

When comparing, you should also know that the N2E can last for up to 60 hours of reading on one charge.  For me, that's about 6 weeks.  The NC only lasts about 9 hours, I think.  I really love that I just don't even think about charging my N2E (unlike my smart-phone which drives me nuts every day).

Contributor
Quirkifer
0 Kudos

N2E is strictly for reading, correct? The games and music and email apps are only for the Color and Tablet?

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

I own both Nook Color and Simple Touch, and based on my experience, I'd recommend Simple Touch to an avid reader.

If you are someone who needs something for reading some, checking e-mails, playing games, watching some videos--in other words, less reading, then Nook Color is the way to go.

However, Simple Touch is the best thing for reading.

Even though I have both, I tend to use Simple Touch for reading because it is much lighter and you really really do not have to worry about the battery. :smileyhappy:

Also, once you get used to reading on Simple Touch (or even Nook Color for that matter), reading an actual physical book will feel less comfortable and will make you want to grab Simple Touch instead. (I've posted a thread about this experience :smileyhappy: and many people agreed).

The reasons are....... heaviness of an actual book / having to keep the book open / inability to change fonts, sizes and spacing etc.etc.

Another reason several people brought up was the availability of a dictionary on Simple Touch which doubles the quality of reading and learning.

I've played around with Kindles (the e-ink ones including the newest version).

The lack of fonts and other settings make the e-books seem very out of date as if you're reading a document typed with a typewriter.

But with Nooks in general, various settings enhance the whole reading environment that it makes you feel like you're reading the most recent bestseller rather than an archaic scroll. (Maybe it's just me. :smileyhappy:)

Whichever Nook you'll get, you'll love it, but I recommend the Simple Touch in your case.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Quirkifer wrote:

N2E is strictly for reading, correct? The games and music and email apps are only for the Color and Tablet?

Yes, that's correct.

Inspired Wordsmith
julestrik
0 Kudos

I have a NC and NE2 I love them both equally and they both have pros and cons.  Battery life on NC is not great but I read a lot of times in bad lighting so the NC is back lit, also the mags and newspapers and apps are great.  NE2 battery life is wonderful.  Reading in the sun is great, no glare.  Lightweight, small and easy to transport but actually so is the NC.  I would just try to figure out what is your main purpose and go from there.  I love books but I'm not such a tradionalist to think that the only way to read a book is to actually hold a hard copy of the book.  To me the words of the author are what is important.  I have read more books since having an ereader.  Love it.  Recommend it!

Contributor
tlo07
0 Kudos

I had the NC and sold it.  It was a very nice device but I like to read on my breaks at work and I found the NC to be too heavy to lug around in my purse every day, especially after the novelty of the apps and stuff wore off and I was back to using it 99% of the time as an ereader.  Also, I've been known to fall asleep while reading in my bed and, let me tell you, you do NOT want to smack yourself in the face with a NC!  LOL!  The N2E is so much nicer to carry around and the battery lasts so long I think I only charge mine about once a month!  Its very comfortable to hold it in one hand.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan
0 Kudos

I have both the original NOOK and the NC. The one thing I will say about the NC is the battery life........I get so tired of charging it!! Even my original NOOK could go days without having to charge it and just last night I happened to pick up my original NOOK right after having the NC in my hand..............I was amazed at how heavy the NC seemed. And, because of the battery life, I am not sure that the NC would actually be ideal for traveling with............when my original NOOK needs to be replaced, it will be replaced with a N2E.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

So, I will go against the grain and tell you to get both.  You can get the CPO N2E for $79 and a CPO NC for $149 (possibly less on overstock or buy.com with coupon).  So for $30 more than a new NC you can get both and then set them up to sync the last page read.  Then you get the best of both worlds.  And that is still less than the NC would have cost you new a month ago.

Contributor
xliderider
0 Kudos

Quirkifer wrote:

I am starting to come around to the idea of Nooks and Kindles. I read a lot. I rarely go anywhere without a book with me. I do most of my reading at night, but also like to read outside and in the car. I've heard that is a negative with the Nook Colors is that in bright lights it can be hard to read. I work outside in the summer in the sun and have to wear sunglasses, so I'm concerned that I wouldn't be able to use it then. But I also read every night, so I'm concerned about the lack of a backlight on the Simple Touch.

I was playing around with a SimpleTouch and a Nook Color today to compare, and I like the extra features/apps on the Color, and I'd probably use them if I had them, but I'm not sure that I actually need them.

Does anyone have any suggestions/opinions on which would be better for me? The Nook SimpleTouch or the Nook Color for someone who reads constantly, both at night, and in the bright sun?

My wife has a N1E and N2E, and I have the Nook Color. 

Based on what you have written, one device doesn't satisfy all your wants/needs.  If you are buying a device to just "read", then the N2E would be best because reading a Nook Color's LCD screen is not fun in direct sunlight.  TBH, I don't use the "extra features" much anymore on my NC (Nook Color).  In fact, I have recently started using my wife's original Nook (N1E) for reading, as I find it much easier to read on the eInk display than the backlit LCD on the Nook Color.

As mentioned in other posts, the NC is pretty heavy, though the N1E isn't much lighter and is roughly the same size.  The N2E, for reading, can't be beat IMO (lightest, smallest, longest battery life, best screen contrast, etc.)

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I own the original Nook with the 3G/Wifi and a NookColor. I rarely use the NE1 anymore because it was a pain in the behind to get from one function to the next. The NC is just easier to use. I've seen the SImple Touch and as far as easy to use, it's easy as the NC.

If you had asked me the year before I bought the first Nook if I needed an ereader, I would have said "whatever for?" I read a LOT. Seemed a lot to spend when I could pick up a book at walmart for 6-7 bucks. How wrong I was.

I thought I would miss reading real books of paper. I don't. It took a few days to get completely comfortable with the device, but I would never go back now.Every second I'm not busy doing something else. I manage to cram in enough reading here and there throughout the day that I often have to plug the NC back in. I had to do that sometimes with my original Nook too. The best part is that I NEVER go through that "I've run out of reading material, what will I DO with myself till I can get back to town to get another one" panic. My library books are never overdue because I forgot to take them with me and it's a long drive back to the house to get them. (They automatically expire if I don't return them early on the Nook). I'm just a very happy reading camper now. :smileyhappy:

I was very anti Nook Color when it first came out. I just could not picture being able to read for long periods on it. I get headaches reading for long periods on my computer. And how would I read it outside? Well..I do both now AND I read in full sun. The only problem is that some sunglasses make the NC unreadable. Take them off and the page is clear as a bell. If you HAVE to wear sunglasses though, that will be a problem for you.

I love reading my doll reference books on it as I find having the photos in color is easier to see what I need to see.

I do VERY minor web browsing on it, because I'm not always where there is wi--fi and of course at home, I have a computer. I play some games on it but mostly I read with it.

However...it weighs a ton in my purse. Maybe wouldn't be so bad without a cover on it..but not sticking it in there with my keys, etc without one. The Simple Touch is smaller and much more light weight. I'm planning to buy one soon for my "go everywhere with me Nook". BEcause I'm tired of my shoulders and back killing me if I'm out all day lugging it around.

The NC will probably still be my reader of choice at home, especially at night as hubby no longer gripes about the light being on while he's trying to fall asleep. Cookbooks look great on it too.

I love the fact that my library is always there and I don't have a million books laying around anymore. Hubby REALLY likes not having them cluttering up everything too. He just has to deal with the panic when I can't remember where I set it down. :smileyhappy:

I tried reading a paper book a few weeks ago. OMG..it was so heavy and clumsy in my hand. And worse...I had to TURN THE PAGE...not just swipe or push the button. And keeping it open to the right page and not losing my place. Oh it was terrible the things that book made me do. :smileyhappy: Just kidding. But it was very weird.

I've gotten so used to a quick tap or swipe and the page turns,  the swipping action has become automatic on my part now.  It feels more like the page is turning just because I reached the end of the page. Sometimes I forget though to actually SWIPE and patiently sit there waiting for it to turn itself. Feel stupid when I do that.

Contributor
St_Claire
0 Kudos

I have both. I use the Simple Touch 100% of the time. I have not used the Color since I was gifted the Simple Touch. In fact I took the Color out just last night to see if there was anything I was missing out on and there's not. You really cannot beat the screen on the Simple Touch.

The statement you made about reading outside clearly says to me you want the Simple Touch. The NOOK Color is like trying to read your cell phone outside; it doesn't work well.

My iPhone does everything the Color does, it's faster, and carrying that along with my Simple Touch still weighs far less and fits in my purse.

Contributor
Quirkifer
0 Kudos

Simple Touch it is! Thank you everyone. Now I just need to wait until Christmas to get it. (My mom heard I was going to buy one and "forbid" me from buying it myself as she needs ideas for Christmas gifts)

Reader 2
blh3
0 Kudos

I've heard others say they would miss the "feel" of a book. After having my nook for almost a year, I tried reading a real book.  It was awkard to hold and I found I kept trying to turn the page as I would on my nook! lol