Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Simple Touch vs. Color

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

In all that research did you stop to think to ask someone in your local B&N, or if one isn't local to ask specifically in any of the various Nook forums on the internet?

Are there B&N stores near Melbourne? Not everybody has a local B&N store. Nor, unless one were to ask lawyer-like questions, would anybody at a B&N necessarily have stated anything that would give a hint that these features are limited. You're implying that it's OK for B&N to be vague in their advertising, and up to the purchaser to ask pointed questions about technology they may not fully understand. While caveat emptor applies when buying anything, it would be nice if companies at least had enough integrity to add an asterisk or other flag that not all content can utilize such features. Not everybody buying these devices fully understands DRM or its implications. After all, these are devices targeting readers, not tech-heads.

I would also argue that the fact that it states only BN content can be lent implies only BN content can be quoted. 

That was information was in the intruction manual that you get after you buy the unit.

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote: "In all that research did you stop to think to ask someone in your local B&N, or if one isn't local to ask specifically in any of the various Nook forums on the internet?"

I would have asked had I any reason to suspect that sharing book quotes was limited to B&N books. The connection between lending books and sharing quotations with Nook friends, even now, escapes me.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Joydeck wrote:
Mercury_Glitch wrote: "In all that research did you stop to think to ask someone in your local B&N, or if one isn't local to ask specifically in any of the various Nook forums on the internet?"

I would have asked had I any reason to suspect that sharing book quotes was limited to B&N books. The connection between lending books and sharing quotations with Nook friends, even now, escapes me.

I'm sorry, but it just strikes me as odd that anyone doing so much online research wouldn't utilize the best sort of feedback, one which responds directly to your concerns and questions.  Don't get me wrong, I love the internet, but it doesn't always have the best answers, and it's full of people posting negative reviews of products when many of those reviewers had unrealistic expectations (I'm not putting you in this group, just saying it's a common occurance) especially for technology. 

I would rather seek a person out and ask them directly to explain everything about the product.  And given that B&N has people in every store who do know about the basic features of the Nooks it's just natural to me to utilize them.  I say that as someone who on a very regular basis explains to customers how to shop on their NST for ebooks.  We're there to answer questions and to go as in depth as we can/as you want. 

As to the connection, both lending and sharing have to do with accessing information about the ebook and distributing it.  I'll grant that bobstro is probably correct in his assertion that an uneducated person* would possibly not gleem that connection based on the information provided by the poorly staffed marketing team. 

*Uneducated in this case meaning only in terms of the specifics of how the Nook handles ebooks and all that that entails. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

As bobstro observed, neither Melbourne nor Australia has a B&N store. That's why, before purchasing my Nooks, I downloaded and read the Nook user guides and many a thread on this forum. Incidentally, we can't even register Australian VISA cards to purchase books from B&N, not that this bothers me. I only suspected a problem with sharing when, weeks after using my Nooks, I noticed that "Share" was always greyed out in the menu, and searched this forum. I understand the issue better now.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Joydeck wrote:
As bobstro observed, neither Melbourne nor Australia has a B&N store. That's why, before purchasing my Nooks, I downloaded and read the Nook user guides and many a thread on this forum. Incidentally, we can't even register Australian VISA cards to purchase books from B&N, not that this bothers me. I only suspected a problem with sharing when, weeks after using my Nooks, I noticed that "Share" was always greyed out in the menu, and searched this forum. I understand the issue better now.

Ah I wasn't sure which Melbourne you were talking about, there is one in the states.  I know you can't use an Australian VISA to register, in point of fact you can't use a non US/UK credit card to register the Nook. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

I should add, I'm entirely happy with what my Nooks will do!
Distinguished Correspondent
Rav_Bunneh
0 Kudos

I don't think one is better than the other except on an individual level. We al have entirely different expectation. Some people want to read books. Other people want a slightly more affordable tablet for one reason of another.

Pesonally I chose the Nook Simple Touch (without the Glow). I also was cheap and got mine as a holiday door buster. My reason for this choice is one thing: I like to read books. 

Because of this one simple expectation went with the model with, to me, the best screen for reading a lot. I can read best on just the simple and, to me, awesome e-ink screen.

I had no need for a light and was unwilling to pay even a little more for a feature I didn't want. In adition I really don't care for how the light looks or how fragile the over lay was.

I have a laptop and and ipod touch and simply can not stand reading for long periods with them. So the Nook Color and Tablets were totally off the table as well. To me it is like trying to read while staring into an LED flashlight. 

Since getting my Simple Touch I have been totally happy with it and have read many books. I urge everyone who is unsure what to buy to listen to your own personal needs and expectations. In doing so I feel there will be happy times ahead.