Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Skip Out of Box Experience

Ya_Ya wrote:

gstone wrote:

In the end I deleted all books from the device and registered it to a new account (there's no cc associated with the new account). All my purchases are still made using the old account. 

I use Calibre to manage my library and "sideload" 3-4 pages of books at a time to read. I don't have the patience to wade through more pages than that to find a book to read.

This is what I am doing now, but I've got about 400 books on it.  It's not too absolutely many to page through, it gives me variety in case I end up somewhere I didn't expect to have time to read and have just finished a book, and I no longer have the crazy battery drain.

I have definitely begun relying more heavily on  Goodreads; it's a great way to help me choose my next book.  I use the app on my phone, scan my "to-read" and pick a few that sound interesting.  The first one I find on my NOOK is my choice...

I sort my to-read list on Goodreads by the order I plan to read the books.  The ones I'm most interested in are at the top, so it's easy to pick my next book when using the phone app.  Then I use the nook search function to find it.

The only time I ever page through my library is when (a) I'm bored, and I want to page through, or (b) I "buy" a bunch of freebie classics and they don't all fit on the first screen.

New User
W1bb1y
0 Kudos

I've noticed similar symptoms with my UK NST. I bought an NST a few weeks ago registered it. Used it for a while then gave it to my dad. Battery life was excellent, dropping 10-20% over a week or two with a moderate amount of reading. I've bought a second NST this week from a different supplier and had trouble getting past the registeration process (basically errored, with a reboot and try again option). I did a bit of looking around and found it was likely as I suspected and that it maye have been US stock released in UK and B&N had botched up and had all this US stock blacklisted from UK ip addresses. There were a lot of UK buyers reporting the same problem from the same supplier (John Lewis)

Anyway, I found out how to skip the oobe and was up and running. Wasn't really bothered about setting up an account, but I have noticed a massive increase in battery consumption by doing so. The NST dropped to 16% within a week, with far less use than the NST I gave to my dad which was still on about 80+% . I have wifi turned off on both devices and suspected myself that there may be some background process polling the B&N servers for account info.

I guess it's just a badly written piece of code. It's annoying enough to have to regiser the device before using it, especially when there's quite possibly been a cock up with supply of US stock to the UK. I haven't gone back to check whether the blacklisted/oobe problem has been fixed, but I suspect that if I erase and try the oobe again i'll end up with a useless paperweight again. I'm possibly stuck between rubbish battery life or a brick. It's a shame as for £29 in the UK, the NST is an absolute steal.

I'll try it anyway to see if I can confirm the battery usage issue and post my results back here.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I don't fully understand.

In the first NST the battery life dropped 10-20% over the first week or two.

in the second one it dropped 16% over one week.

That doesn't seem a statistically large difference.

Why do you feel it's an issue?

Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

I don't fully understand.

In the first NST the battery life dropped 10-20% over the first week or two.

in the second one it dropped 16% over one week.

That doesn't seem a statistically large difference.

Why do you feel it's an issue?

I may be reading it wrong but I think he's saying he only has 16% remaining after one week. I read about someone from the UK on Mobileread this week who had a similar problem. Turns out he had skipped the registration process...once he did the registration the problem resolved itself.

New User
W1bb1y
0 Kudos

Correct,the first NST had dropped from 100% to 16% in a week with wifi off. I've since done a reset on this 2nd NST and registered successfully and it's dropped just 2% in 24 hours, even with wifi on
Wordsmith
Tim40744
0 Kudos

W1bb1y wrote:
Correct,the first NST had dropped from 100% to 16% in a week with wifi off. I've since done a reset on this 2nd NST and registered successfully and it's dropped just 2% in 24 hours, even with wifi on

It sounds like that's cured your problem. 2% in a day even with the Wi-Fi on sounds comparable to the first device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

It often takes new devices a few charging cycles to calibrate the battery meter, so at first it seems to be draining much faster, but later seems to discharge at a much more reasonable rate.