Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Skip Out of Box Experience

The instructions are in this thread:  http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1162693

So, my N2E had been registered since I bought it (it was a birthday gift from the husband, but I had to do the ordering myself, MEN :smileytongue:) in September 2011.

All was well, but a lot of my books are sideloaded and I've disliked that my sideloaded books never appeared at the front of the list when sorted by Most Recent.  They would always be several pages back, behind my most recent B&N purchases  and some would be on random pages even further back, actually.  Yes, this is truly a first-world problem, not particularly important in the grand scheme of things, so I didn't really complain about it - nor did I ever really try to fix it.  I'd just silently curse every time I tried to find a new book to read.

Anyway, a friend bought one for her grandmother, and wanted me to write specific instructions for registering it; yes the procedure is step-by-step, but it was for Grandma, so I unregistered my N2E and reregistered it.  Typing out exactly what, where, when, etc... and emailing that to Grandma.  (Grandma later responded that she was grateful, but probably didn't need the step-by-step instructions.)

Anyway, this got me to thinking.  Was there a way to skip registering?  Would it truly arrange my books by date?  I did some googling, found that info up there and tried it.

It did.  I've sideloaded most of the books that were previously on NOOK, including my B&N books.  I had to enter my credit card the first time I opened one, but beyond that, it all works flawlessly.  My books arrange by date as I'd like them to, by author, by title, etc...  Newly added books come to the front as (I believe) they should.  Everything works.

The home screeen is different, though; I no longer get recommendations at the bottom because it's not registered and in the "recently added" listing to the right of the "Currently reading" book, there's nothing because there's no B&N content as far as N2E knows.  I also can't share to facebook or Twitter, but I never did that anyway, so I don't miss that.

I'm sure that everyone already knew this, but it was a pleasant surprise to me and I'm glad I did it.  

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

Re: Skip Out of Box Experience

Sounds good to me.  One problem with not registering, though, is that those of us with magazine subscriptions would never get them auto-delivered wirelessly.  Correct?

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

My experience has been that everything comes up in the order I add it.  If I DL all my B&N books, then sideload all my sideloadable books, the sideloaded books are at the top.  Then as I add books they appear in the order I add/touch them.  So I'm kinda fuzzy on why all of yours go to the back.  That seems strange to me.  :smileysad:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

So I'm kinda fuzzy on why all of yours go to the back.  That seems strange to me.  :smileysad:

It has happened since Day 1.  I wish mine worked like you describe though.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Are you seeing the increased battery consumption issue with an unregistered NST?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Are you seeing the increased battery consumption issue with an unregistered NST?

I haven't notice any extreme increase; I charge it once a week regardless.  It seems like it's a little lower when I charge, but not dead, you know?

keriflur
0 Kudos

I would think that, theoretically, you could archive everything, register, then load all your books via sideload, and have the same experience but without additional battery usage.  This would then keep the magazine subscriptions updating (if you have them).

Also, what happens to new stuff that you buy?  I would assume that if bought a new book it would go to the top....

Ooh, maybe this is the difference with your nook's behaviour and mine's.  When you buy a B&N book, do you open it right away?  I know the unopened stuff stays at the top on the N2E, but once you open it, it behaves like everything else, moving down when new stuff comes in or older stuff is opened (at least on mine).

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Help me out here.  Why would battery consumption differ with an "unregistered" unit?  Are we talking about falling back to a previous software version?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

keriflur wrote:

I would think that, theoretically, you could archive everything, register, then load all your books via sideload, [SKIP]

When you buy a B&N book, do you open it right away?  

I thought about that afterwards but honestly, archiving that many books would be daunting.  *crying*

I don't usually open books until I plan to read them, which may or may not be related to when I purchase.  This probably explains it.  :smileyhappy:

bobstro
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote:

bobstro wrote:

Help me out here.  Why would battery consumption differ with an "unregistered" unit?  Are we talking about falling back to a previous software version?

There have been references on XDA to B&N background apps making background attempts to sync, etc. even if not registered, and a resulting (relative) increase in battery consumption. I've not witnessed this myself, but my only NST is registered anyow. Thus my question.

I see approximatey 1% drop per 6 hours with the unit idle and wifi off. I'm interested in a comparison.

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Fred011 wrote:

bobstro wrote:

There have been references on XDA to B&N background apps making background attempts to sync, etc. even if not registered, and a resulting (relative) increase in battery consumption. I've not witnessed this myself, but my only NST is registered anyow. Thus my question.

I see approximatey 1% drop per 6 hours with the unit idle and wifi off. I'm interested in a comparison.

Interesting.  Are we thinking that the unit is making recurring attempts to perform operations and thus checking the status of the WiFi connection as opposed to having the actual WiFi status (being ON) initiating the "attempts" to perform certain background functions?

Wouldn't it be nice to see the performance specifications of these units!:smileysurprised:

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

I haven't notice any extreme increase; I charge it once a week regardless.  It seems like it's a little lower when I charge, but not dead, you know?

Once a week?  Holy Cow!  How much reading do you do in a week?  I read 10-15 hrs/week and only recharge mine every 4-6 weeks, once it gets down under 30%.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
bobstro
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote:

Interesting.  Are we thinking that the unit is making recurring attempts to perform operations and thus checking the status of the WiFi connection as opposed to having the actual WiFi status (being ON) initiating the "attempts" to perform certain background functions?

I've seen it cited as a problem, but I can't find any hard research. That's why I was hoping someone who'd skipped the process would provide comparison numbers. If my $20 eBay wonder NST shows up, I may be able to try this myself.

For comparison, I get roughly:

• 1% drop per 6 hours with wifi off and unit on standby.
  • 1% drop per hour with wifi on and unit on standby.
  • 3-5% drop per hour with wifi on and unit in active use.

This is with a rooted, registered NST running B&N 1.1.0.

Part of the problem is that the NST gets such good life even in the worst case when compared to other devices that new users might not know the difference. "Good" to one user may be "horrible" to another. The situation is exacerbated by rooted users loading software (e.g. widgets, active wallpaper) that eats up battery life, then blame "rooting". Quantifiable data is tough to come by.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:

Once a week?  Holy Cow!  How much reading do you do in a week?  I read 10-15 hrs/week and only recharge mine every 4-6 weeks, once it gets down under 30%.

Probably 30+ hours; I read a lot on my day off...  (We have no kids, live in a city where it rains more than Seattle, I work 50 hours a week, he works 60+ hours and since my schedule is somewhat nontraditional, I rarely manage to go out with friends/family.  Reading is my main source of entertainment.)

It never needs to be charged when I plug it in, it's just my OCD peeking through.  Sunday - my day off - I usually completely clean and before I go to bed everything.must.be.in.its.place.  So, Sunday night, I plug it into the charger - even if it's still basically full.

I rarely see it get lower than 70%. 

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

For comparison, I get roughly:

• 1% drop per 6 hours with wifi off and unit on standby.
  • 1% drop per hour with wifi on and unit on standby.
  • 3-5% drop per hour with wifi on and unit in active use.

This is with a rooted, registered NST running B&N 1.1.0. 

Unfortunately, I never paid this kind of attention when it was registered, so I'd have no comparison for my personal unit, but I'd be glad to try to remember to keep track now that it's not registered, if you want me to.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:
Unfortunately, I never paid this kind of attention when it was registered, so I'd have no comparison for my personal unit, but I'd be glad to try to remember to keep track now that it's not registered, if you want me to.

It would be interesting information to gather. Just note whether you leave wifi on or off when you're done for the day, note the battery level and time, then capture the level and time again the next day.

Thanks!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote:

I have no idea what causes it, but bobstro's question seemed to jinx me.

My battery seemed to be, for the most part, "normal" after doing this.  This week, with Wifi off, it didn't make it through the week.  It just died while I was in the middle of my (supposed to be first, ended up only) sangria and pozole.  There I was, sitting at the bar, drinking, eating, reading and I got the scary - plug in or turn off message.  :smileymad:

I may have to archive all the books and register; or create a second account with no books in it and register N2E to that... 

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

My battery seemed to be, for the most part, "normal" after doing this.  This week, with Wifi off, it didn't make it through the week.  It just died while I was in the middle of my (supposed to be first, ended up only) sangria and pozole.  There I was, sitting at the bar, drinking, eating, reading and I got the scary - plug in or turn off message.  :smileymad:

I may have to archive all the books and register; or create a second account with no books in it and register N2E to that... 

It's been quite a while since I used the nook bypassing registration. It did seem to me that the battery life was a little shorter but I didn't try it for very long. I was more annoyed at the inability to set the clock on an unregistered nook.

In the end I deleted all books from the device and registered it to a new account (there's no cc associated with the new account). All my purchases are still made using the old account. 

I use Calibre to manage my library and "sideload" 3-4 pages of books at a time to read. I don't have the patience to wade through more pages than that to find a book to read.

When I have read those books, I flag them in Calibre as read, remove the books on the device, and then browse through the library for books I haven't read to sideload.

Wordsmith
Fred011

Ya_Ya wrote:

Fred011 wrote:

Jinx? Perhaps not: have you considered sunspots and solar winds? :smileysurprised:

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

gstone wrote:

In the end I deleted all books from the device and registered it to a new account (there's no cc associated with the new account). All my purchases are still made using the old account. 

I use Calibre to manage my library and "sideload" 3-4 pages of books at a time to read. I don't have the patience to wade through more pages than that to find a book to read.

This is what I am doing now, but I've got about 400 books on it.  It's not too absolutely many to page through, it gives me variety in case I end up somewhere I didn't expect to have time to read and have just finished a book, and I no longer have the crazy battery drain.

I have definitely begun relying more heavily on  Goodreads; it's a great way to help me choose my next book.  I use the app on my phone, scan my "to-read" and pick a few that sound interesting.  The first one I find on my NOOK is my choice...