Contributor
Mikey1969
0 Kudos

Slim case for Simple Touch?

Hi all,

I'm looking for something for my Simple Touch that doesn't defeat the purpose of having a nice slim e-reader in the first place. Unfortunately, I'm not finding a ton for the Simple Touch. I have the one that is made of canvas an looks like a book cover, but it doubles the size of the Nook. What I'm looking for is something similar to the 'Groovy' stand for the HD, something similar to the standard cover for the iPad, but I don't see one for the Simple Touch.

I can't buy a bunch and try them all until I find one that is nice and slim, and pictures don't do much for really describing how thin these are(Of course, neither do the descriptions). Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't need anything fancy, just something that protects it in my backpack, but doesn't appreciably increase the overall size of the Nook.

Thanks in advance, guys!

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Slim case for Simple Touch?

I use a Timbuk2 sleeve (the ones for the newer kindles fit the NST well).  That way it's protected (and still slim) in my bag, doesn't gather dust in the house, and I don't have a bulky case when I'm reading.

Contributor
Mikey1969
0 Kudos

Cool, thanks. I'll check one of those out, it definitely looks slim enough.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Just to second Keri's recommendation for a sleeve rather than a fitted case. I've tried a variety of cases on my NST, but always found that the original shape was the most pleasant to use for an extended period. Most case solutions are a compromise and don't feel as nice in the hand.

I originally purchased a RooCase leather zip portfolio case, and the internal "bikini" sleeve is small and compact, but you lose the nice feel of the curved back. Screen protection is excellent in the zip case, however.

I also tried a silicon slip on case. While that preserved the nice shape of the device, it didn't offer much more in the way of actual protection, and was a dust magnet.

I finally settled on a cheap ($7) nylon USA Gear - no longer available - slip over case like the one Keri suggested. It provides protection in my bag when traveling, but doesn't interfere with the nice feel of the device when doing actual reading. I do slip in a stiffener to protect the screen against direct pokes when in a thin sleeve.

For my latest "beach" device, I just attach an appropriately sized bit of card or wood over the screen with a rubber band before it goes in my bag, making sure not to depress the 'n' button. I don't want to spend nearly as much on the case as the actual device.