Contributor
ColorTabUser

So about Google Nexus 7...

http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/27/googles-nexus-7-tablet-outed-before-i-o/

This might be my next device. What do you think?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975

Re: So about Google Nexus 7...

No SD slot = ehhhh.

For media consumption having expandable memory is a must for me.

Contributor
billraab60

[ Edited ]

I agree, without an SD Card it loses points. I am a photographer and not so much into games so that part of the "store" on any platform holds little interest for me. I like my NT. The thing is that Barnes and Noble are not maximizing this product. They are the only small tablet game in town that has an SD card. We need some better streaming, better yet how about a store we can buy and download videos... even just as rentals... or especially as rentals.

I want more from B&N for my NT. It has so much potential and they just do not move to use it nor tout its form and function over the other 7" tablets. The screen is better than the Fire and the processing power is better as well.

I am afraid that if B&N does not move now the NT platform is doomed to a slow death over the next two years. I bought my NT because I believed in B&N and wanted to support them. I do not wish to see my platform of choice disappear in the next year or two because B&N did nothing with it.

Keep it interesting, keep it vital B&N! Don't let it sit and whither.

Bill

http://exposedolight.com

Wordsmith
TnTexas

billraab60: Keep it interesting, keep it vital B&N! Don't let it sit and whither.

To be honest, the only reason I bought the Color last summer was because it was the only 7" tablet-esque ereader on the market at the time (if there were any others, I didn't know about them). Since the few ebooks I had at that point were from Amazon, I wound up buying a dual boot sd card for the device so I could read them on it as well. Had the Kindle Fire been out at the time I would have probably bought it and been perfectly satisfied; but it wasn't. Others who would prefer a more general-purpose tablet are in the same position I'm in; they're also finding that they're beginning to have other choices.

Given those market changes, the problem I see at the moment is that B&N seems to see both the Color and the Tablet as more ereaders with extras than anything else - despite the Tablet's improved specs; and I can't help but wonder how large that particular market really is. I could be wrong, but I suspect that the majority in the 7" market are looking for a general-purpose tablet that they can read on and not just a souped up ereader - which is a huge difference in focus from B&N. A difference I fear may not bode well for the tablet-esque Nooks.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I think it has the core features that less knowledgeable consumers look for and with Google play access and Google clout BN will need another hardware and reader app update ASAP. It is really becoming clear that Google, Apple, Amazon, and possibly Microsoft, with BN only relevant with Microsoft support are going to be the main players in the near future. I wonder if the moves by Google and Microsoft will lead to other tablet makers seeking a new operating system?
bobstro

billraab60 wrote:

I agree, without an SD Card it loses points. I am a photographer and not so much into games so that part of the "store" on any platform holds little interest for me. I like my NT.

Google seems to be shifting more towards "consumerfication" of devices. Mass storage support for uSD cards has disappeared in Android 4 ICS. My new Samsung has a 32 GB uSD slot, but they've changed "SD card support" so that internal storage shows as "SD" and the actual uSD card is now "extSD". This works, but it takes some getting used to and some apps fuss. Plugged in to a desktop computer, it can be viewed as a camera or media player, but not as storage. While today I demand removable uSD, it looks like device manufacturers aren't listening. Of course, with open market access, somebody will likely develop a work-around.

The thing is that Barnes and Noble are not maximizing this product. They are the only small tablet game in town that has an SD card.

Not sure what you mean there. There are other $250 7 inch tablets with uSD cards, though how they are handled by Android is changing.

[...] I want more from B&N for my NT. It has so much potential and they just do not move to use it nor tout its form and function over the other 7" tablets. The screen is better than the Fire and the processing power is better as well.

Agreed 100% that B&N failed to exploit the true potential of their NC and NT devices. I do think the window of opportunity is closing fast.

I am afraid that if B&N does not move now the NT platform is doomed to a slow death over the next two years. I bought my NT because I believed in B&N and wanted to support them. I do not wish to see my platform of choice disappear in the next year or two because B&N did nothing with it.

Along with innovation and software improvements and fixes, I wish B&N would change how they treat customers. The "fix" to remove the ability to sideload apps was clearly bungled, and it left a sour taste in my mouth. I've gone from a NOOK Color fanatic 18 months ago to feeling rather blase' about B&N's fate. I've tired of fighting with B&N over how to use my device, so my last purchase was a Samsung.

Contributor
gintn

The Google Nexus 7 seems to be what I thought the Nook Tablet was going to be when I upgraded to it from my original Nook Color on the first day it came out; a reader with enough productive capability to meet my light computing needs when I need to travel light. I'm semi-retired and do a lot of recreational travel as well as some consulting that requires travel so I travel a lot.

Maybe I've missed the advantages, but the Nook Tablet does not seem to offer anything to the Nook Color except it is a bit quicker for what it does. I finally managed to get Dropbox installed on the Tablet. Getting Dropbox for it was an awful issue and I'm still not over my anger.

With Dropbox or Google's own Cloud Drive much of the reason to have an external SD card slot is eliminated.

I need the apps I use on my phone for productivity and management of my life. As it stands now with the Tablet, I have to do just about everything through a web browser. That has improved with the addition of the tabbed browers now available, but knowing what I have to do that could be more easily done with an app is maddening!

I think B&N's refusal to open up the Tablet is going to prove disasterous for them if it hasn't already. Maybe Microsoft has something in mind to rescue B&N, but it may be too late. I've ordered a Nexus 7 and with the experience I have already enjoyed with my large screen Mororola Droid Maxx I'm looking forward to getting the same apps I use with it. Apps that B&N denies me on the Table.

Could it be that they are willing to drop customers like me for customers who are only interested in reading, Netflix, and light email? If so they have a winner because that is about all the Tablet will do! I'm going to hate it if B&N goes belly up like Borders. My SO and I probably don't have much of a life, but we regularly go to dinner and then stop at local Barnes & Noble Bookstore to browse. I suspect there are many otherwise loyal customers who are as dismayed as I am about the Nook Tablet.

Contributor
billraab60
0 Kudos

Nice job. I hope these reach the right eyes.
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

> No SD slot = ehhhh. <

Yes, I was disappointed to see that omission as well. 

However, you've latched onto the only aspect in which is is inferior to the NT.  It's smaller, lighter, thinner, more powerful, excellent 1280x800 HD screen, has significantly improved core OS code, Bluetooth, camera, GPS, compass, access to the full Google market (not just apps, but music, videos, etc). 

It's even been reported (though I haven't seen it confirmed) that it will drive an HDMI display output (via MHL).  All for the same price points as the 8G and 16G capacity NTs (except the 8G retains a full 1G of RAM, vs. half that for the econo-NT).

With open access, you can still buy your eBooks from B&N, or Amazon, or Google Play, or anywhere else that pops up.

But you are correct... there is no SD slot.  :smileyhappy:

- Mark

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

It also looks like the battery life is a bit less... 10 hours of reading and 8 hours of video, vs. 11.5 and 9 respectively for the NT.

- Mark

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

I watched the live presentation that Google gave yesterday, and I was initially very impressed by the specs of the quad core processor and the HD display.  The added features of the camera, GPS, Bluetooth and Jellybean are a really big plus, but yes, the lack of an uSD slot is maddening.  The price is a definate temptation as well, but unless I'm on WiFi, it's useability takes a huge step backward without the external memory.  Too bad, they were almost there with this device.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
0 Kudos

Mark_OB1 wrote:

However, you've latched onto the only aspect in which is is inferior to the NT.  It's smaller, lighter, thinner, more powerful, excellent 1280x800 HD screen, has significantly improved core OS code, Bluetooth, camera, GPS, compass, access to the full Google market (not just apps, but music, videos, etc). 

It isn't an entirely fair comparison given that the NT design is going on a year old (more than that given my hunch about the origins of the NT, but that's for another post). When the inevable refresh comes along in a couple months I think we'll see exactly where BN is taking their devices in regards to competition with the pure Android experience.

A new device is always going to outspec an old one. But, as Apple continues to demonstrate, specs aren't everything.

bobstro

flyingtoastr wrote:

[...] When the inevable refresh comes along in a couple months I think we'll see exactly where BN is taking their devices in regards to competition with the pure Android experience.

I agree that a comparison between an older design and newer design is unfair, but you've hit on the main problem B&N is facing so long as they stay in the hardware wars. There's only one B&N against a myriad of bigger and/or more innovative hardware competitors. Without constant and intense dedication of resources to hardware development and testing, B&N falls behind quickly. And of course, this draws resources away from software development.

The "NOOK experience" is nothing more than a software shell laid on top of Android. This is true of all of the NOOK devices from the NST to the NT. If B&N wants to thrive selling media, and especially ebooks, that "experience" needs to be as flawless as possible. Unfortunately, it's not.

B&N might take a cue from Google on this one: Let someone else develop the hardware, and choose the best-of-breed as your "NOOK" (or Nexus, in the case of Google) for the year. Lay your optimized software shell and reader down on whatever the latest, greatest hardware is at the moment. Quit worrying about what's underneath or running beside that software. Although Google now owns Motorola, they apparently didn't feel obliged to roll out their first-ever, presumably important tablet on Motorola hardware. They went with best-of-breed (in their judgement, of course).

B&N already does this, to a limited extent, with the B&N NOOK Apps. Unfortunately, they're a poor stepchild in terms of features and integration with the "full" reader apps on the NOOK-branded hardware. I have to assume that having separate development efforts for the NST/NSTG, NC/NT and other OS platforms is also a drain on B&N resources.

Contributor
Shome
0 Kudos

The Nexus 7 has everything that I have been wanting.  I went ahead and purchased one in advance.

This tablet has the form factor, the industrial design, the attention to software quality, the processor, screen resolution and features to make it my tablet of choice.

I love my nook color/tablet and will continue to use it but the nexus 7 is just too good to pass up.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

I find it interesting that only a front camera was included? While the specs are good it seems as though we are already reaching the point where niches are going to develop. For example how good are the speakers? Are upgraded graphics chips available? PC vs ultra book vs 10 inch vs 7 inch. E books and simple games are still the uses that highly portable 7 inchers excell at that phones or bigger devices don't do as well. The sd card wasn't included by Google or Amazon because they want you to choose cloud support for your media. Perhaps with bluetooth and sd slot and better speakers BN can use their Microsoft connection for a better game or music device. Improving reader app is still job one but screen and cpu specs are good enough that they are more of an advertising point than real world performance difference for average consumers. When battery life reaches 14 hours it becomes less important as well.
Contributor
fkm71
0 Kudos

I agree with everyone for the most part.  I am really wanting one of these Nexus 7 tablets.  It is what I wish the NT was for the most part.  I don't need the camera but it would be great for video calls.  

I don't need the SD card myself.  I put a 32GB card in there for extra storage and Evernote requires one.  Otherwise I would be fine with Google Drive, Dropbox and Box.net.  I believe that the only hope B&N has is going this New Co route with Microsoft, whatever that involves.  The main issue with that is going to be that it is too late.  I really don't see them adding anything new and innovative by the time they get around to it.  They may want to save the "surprise" but the only surprise is going to be theirs when the market asks why we need whatever it is B&N is giving us.  With the Nexus 7, MS Surface, the iPad, and Kindle Fire "2.0" we won't need or want anything that B&N gives us.  

The only possibility I can see is a Windows 8 tablet which would be a way of admitting that they messed up with the NT.

I wanted B&N to succeed.  I really did; that is why I bought the NT.  I just don't want to fool with the rooting as inevitably I find small issues like "Your device is not compatible" that keep me from enjoying it ( I tried rooting for a while, back to stock now).  I shouldn't have to root the device or jump through hoops to use the apps that will work just fine on the NT.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

[ Edited ]

An interesting article comparing the Fire and the Nexus 7:   http://www.androidcentral.com/google-nexus-7-or-amazon-kindle-fire

Which do they recommend? The Nexus. It wasn't mentioned; but given what they based their decision on, I'm assuming they'd recommend the Nexus over the Tablet and Color as well.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

And in case anyone's interested, here's an article that throws the Samsung 7 (aka as Galaxy Tab 2) and the Tablet into the mix:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/nexus-7-vs-kindle-fire-vs-nook-tablet-200-tablet-showdown/

Frequent Contributor
darkquota
0 Kudos

It definitely seems great, but my nook tablet is good enough for now. I'll probably wait a while to upgrade to another tablet.
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

darkquota: It definitely seems great, but my nook tablet is good enough for now. I'll probably wait a while to upgrade to another tablet

I'm right there with you. I'm thinking about getting one for Christmas and passing my Tablet onto my oldest daughter. Although I might decide to get her a Fire instead and keep the Tablet for myself a bit longer. A lot will depend on what kind of reviews it gets over the next few months.