flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976
0 Kudos

Re: So about Google Nexus 7...

DeanGibson wrote:
  1. By what announcement or communication from B&N?  By inference, well yes, in retrospect.  But remember the excitement preceding the Nook Color 1.2 release?  And the Nook Tablet release?  B&N would like the association with the tablet capability (eg, "e-Reader's tablet") without the cost (or, might I add, corporate communication).
  2. When I first walked in to a B&N store and asked if the Nook Color could do a certain task, the salesperson's response was (verbatim):  "No, but you can root it."  Actually, she was wrong;  I didn't need to root it for the requested task.

Mind you, I'm not unhappy with my Nook device purchases.  Like others, I just want what other devices offer, and I'm giving B&N the "right of first refusal".

If B&N brings out a color e-Ink reader, I'll probably get it and suffer the disadvantages.  Otherwise, I'm probably done.  That's not a threat or leaving in a huff;  it's reality.

1. Marketing material from BN barely even mentions Android, much less the Google Play Store. In fact, (I had to dig through the transcripts to find this) when asked point-blank in the QA during the NOOK Tablet launch whether there would be "Android Market" on the device, Lynch said unequivocally no. Again, access to the Google Play Store does not make a tablet, it's merely one of the distribution channels for content available to tablets. Likewise, advertising is of course going to bend the truth. It is the onus of the consumer to be informed about their purchases, not the company selling the product.

2. That has much more to do with BN's nonexistent (or very poor in the few cases it exists) training than any real company policy.

roustabout wrote:

Actually, that's not what you hear from the rooting community on these boards. 

The rooters are generally fairly satisfied with what can be achieved by rooting, and sometimes more than.  

Look up nine posts.

"I just bit the bullet and rooted my Nook Tablet last Friday and am now happily taking advantage of all available Android options for my tablet. I would have preferred to be loyal to Barnes and Noble and not rooted the unit but I have waited long enough. Now I can comfortably call it a tablet.

Don't fence me in... Which is why I didn't not buy an iPad in the first place."

Or the post before that.

"I ordered my Nexus 7 yesterday. I have enjoyed my Nook Color but get frustrated by its restricted OS and no access to the Android app market. B&N: open up your OS and maybe I'll buy your hardware again someday.

Tried it rooted but it's not the same as a real open tablet."

I could go on but you get the gist.

There are a ton of the "casual rooters" who wanted a full Android tablet and bought a NOOK. BN made it very clear that the NT is not a full Android tablet. If you want a full Android experience, go buy a full Android tablet. BN isn't threatening to sue you for deciding that the NOOK isn't the right device for you.

Complaining that a NOOK doesn't have access to Google Play is like me complaining that my Sentra doesn't accelerate as quickly as my friend's Beamer. Know what you're purchasing. Do research before you buy a device, and if it isn't what you want/need then don't buy it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

[...] Likewise, advertising is of course going to bend the truth. It is the onus of the consumer to be informed about their purchases, not the company selling the product.

[...] There are a ton of the "casual rooters" who wanted a full Android tablet and bought a NOOK. BN made it very clear that the NT is not a full Android tablet.

While there may have been corporate statements that one can find with a search that were "very clear", the advertising was vague enough to imply much more. While B&N may not be legally obligated to meet such expectations, they certainly shouldn't be surprised when the "technie bump" turns into the "techie backlash".

I'm sure there are many who view the techie/rooter community as only a small subset of the overall NOOK market, but reading these boards lately, the positive buzz has gone away. While "Julie" may have been B&N's target demographic, she's not the only one who influences expectations for tech devices. I'm also finding fewer and fewer reviews that give the NOOK the edge anymore. Perhaps on the screen, though Google's taken that away. 

[...] Complaining that a NOOK doesn't have access to Google Play is like me complaining that my Sentra doesn't accelerate as quickly as my friend's Beamer. Know what you're purchasing. Do research before you buy a device, and if it isn't what you want/need then don't buy it.

Semantics are important, even in advertising. They set consumer expectations, and satisfaction is based on those expectations. Were the Sentra sold as a "sports sedan", I'm sure there would be plenty complaints about lack of performance. (Though, with the CVT, I can get a lot out of my little Sentra!) While there may not be a legal definition of a term, there's an expectation that goes with it.

B&N may have chosen to ignore this demographic, but that may not have been a particularly wise choice. Instead of a reader that "can do a lot more", B&N's now stuck selling "just a reader". The technical limitation is self-inflicted, as is B&N's choice to "bend the truth" in their marketing.

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

B&N may have chosen to ignore this demographic, but that may not have been a particularly wise choice. Instead of a reader that "can do a lot more", B&N's now stuck selling "just a reader". The limitation is self-inflicted.

Note that I'm not commenting on BN's positions at all, but rather just the people who somehow feel that they're entitled to get the Google Play Store on their NOOK and are peeved that it isn't on it right now. I tend to agree with most people that BN's management has a lot of rethinking to do.

bobstro

Fair enough!

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Two points about people who choose to root. I feel they tend to be early adopters or at least have above average tech skills. These groups tend to look for leading edge products. Since they are willing to put in the time to keep abreast of what is available, and are fairly risk tolerant, they tend to change companies / products more often. There is a sub group who are more militant? In their demands. I would describe them as extremists. They believe that all systems should be open and a lot of stuff should be free. This group often has members who belittle less tech savy people or those willing to give up the latest technology or some freedom for a reduced time investment or just convenience. Frankly they presume they are intellectually superior. Fortunately once the rooting issues were resolved this group moved on.
Wordsmith
TnTexas

DeanGibson: I wonder if a significant block of Nook buyers (color/tablet) aren't going to be transitional for B&N:  Buy a Nook, buy some books, get used to tablet-like features, want more, move on.

Either this or hear the name Tablet and because ts name assume the device can do things it can't do, buy it and then be disappointed.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

The best thing I see about this device is it is a Nexus device.  Which means it will get OS updates it is qualified for as soon as Google releases them.  Yes, BN isn't the only OEM that doesn't do updates right.  Most Samsung owners are still waiting for ICS when JB is the current OS.

Contributor
Shome
0 Kudos

I opened my nexus 7 last night.  I installed the B&N nook reader app and my entire book library was there. 

This is a very impressive tablet that works well.

Frequent Contributor
Undo
0 Kudos

The Nook app does work very well on the Nexus 7, unlike on my Galaxy Player 5.0. It's odd how the app acts differently on devices with different resolution displays. Or maybe it's more to do with the OS version on each.

So, if B&N continues to have a better selection of ebooks than Google, I'll still be a customer.

bobstro

Undo wrote:

The Nook app does work very well on the Nexus 7, unlike on my Galaxy Player 5.0. It's odd how the app acts differently on devices with different resolution displays. Or maybe it's more to do with the OS version on each.

I think you're seeing differences between the Android versions. The Galaxy Player shows running Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread, whereas the Nexus will be 4.1 Jelly Bean, IIRC. The later tablet enhancements can make the same program look very different between the two platforms. I see this running Mantano reader on both a 7 inch NOOK Color and Samsung GT2 7.0.

Contributor
gintn

The new ASUS Google Nexus 7 is having a predictable affect on the Nook Color and Tablet. I just read that B&N are reducing prices; Nook Color now $149, Nook Tablet-8GB now $179 and the 16GB now $199. All B&N had to do to salvage their viability was to open up the Nook Color and Tablet to the Google Market. Likely they could have locked out Amazon's and maybe Google's media apps. But no, they have kept their devices locked down so tightly they are killing the market for the Nook Tablet for anyone the least bit technologically knowledgeable about options. The Nexus 7 does everything the Nook Color and Tablet could have done and does it better. The lack of a SD port in the Nexus 7 is not an issue with cloud storage through Google Drive or a third party provider like Dropbox! Moreover, the new Nexus 7 is thinner and fits pockets even better than the Nook Tablet! For what its worth, my Nook Tablet is still alive and running well, but on an N2A card giving me access to the free Android apps.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

The competition in the 7" tablet market is definitely heating up. Not only has the Nexus 7 been introduced recently but the 3g/4g version of Samsung's 7" tablet is scheduled to hit Verizon soon. It costs about $100 more than the Tablet, but there will probably be some who will be willing to pay that price for the combination of the convenience of the the form factor and the option of being able to use it pretty much wherever they are. I've also heard that Acer is releasing a 7" tablet model, but I couldn't tell if that was only overseas or here in the States as well.

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy

gintn wrote:

The lack of a SD port in the Nexus 7 is not an issue with cloud storage through Google Drive or a third party provider like Dropbox!

How can this not possibly be an issue?  Do you have WiFi every place you go and every place you use your nook?  As for me, it's an absolute show stopper.  The cloud is nice for things like music streaming, but it's useless when I'm commuting, or find myself waiting in a school parking lot for one of my kids, or in a place that probably should have WiFi but doesn't.  Don't underestimate this feature just because the Nexus is shiney new.  I was very interested in it right up until I learned there was no SD card slot.  For my money, the look and style of the nooks, combined with a uSD slot for storage or running CM7 and the crystal clear display are still my first choice in this price range.  If B&N could shoehorn in a camera, gps and bluetooth, that would really shake things up a bit.  Just my opinion...

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
bobstro

Czechboy wrote:

[...] How can this not possibly be an issue?  Do you have WiFi every place you go and every place you use your nook?

No, but then again, I don't need every bit of content instantaneously in any situation. If that were important, a 32G card would be insufficient. Don't get me wrong: I want uSD storage, but I do see how cloud access goes a long ways towards mitigating not having it. With a bit of planning, I can carry everything I'm likely to need for a week or more in 8G, and certainly 16G.

Having removable storage is great, but if I have to use it to boot alternate firmware to use the device how I want, it's nowhere near as useful. Open app selection outweighs uSD card.

Whatever my preferences, the trend seems to be going away from removable storage. We saw the same thing with MP3 players. I don't like the trend, but it's not the end of the world, either. I'm more annoyed that the price difference between an 8G and 16G device is so much more than the cost of the actual hardware. They're obviously taking advantage of peoples' concerns about fixed storage limits.

[...] For my money, the look and style of the nooks, combined with a uSD slot for storage or running CM7 and the crystal clear display are still my first choice in this price range.  If B&N could shoehorn in a camera, gps and bluetooth, that would really shake things up a bit.  Just my opinion...

Sounds like you'd like the Samsung! Why it's still priced at $250, above the Nexus 7, I have no idea, but perhaps it's because it does provide uSD removable storage?

Though the Nexus 7 has the current buzz, I'm more excited by the trend towards low price, high power devices that still look good and have good battery life. I only hope things keep getting better through year-end.

Czechboy

bobstro wrote:

Sounds like you'd like the Samsung! Why it's still priced at $250, above the Nexus 7, I have no idea, but perhaps it's because it does provide uSD removable storage?

Though the Nexus 7 has the current buzz, I'm more excited by the trend towards low price, high power devices that still look good and have good battery life. I only hope things keep getting better through year-end.

I would probably really like the Samsung, but not at that price, and not without a uSD slot :smileyhappy:.  And yes, low price and high power are a great combination.  I still like the style of the NC and NT.  I'm glad they didn't make it look like virtually every other tablet out there.  But the huge advantage that B&N, Amazon and Google have is that they can afford to sell their devices at a lower price because they will probably make a lot back on their own content (in fact their banking on it).  Clouds are ok, but they're not always accessible, and the SD card give you another way to make the device a bit different than the competitors, and it makes it a more versitile device.

bobstro

Carification: The Samsung DOES have a uSD slot. It's very similar to the NOOK Tablet (dual core processor, 1G RAM, 8G storage on-board, uSD expandable storage) but with the cameras, bluetooth, GPS and play store access you wanted. Size-wise and weigh-wise, it's between the NT and the NST. The lighter weight and NST-like shape make it very easy to handle. At $250, it's above the latest NOOK pricing, but only a few weeks ago was at the same level.

Czechboy

bobstro wrote:

Carification: The Samsung DOES have a uSD slot. It's very similar to the NOOK Tablet (dual core processor, 1G RAM, 8G storage on-board, uSD expandable storage) but with the cameras, bluetooth, GPS and play store access you wanted. Size-wise and weigh-wise, it's between the NT and the NST. The lighter weight and NST-like shape make it very easy to handle. At $250, it's above the latest NOOK pricing, but only a few weeks ago was at the same level.

Not bad considering that I paid that price for a NT last December :smileywink:.  Cool.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

Question: Does the N7 support a USB host mode that would permit connection of an external "thumb" drive or a card reader?  If so, this would seem to be a solution to the lack of SD card slot.

I have had the same question about host mode for the NC/NT running CM7 - anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

flyingtoastr
0 Kudos

Also worth mentioning, the screen on the Samsung is pretty much garbage compared to either the NT or Nexus 7. It's where Samsung saved all their money to hit the $250 pricepoint.

bobstro

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Also worth mentioning, the screen on the Samsung is pretty much garbage compared to either the NT or Nexus 7. It's where Samsung saved all their money to hit the $250 pricepoint.

Sorry, FT, but you're not exactly an unbiased observer. I'll give the NOOKs credit for an outstanding screen. The Samsung reflects a bit more glare and skews towards yellow out of the box. Once I put a screen protector on it -- the same type I have on my NOOKs, since neither are Gorilla glass -- the glare was the same, and a software tweak takes care of the color bias. When reading side-by-side, there's really very little difference with black text on a white background. Hardly garbage. I'd give the NOOK a point or two on screen quality on a 10 point score, but the SGT would make up for it on other points overall.

The Nexus 7 screen absolutely blows both away. Whatever edge the NOOK had screen-wise is gone, and you can't simply roll it in with the Nexus and imply they're the same.