Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: So about Google Nexus 7...

Yes, it's funny.

B&N allows Google Ads and Display Ads from Google on its main site and forum.

Google is turning around and allocating some of them for Nexus 7.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Aw, FT, 25-45 is NOT middle age. I know we seem old to you, but sheesh. :smileywink: 

As much as we don't want to admit it, 35, really is middle-aged.  45 definitely is.  25, not so much.

(Says 36, almost 37, not really wanting to think about that....)

Um, err, well, uh ...

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:
[...] Given that middle aged women ("Julie") consume the vast plurality of content BN is selling (books) in the United States, they can quite effectively maintain a healthy income flow catering to the market, even if it is a small segment overall. 

It is the exact way BN's stores have been profitable, actually. Most Americans don't read (they'd rather let their talking screens tell them what to think), but there is a small segement ("power buyers") that spend inordinate amounts on books and actually end up supporting the entire market.

FT, are you describing "Julie" buying print books, or ebooks? No doubt, there's a core of dedicated buyers that like the book buying experience in a store. My question, though, is whether most "Julies" have any sort of reader at all. If not, and if that number is not growing, doesn't that bode poorly for the B&N NOOK approach? I have no data either way, so I'm genuinely asking.

I don't see how catering to a wider market means abandoning "Julie" in some way. I think, done right, B&N can expand the number of potential customers coming into their (for now, unique among ereader) brick & mortar stores. For example, if the B&N Android app provided the Read-in-Store feature, isn't that a good way to draw people in to your counter and possibly grow the "e-Julie" market?

Given Matt Blind's estimate that ebook sales at at $100m-$120m have already passed about half of their likely level of sales in a prospective mature market size of $250m, and even given that "Julie"s are likelier to be late adopters than early adopters, then if purchases of tablet devices of some sort suitable for ereading tracks the volume of sales, something on the order of 1/3 to 1/2 of the Julies of a mature ebook markets should have a tablet device of some sort suitable for ereading at this point.

2012 or 2013 is the year when the ebook market should hit maturity if Matt Blind's estimate of the growth sigmoid is anywhere near to correct, which is why the market appeal in the 2012 Christmas season is so critical in the difference between having a long term sustainable market segment and dwindling back into obscurity.

The ideal outcome for B&N is a tripod of (1) inexpensive devices dedicated to selling out of a B&N ecosystem, (2) embedding of access to the B&N ecosystem as the default in some other wisely distributed system and (3) direct adoption of access to the B&N ecosystem by customers possessing other devices.

There's no guarantee that they'll successfully establish any one of those three, but may as well go for all three.

5ivedom wrote:
Yes, it's funny.

B&N allows Google Ads and Display Ads from Google on its main site and forum.

Google is turning around and allocating some of them for Nexus 7.

Its quite possible for Google and B&N to be Frenemies, like Apple and Samsung ~ after all, if a someone buys a Nexus 7, and installs a Nook app, and buys their books from B&N, then that particular Nexus 7 customer is a win for B&N.

keriflur

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Aw, FT, 25-45 is NOT middle age. I know we seem old to you, but sheesh. :smileywink: 

As much as we don't want to admit it, 35, really is middle-aged.  45 definitely is.  25, not so much.

(Says 36, almost 37, not really wanting to think about that....)

Um, err, well, uh ...

Nah, I plan to live to a hundred. So I won't be middle-aged til I'm 50. :smileywink: 

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

keriflur wrote:

Has anyone else noticed how heavily the Nexus 7 is advertised on this site? I've seen the ads here in the forums a number of times, and just saw another one when shopping for a book. 

I hate being the one to break this to you :catembarrassed:, but that's because you've been researching the N7 recently and the advertising service B&N uses knows that and serves you the ads it thinks will interest you. I was looking at Aeron chairs a few weeks ago, and now the only ads I see on B&N and several other sites are for them. I've never seen a Nexus ad here. You may see a tiny link in the vicinity of such ads that invites you to opt out of targeted advertising in your Google settings.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
keriflur
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Has anyone else noticed how heavily the Nexus 7 is advertised on this site? I've seen the ads here in the forums a number of times, and just saw another one when shopping for a book. 

I hate being the one to break this to you :catembarrassed:, but that's because you've been researching the N7 recently and the advertising service B&N uses knows that and serves you the ads it thinks will interest you. I was looking at Aeron chairs a few weeks ago, and now the only ads I see on B&N and several other sites are for them. I've never seen a Nexus ad here. You may see a tiny link in the vicinity of such ads that invites you to opt out of targeted advertising in your Google settings.

Lol. But Google knows I already bought one. They should be smart enough to try to sell me something else.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Sun_Cat wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Lol. But Google knows I already bought one. They should be smart enough to try to sell me something else.

Aha! They're smart but not quite smart enough. They should be showing you upsells for cases and other accessories. Just wait till next year. They'll have refined their model by then.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
keriflur
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Sun_Cat wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Aha! They're smart but not quite smart enough. They should be showing you upsells for cases and other accessories. Just wait till next year. They'll have refined their model by then.

What's even funnier is that Google gathers device and browser info, so they know that almost all of my visits to this site in the last week have been on the N7. They should be trying to sell me a mobile keyboard. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:
[...] Lol. But Google knows I already bought one. They should be smart enough to try to sell me something else.

You've hurt your N7's feelings with some of your recent jabs at Asus. How's your latest doing? Are you liking it? Is the build quality improved?

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:
[...] Lol. But Google knows I already bought one. They should be smart enough to try to sell me something else.

You've hurt your N7's feelings with some of your recent jabs at Asus. How's your latest doing? Are you liking it? Is the build quality improved?

I like it a lot. The build quality on this one is good - no screen rise, dead pixels, or light bleed. This one came from the third major production run (the C80 series). I've heard some in that run have still had issues, but it seems like they've gotten most of the kinks worked out. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

keriflur, have you head anything about sales estimates for Nexus 7?

I keep hearing estimates that are all over the place. From initial run of 600,000 to 2 million already sold.

keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

keriflur, have you head anything about sales estimates for Nexus 7?

I keep hearing estimates that are all over the place. From initial run of 600,000 to 2 million already sold.

I haven't actually.  I wonder if the variation is sold-through-Google versus sold overall, or the larger is total sold, not subtracting returns?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Schmidt did say that Google is activating around 70000 Android tablets worldwide a day last week. Assuming the N7 is all of that (probably not since it's available in few countries, but we'll give 'er the benefit of the doubt) it would be at roughly 4 million in sales since it started shipping in July. Of course, that doesn't count returns and defectives.

A more likely estimate is that the N7 is about a quarter of "real" Android tablet sales, and when you factor in the defective first run and such I would be very surprised if it was a big mover.

In short, I'd be very surprised if the N7 had broken half-a-million at this point. Which pretty much follows the Nexus brand's historical sales: high excitement and engagement from the tech community, but generally ignored by the mass public in favor of heavily modified Android devices (phones with heavy skins like the Samsung Galaxy SIII and tablets like the KF and NT). Stock Android just isn't that big of a selling point to the general public at this point.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Schmidt did say that Google is activating around 70000 Android tablets worldwide a day last week. Assuming the N7 is all of that (probably not since it's available in few countries, but we'll give 'er the benefit of the doubt) it would be at roughly 4 million in sales since it started shipping in July. Of course, that doesn't count returns and defectives.

A more likely estimate is that the N7 is about a quarter of "real" Android tablet sales, and when you factor in the defective first run and such I would be very surprised if it was a big mover.

With its introduction in July, N7 sales will either be broken out or be added to the Asus row in the iSuppli market share estimates in Q3. The Q2 estimate placed Asus fourth, between Amazon and B&N, the only platform other than Apple that grew faster than the average tablet market growth between Q1 and Q2.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

BruceMcF wrote:

With its introduction in July, N7 sales will either be broken out or be added to the Asus row in the iSuppli market share estimates in Q3. The Q2 estimate placed Asus fourth, between Amazon and B&N, the only platform other than Apple that grew faster than the average tablet market growth between Q1 and Q2.

Those are wildball estimates from a firm that guestimates sales based on how many screens of certain dimensions are produced in China.

In other words, take them with a huge grain of salt. The only things we can take for certain are sales numbers from Apple, the vaguarities we get from Google about devices activated, and Amazon claiming they magically control 22% of the tablet market (someone really needed to hold up one of the [citation needed] signs at that point of Bezos' speech).