Contributor
SheWolfCat

So, the silver tab that's inserted into the N/C itself for charging purposes has broken. AGAIN.

I know there's issues w/ this & I'm extremely careful when I read whilst it's plugged in, but seemingly to no avail. $25 for a new 1, for heavens sake. FYI for all out there ~ I went to Amazon & this is what I found, below. I said WTH & ordered 3 since this appears to be an ongoing problem from everything I've read on the boards. Even if items below are wrong ~ which I'm not sure how that'd happen since it clearly states "Home Wall Charger for B&N Nook Color" I'll still only be out $15 as opposed to paying $75 for 3 thru BN. My question is why on earth are these being sold on Amazon for TWO DOLLARS? You'd think BN would take notice, you know.

Anyway, perhaps this'll be helpful to those out there like me who're are unemployed, downloading ONLY free books & cant afford to pay $25 for the damn thing 2 or 3 x a year. Thoughts?

Shipping Details : WinnieCellShop
Order #:  
Shipping Method: Standard
Shipping Preference:Group my items into as few shipments as possible
Items:   $6.45
Shipping & Handling:   $8.94
 ------
Total Before Tax:   $15.39
Estimated Tax To Be Collected:*   $0.00
 ------
Order Total:   $15.39

Delivery estimate: Dec. 15, 2011 - Dec. 20, 2011
 3"New AC Home Wall Charger for B&N Nook Color"
Electronics; $2.15
In Stock
   Sold by: WinnieCellShop
Contributor
Tappo

Re: So, the silver tab that's inserted into the N/C itself for charging purposes has broken. AGAIN.

I had problems with my NC charger and I went into my local B&N and the guy at the Nook counter replaced mine for free.  Not sure if this is standard at every B&N...

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Re: So, the silver tab that's inserted into the N/C itself for charging purposes has broken. AGAIN.

[ Edited ]

Well that is the nature of in house accessories priced near the ceiling for convenience.

Nook Anti-Glare screen - $19.95 amazon $3-$25 dollars

Nook Cover - Industriell Cover was $29.95 on amazon something equivelent under $10

Same for my Nikon camera accessories. Nikon Battery $40 bucks 3rd party equivalent $15

This is nothing new and what is that made Radio Shack rich! Cables,connectors and Do-Dads!

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

[ Edited ]

Hi, SheWolfCat.

You asked if anyone had thoughts, so I'll share mine.  I don't mean any of this to be unkind, so hopefully it won't come across that way.

> I know there's issues w/ this & I'm extremely careful when I read whilst it's plugged in, <

That's your first problem.  Reading while it's plugged in.  Unless you're using it for more than 8 hours a day (which is certainly a possibility) you should just charge it overnight, and rely on the battery while reading.  What you're doing isn't extending the battery lifespan, if that was your goal.

> but seemingly to no avail. $25 for a new 1, for heavens sake. <

Did you talk to anyone at B&N about your problem?  The device is warranteed for a full year, and that includes the AC adapter and cable.  In fact, your adapter is still probably just fine.. it's only the cable that keeps breaking on you.  I can sympathize with that, because they're not very well made, and a frequent source of complaints here.

Since you said it has broken AGAIN, that suggests it broke before, and you already bought one replacement.  That's unfortunate, because you should not have had to do so.  While I'm sure that B&N is willing to sell them, for all they know you just want an extra one for work, or the beach, or whatever.  If you told them your first one broke, they should have set you up with a replacement.  If you check the Forum here, you will find they have done so for many NC owners.

> FYI for all out there ~ I went to Amazon & this is what I found, below. I said WTH & ordered 3 since this appears to be an ongoing problem from everything I've read on the boards. Even if items below are wrong ~ which I'm not sure how that'd happen since it clearly states "Home Wall Charger for B&N Nook Color" I'll still only be out $15 as opposed to paying $75 for 3 thru BN. My question is why on earth are these being sold on Amazon for TWO DOLLARS? You'd think BN would take notice, you know. <

Well, several comments on that.  First off, I hope you do get an adapter that will work with your NC.  Unfortunately, there's no guarantee of that.  The seller (eForcity) lists the same adapter for many devices, and decided to make a listing with Nook Color in the title.  You'd think then that when it gave a list of 50 devices it would work with that the Nook Color would be included, but no.

Secondly, the label on that adapter says 5V-12V.  I'm not sure how to interpret that, but 12V is flat-out wrong for the NC.  Hopefully it actually delivers just 5V.

Thirdly, that looks like about a 500 mA adapter.  If so, that means your NC will take 4-5x as long to charge as it will with your B&N-provided adapter, which delivers 2,200 mA.  :smileysad:  Even if it can put out more than 500 mA, I don't believe the NC will accept more than that when using a normal microUSB connector.  That's why it comes with an extended (longer) connector, which has extra pins, to carry the extra current.

Fourthly, it looks like that same $2 adapter is being sold in other listings on Amazon for 14 cents.  Ya got ripped off!  :smileyhappy:  More seriously, there's really no way to know what it is they're selling, because the picture they provided probably isn't even correct, and the long list of supported devices doesn't always even include the device in the title.

Lastly, others buying the same adapter for other devices complained in those listings that it was a cheaply made Chinese product, that worked a couple times, then started draining the device it was supposed to charge.  Instead of putting power in.  :smileysurprised:  

I'm honestly hoping that this will work out for you.  Especially since you bought 3.  Since there was no shipping discount for buying more than one (which in itself is often somewhat suspicious), I would have suggested that trying just one would have been more prudent.  

Please let us know either way.  And maybe share a snapshot of it here.  Good luck!

- Mark

Contributor
SheWolfCat
0 Kudos

HI guys & thx for the replies. Mark, you've not brought up anything I didnt think of! :smileyhappy: You're bang on the $$$ w/ your remarx; I'll just have to see what happens. Again, its only $15 if they dont work *shrug*.

*New rant* Yesterday I actually did have my BN order a new charger for me (store to store) & this is what I get today!

Thank you for your order. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to fill your order for:
1 copy of NOOK Color/Tablet Charger Replacement, 1400500567         
We are sorry that we were unable to complete this order and apologize for any inconvenience this has caused. 
If you would like to place a new order for this item, you are welcome to call us at the number below. Please reference the order number indicated above.

Srsly, WTH? I'm going to call corporate tmrw & raise cain. I've downloaded over 800 books & at this point, BN oughta be giving me stock options  :smileytongue:.

*Panics cos I cant READ MY NOOK*  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This sucks. First World Problems, I know.

*End whine*

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
0 Kudos

You did good!  *smile*

I got my Nook Color in April and within a month had had two charger cords fail at the NookC end.  They just fell apart.  Both times the B&N I was near replaced it on site.  But, since I love reading I also ordered another one.  Then in July I realized I could get it at Amazon if I were diligent about looking at the specs to make sure it was actually for the Nook Color.  

Not saying anything bad about B&N but I admit I go to the discount place when it's a smart move.

Nooksie
0 Kudos

I got curious and went looking for the specs for this particular device.  Oddly, none of the sellers at Amazon had the info.  But what I did find was "compatible with Nook and Nook Color."  As you have a NookColor you already know that chargers are not compatible for both Nook and Nook Color.  It's either one or the other.  

If this isn't the right one for your NC I hope you follow up and make them refund your money including shipping fees both ways.  If the seller won't, Amazon will.  Insisting they back up their own product and promises is the only way Amazon works for us, the buyer.

Keystoneco
0 Kudos

SheWolfCat,

Tell me if I'm wrong.  Your charge cable broke at the NC end (male micro USB cable end) and you ordered replacement chargers on Amazon.

You use your NC while charging, putting strain on the USB cable, causing breakage.

You didn't use your warranty this time or prior time(s).

You don't know that the cable-only is available at BN for $14.95.

You might end up with additional chargers (the part that plugs into the wall).

You may not receive the parts from Amazon that actually broke.

Good luck, but next time ask for help before you leap.

Mark_OB1

Keystone wrote:

> some stuff

That seems a bit harsh.  Sure SheWolfCat might have handled it a little better, but she already knows that.  No reason to rub it in.  

The point is, she has a problem, and needs to find a solution.  That's what we should be focusing on.  She has a NC she can't use!

I'd suggest, if she has a B&N local to her, that she go in with her broken cable and show it to them.  And see how they respond.  Obviously, B&N Ordering has dropped the ball for her.

- Mark

P.S.  "You might end up with additional chargers (the part that plugs into the wall)."  Just a note that ALL the 3rd-party ones I saw on Amazon are all-in-one units, with the cable attached to the supply.  So they all have "additional chargers".

gaming_grandma
0 Kudos

Thank you, SheWolfCat. I have gone through six cords since I received my NC just over a year ago. After the first one broke, I stopped reading with it plugged in, but they still disassembled. Since I have never had to replace a cord on any of my other electronic devices, I have to assume that the NC cord has a design flaw. At $25 per replacement I was very pleased to get your suggestion since my sixth NC cord is currently held together with electrical tape. I'm starting to wonder if the cords and not the books are Barnes & Nobles' after market items.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Well one solution I would avail myself if one broke on me. Is when I got the replacement would pick up some heat shrink tubing at electrical supplies Radio shack,etc... Round tube cut about 3"-4" and slide over end of usb connector flush with casing edge and extended down an inch or so onto the cable. Then a hairdryer to heat shrink tight and stiff.

And was taken back when someone mentioned that B&N states that cables & charger is not covered by warranty? Is this standard for other devices?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

SheWolfCat,

in the meantime, until you can get to your local B&N (or if you don't have one nearby), if you can find any microUSB to USB cable around the house (perhaps from some other device), you could use that instead.  Just plug it into your current NC charger and your Nook, then shut the NC all the way off (hold down the Power button until it asks, then say Yes).

You can't use your NC in that mode, because it will pull power out faster than it can be put in.  But you can use it to charge overnight.  Instead of taking 3-4 hours to charge completely, it will take 12-16 hours.  :smileysad:  But at least you can use it for the other 8!  :smileyhappy:  The "new" chargers you ordered will do no better than that (if they work at all).

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

I have to correct one bit of mis-information I provided above.  I had said,

> your B&N-provided adapter, which delivers 2,200 mA <

when actually, it's only 1,900 mA.  I should have looked at my NC, instead of going from memory.  The last time I looked was probably 6 months ago, and I've dealt with lots of other adapters with different capacities since then.

My apologies.

- Mark

Mark_OB1
0 Kudos

Nooskie wrote:

> Then in July I realized I could get it at Amazon if I were diligent about looking at the specs to make sure it was actually for the Nook Color. <

While you can get adapters that will output the ~2 amps that the NC needs for charging, AFAIK there's no on else who has a cable with the microUSB end having the extra length and extra pins required, to be able to fast-charge the device.  The best you will do with any of them will be a somewhat painful overnight charge (12-16 hours, as mentioned above).

- Mark

Frequent Contributor
ridgrnr
0 Kudos

The hard black cover of my charger where it plugs into the NC came apart about a month after I got it. I took a piece of electrical tape and wrapped it around it to secure the cover. It's been a year and no issues. If yours has come apart, try it. And if it hasn't, take some preventive action so it doesn't since it's obvious it will eventually!

Contributor
Fishgirl3
0 Kudos

A word of caution about purchasing charger cables through Amazon that claim to be NC compatible. The cables are not always compatible despite the vendor's claims. I too was swayed by the lower price of accessories advertized on Amazon; in my case the 'good deal' was on a Revive DualFluxDC car charger complete with NC compatible cable shipped by Accessory Genie. The charger works fine, but the cable is not compatible with my Nook Color, so I must use my B&N cable with the charger. I'm okay with this solution, but it has taught me to think twice when the price is really cheap.

Contributor
SheWolfCat

Tell me if I'm wrong.  Your charge cable broke at the NC end (male micro USB cable end) and you ordered replacement chargers on Amazon.

Yes, I did.

You use your NC while charging, putting strain on the USB cable, causing breakage.

Yes, I did.

You didn't use your warranty this time or prior time(s).

My warranty's no use, I bought my Nook in Nov 2010 & b/c I bought it at BestBuy (hey, BN was OOS) I couldnt get the 2 yr warranty sold only thru BN.

You don't know that the cable-only is available at BN for $14.95.

Aha! THIS I did NOT know, thank you!!!!

You might end up with additional chargers (the part that plugs into the wall).

You may not receive the parts from Amazon that actually broke.

I guess I'll see when I receive the order, no?

Good luck, but next time ask for help before you leap.

I thank you & I will. I did however, get lots of helpful info very quickly after posting here, so again, TY all for your replies. It also appears as tho *I* may have helped at least 1 person by posting my charger woes  :smileyhappy:. Incidentally, I went to BN today (they're literally right around the corner from me here in ATL) & I was given a CORD @ no charge. Happily, quietly & w/ no fuss.

So I guess I didnt screw up TOO badly, Keystone.

Contributor
SheWolfCat
0 Kudos

Food for thought. And here I figured they were getting my $$$ when I'd actually PAY for a book, lol.

Contributor
SheWolfCat

*Promises Nooksie I will return the chargers if they suck*

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

The cable replacement syndrome

Each time I read one of these complaints, and I hear of people who have gone through multiple "defective" cables, I have this to say:

1. I have owned four different Nook Colors and Nook Tablets, all bought at different time;  each came with a separate B&N USB/power cable.  In addition, I purchased a spare cable/power adapter for my office, and a mobile adapter for my car as well.  That's six B&N USB/power cables, and I have had ZERO problems with ANY OF THEM.
  2. If you are having issues with multiple cables purchased new, then you are doing something wrong.  First of all, cables of any type are not like rope;  they cannot be bent at sharp angles and be expected to continue to work.  If you bend any signal cable with a radius of less than an inch, you can cause problems.  Second, you can't insert the "silver tab" into the Nook at an odd angle, nor can you use force.  If you do, you will damage the Nook, and then you will continue to have problems even with new cables.

While some cables in the industry are built to be more damage-resistant than others (and the B&N Nook USB/power cables could certainly be more bear-cub-proof), the B&N Nook USB/power cables are not delicate, nor do they need delicate handling.  However, they cannot be treated like rope.

And yes, I've seen many, many professionals in the electronics industry, that don't understand that these cables are signal transmission lines as well as power cables, and bend them at sharp angles.  I've also seen cables being needlessly replaced, due to bear-cub-handling.

This is not meant to insult anyone;  it's meant to help people stop the cable replacement syndrome.  And no, I don't work for B&N or any cable manufacturer or seller.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.