Bibliophile
laurieb52

Software Update 1.4.1 posted

[ Edited ]

Software update 1.4.1 is now available for download. That was a quick pull and repost...

After installing the patch, I was able to download the three books that previously wouldn't download. Available updates for apps are also showing, and downloading.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Re: Software Update 1.4.1 posted

The update allows previously sideloaded apps from the amazon app store to continue working, but it prevents you from sideloading additional apps.

Distinguished Correspondent
Francisco1844
0 Kudos

For us newbie NT owners, how do we upgrade?

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Go to the colored nook tab above, then go to Noo Tablet support, and "get the latest software update. Follow the directions given to download the update to your computer, then sideload it to the main nook drive via USB.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

laurieb52 wrote:

The update allows previously sideloaded apps from the amazon app store to continue working, but it prevents you from sideloading additional apps.

If that continues to be true, that is unfortunate for the future of the NT.  That would make the NT a much less attractive alternative given there are full tablets with 7" screens at the same price point.

Correspondent
AnnieVan

No kidding. For $50 more, my husband bought a refurbished Samsung 10.1 Tab from Woot and he wanted me to do the same. I love Android, but I didn't need the cameras, liked the smaller size for my purse and liked the fast processor. And I HAD to have the Nook. I have been able to get everything on it that I wanted, but if I continue to have this limited access, that means he will be right:smileyembarrassed:  RATS!

northlite

Sorry to hear this and wish there was a way to block the install of the update. I use the Kindle app among many others from Amazon...for one example, B&N is very slow to update Angry Birds episodes. December was half over before we got the Christmas episode, so I uninstalled the Nook version and am using the one from Amazon. To me not being able to install and use apps I paid for legally from whatever source severely limits the usefulness of the tablet. If I wanted ONLY a reader I'd only use my N1E and N2E.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Correspondent
TelSC

Why this latest incanation is called a Nook Tablet just beats the hell out of me. It's upgraded hardware and that's about it. Why not call it Nook Color 2 or something like that. I'm sorry if I disagree with you B&N lovers, but when you have a Nook Color and then release something called a Nook Tablet, then you IMPLY that there will be some difference in the two besides upgraded hardware that really means nothing since they upgraded the Color to basically the same software. At least with the color you could do tablet type things. Now with this, they have blocked another avenue that made the tablet more user friendly.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
Contributor
mark_st

Im sure someone will be able to figure out how we can sideload apps once we upgrade to 1.4.1   

northlite

Let's hope so.

My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Contributor
frankly_my_dear

I'd say this is rather short-sighted of B&N.  

The ability to sideload without rooting was a key driver in selecting three NT for significant family gifts. This changes my thinking markedly.  

I've done the rooting route :smileyhappy: on the NC and do not want to/will not deal with the hassle for the NTs. 

If this shakes out like it appears to be doing, I'm glad this is in place:

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/help/help_cds2.asp?PID=37128

Contributor
frankly_my_dear

Nom-de-Nook wrote:

laurieb52 wrote:

If that continues to be true, that is unfortunate for the future of the NT.  That would make the NT a much less attractive alternative given there are full tablets with 7" screens at the same price point.

I very much agree with this.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

If you want to block the update, it looks possible but it looks like you'd have to be

- willing to root your device

- willing to live without the bugfixes in 1.4.1

I just took a quick spin through the build.prop files in the restore zip from the tablet and in the update.  The build.prop in the update looks completely compatible with the build.prop in 1.4.0, and it will serve to identify your device as having been updated and not needing the update. 

In order to use the updated build.prop, you would need to mount /system as writeable, and that means you would need root access. 

You'd then copy in the build.prop from the update and reboot.  If all went well (and yesterday I spent an hour or so looking at trying to get a Nook Color to tell BN that it was a Nook Simple Touch;  while that didn't work, I made some very aggressive changes to build.prop in the process and my device booted throughout) your device would boot, and then tell anyone who asked that it was running the latest software, including the over-the-air update fairy.

Another advantage of rooting is that you may be able to uncouple your Nook Tablet from depending on BN to deliver Netflix updates. 

I just saw that Netflix is in /system, which is read-only by default.  This means that Nook Tablet owners may be on an upgrade treadmill as Netflix is updated:  older Netflix versions have become unsupported very quickly, and unless BN has developed a way to use their package installer to update items in /system, I suspect that keeping access to Netflix will mean applying updates. 

As of the update, Netflix is at 1.5;  the SD netflix in the marketplace is at 1.6, so it seems likely that the firmware Netflix is falling behind....

Rooted users should be able to uninstall the stock Netflix and install the non-HD version from the Android Market.  (It is possible that the non-HD version won't like being on an NT, though - it may do a check at startup and know that on this device, it's supposed to have a specific configuration.) 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
os2k

I am too upset about the blocking of side-loading apps. When I bought the Nook Tablet side-loading was available and was one of my main decision drivers. Taking away features from a device after purchasing is essentially a "bait-and-switch" scam.

It is unacceptable.

Is there a place where we can start a petition to have BN re-instate the option to side-load apps?

Or if such a petition has been started - let me know so I can sign up!

Wordsmith
moose_tracker

[ Edited ]

So do I, I bought 2 for christmas presents. One was for myself, I will be at Best Buy tonight, looking over their selection of full Tablets.. The other is for my son, he is undecided, but will come with me to Best Buy to look over the selection..

Then we will go across the street to B&N and return one if not two NT's...

I was fine with the NT encouraging me to make them my prefered store to buy my books & apps from.. I will though pay extra not to be totally locked in and controlled.

I do not new devices every year for the latest & greatest.. I buy, and then stay with a device for 4 to 5 years. This move of B&N makes me doubt they will succeed in their hope that their Nooks will save their buisness..  I see a LOT of returns, and I forsee the company going the way of Borders (all on this move alone).. They just didn't know their market.. I do not want to be stuck in two years with a device that is locked into only being able to make purchases from a defunct store.  The xda forum is a-buzz about returning the device (if within the return dates)..  Or putting them up on sale on E-Bay..

BAD MOVE B&N...  You have just made the list of Boneheaded buisness moves for the year 2011..

P.S. RoustAbout.. Thanks, I would definatly go that root if I was outside of the return policy deadline, but, as I am within the return policy deadline, it is best to find a device that I don't need to play games, with control freaks. I am sure it may help others who are thinking of putting their devices up for sale on Ebay.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

os2k writes:  " Taking away features from a device after purchasing is essentially a "bait-and-switch" scam"

When Sony prevented people from running Linux on their ps3s, that was after they'd marketed the device heavily as supporting being both a console and having an "alternate OS" option. 

The Nook Tablet was never sold as offering other markets or sideloadable apps - that was a mistake made in the earliest release of the software, and there's nothing unethical about a bugfix. 

If you want to continue having this unsupported use of your tablet, you can retain it but will lose all support from BN.

If you're still within the return window, by all means return it and explain why.  If you aren't in the window, you might look to see if you can sell it on.  I would guess that a nook tablet would get 200-250 this week, if it's in good condition and especially if your local shops are out of stock. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Contributor
frankly_my_dear

... not a true "bait and switch," but virtually every review has praised the NT and BN for keeping sideloading capability, and many argued that it was a huge factor/differentiator in the comparative pricing between the NT and the Fire.

BN is shooting itself in the foot I'm afraid.  The same tech sites that praised the NT in the initial reviews can also potentially do a lot (and quickly) to impact public opinion around the subsequent blocking of sideloading and it's impact to the value proposition of the NT.

JMTR

I've created an account just to comment on this issue.

Eliminating app sideloading on the Nook Tablet is a terrible, customer-unfriendly move by B&N. It's a bit like the Netflix Qwikster fiasco, on a smaller scale.

My NT is only a few days old. I've been in the process of sideloading necessary or useful apps that are unavailable from B&N (got that, B&N? no sales are being lost because I couldn't buy them from B&N anyway). I haven't finished, and now I may not be able to, but I was able to install the most crucial app: Google Music, which enables me to access and play my entire 12,000-song music collection in the Google cloud. (I also can access my music via the NT browser if it's set to desktop mode, but the music stops playing when I switch to another app. The Google Music app lets me listen to music while I read.) Without this capability, I probably would return my NT. I researched the NT, considered my own trivial "hacking" capabilities, and decided that I could make this approach work before I bought the NT. If I had waited just a few days longer, I wouldn't have been able to do it!

Of course, I'm still annoyed by losing the ability -- no, losing the right -- to install other great apps that B&N does not offer.

A couple of points in response to roustabout: The ability to install software on a computer that is designed for the computer's operating system is not a "bug." If anything, a bug is the inability to install software. When such a bug is placed intentionally by the manufacturer, it's a hostile move against the customer base. And in my opinion, it is indeed unethical to force an update on users that removes features or capabilities from already-purchased devices. Regardless of licensing red tape, I should have the option to preserve my NT hardware and software in the form in which I bought and paid for them. Even Microsoft lets users turn off automatic Windows updates.

Wordsmith
moose_tracker

frankly_my_dear wrote:

... but virtually every review has praised the NT and BN for keeping sideloading capability, and many argued that it was a huge factor/differentiator in the comparative pricing between the NT and the Fire.

When I did my research this is what I got out of the reviews as well.. If you were not going to sideload or root, then the KF was the better choice but if you were willing to sideload or root the Nook was the better choice..

I hear enough bad about the KF, that that will not be where I will go after I return my Nooks.. It will be a true tablet. Even If I need to pay a bit more, it is worth it not to be controlled.. Since I purchase a extra 2 year warrenty with the Nooks, I was already paying over $300 per Nook.. I will just go with something and not add the extra warrenty.. I still want the sd card slot, that was also a big selling point of the Nook.

I am happy B&N did not wait until Feb 1st to pull this, so everyone who wishes can return the xmas gifts, But wish they did so at least a week earlier, as now I need to purchase from a Brick & Mortar Store, or pay extra for shipping and "Hope" it gets here in time for xmas.

Correspondent
SamSpade88

Here is another perspective why B&N likely removed this side-loading function capability with the new update: 

http://androidcommunity.com/nook-tablet-update-breaks-3rd-party-app-installs-20111220/