Distinguished Correspondent
AdamOutler

Sticky: Side-Loading is broken

[ Edited ]

I purchased this tablet with the ability to sideload apps.   This ability was removed in the 1.4.1 update which was applied automatically to my Nook Tablet. Regardless of if it was a mistake or not, it was a feature. 

If I sold Bobby a red Honda sports car with rims and an aftermarket stereo, then I decided I didn't want him to have my stereo so I came by at 4AM and "updated" his car, would that be right?  This situation is the same as the 1.4.1 update.  Regardless of how much Bob would use the stereo, it's not right to remove a feature which was sold with the device. 

Now that it's open, I think I like this Nook Tablet.
Reader 2
aquarian1

Re: Sticky: Side-Loading is broken

Agree completely!

Contributor
indirect

Thanks for posting this Adam. I would really hate to see it be "Customers vs B&N" here. Why cant we work WITH the company for once?

Contributor
Deke218

Although root stops the update process, I will still be returning my NT in the next week or so.  If B&N can decide to update MY product whenever they wish and change key features that went into my decision making on buying the product then clearly I am no the sole owner of this device.  

So to B&N - you can have your device back.  I'm going with the Transformer Prime.  Oh, you can have the case and car charger back also.  

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

It's right in the EULA that you agreed to that BN can push automatic updates to your device.

northlite

Yep. And it's right there on the Holiday return policy page that I can take it back. So far I've ducked the update, only turning on wifi to download new books. But that's not going to work forever, and I am unwilling to root the device. As soon as that update goes in I can't use the device the way I want. Therefore, it's going back unless this is reversed. One of the reasons I chose the Nook Tabet is that I could sideload apps without rooting. If I can't do that, I'll go back to reading on my Nook Touch and Nook App on the Galaxy Tab and the NT goes back to B&N.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259

FT,

> It's right in the EULA that you agreed to that BN can push automatic updates to your device. <

That's true, but I think you're fighting a losing battle.  It's really hard to take something away from people, after they've had it.  Even if it was just a mistake in the first place... it doesn't matter.

People just aren't very tolerant of it.  That's a fact.

We're only getting a taste of consumer reaction here... the real tidal wave could come on Jan31.  :smileysurprised:  Of course, from the sentiments expressed here, lots won't wait that long to return their NTs.

The time to close the barn door is before the horse gets out.  Afterwards doesn't help you at all.  B&N blew it (if their goal was to create a closed environment, which it pretty clearly was).  I think attempts to "undo" history are only going to make things worse, and wind up costing B&N in the media.

- Mark

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

Remember the Alamo (oops Amazon)

Mark_OB1 wrote:

That's true, but I think you're fighting a losing battle.  It's really hard to take something away from people, after they've had it.  Even if it was just a mistake in the first place... it doesn't matter.

People just aren't very tolerant of it.  That's a fact.

Remember the fuss over Amazon removing a copy of George Orwell's "1984" from customer's Kindles (in that case Amazon has sold something that didn't belong to them) ...

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
Marseilles

flyingtoastr wrote:

It's right in the EULA that you agreed to that BN can push automatic updates to your device.

I think the point is that he didn't agree to downdates.

Laurel the external keyboard suggestion.
Mark_OB1

flyingtoastr,

one more thing about...

> It's right in the EULA that you agreed to that BN can push automatic updates to your device. <

The more that I think about it, the more that it strikes me as a really sh!tty justification.  While technically correct, who reads a EULA for a consumer-electronics device?  Besides, the doctrine of "implied consent" won't necessarily take you very far in a court of law... much less the court of public opinion (which is far more critical).

If you actually explained to every customer who came up to you to buy a NookTablet that they were agreeing to a EULA that said that the functionality of the device they were buying (and had evaluated based on what it could do at that point in time), could be changed at any time in the future, adding or removing functionality without warning, and there was nothing they could do about it...

Well, I'd guess you'd be selling d@mn few NookTablets.  Or any other such device.  

Which of course, is precisely why no EULA is ever mentioned, and no one ever signs anything agreeing to one.  (And yes, I know the fine print comes up on the Nooks, and you have to "tap here to agree".  That's not signing, and no one ever reads it.  And the normal purpose thereof is to limit the liability of the manufacturer of the product, not to extend their control post-purchase.)

- Mark

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: Remember the Alamo (oops Amazon)

[ Edited ]

Dean remembers:  "Remember the fuss over Amazon removing a copy of George Orwell's "1984" from customer's Kindles (in that case Amazon has sold something that didn't belong to them)"

For those who argue that the doctrine of first sale and other ownership rights don't apply to ebooks, Amazon made the correct decision there. 

A bit after making that decision, they pushed out an authorized 1984 to customers in those countries wehre they had the right to do so (but for folks who'd been reading it and making notes on it, all the notes were lost.)

They could not do it everywhere, because copyright permissions follow DTB rules, even where ownership rights have new, spcial, improved, uh, nonexistence.

What was more interesting was that the same folks who'd uploaded the bootlegged 1984 had uploaded a bootlegged Animal Farm.

There was, at the time, no way for Amazon to distribute Animal Farm anywhere. 

And by contrast, in Russia and Australia, the copyright on 1984 has expired and anyone can get a copy for free! 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Mark_OB1

Dean wrote:

> Remember the fuss over Amazon removing a copy of George Orwell's "1984" from customer's Kindles (in that case Amazon has sold something that didn't belong to them) ... <

Yes, I do.  Very clearly.  And it struck me as so outrageous at the time, that I decided never to buy a Kindle, even though I was very interested in the concept of eBooks and portable readers.  And I never did.  (In spite of the fact that I've bought a lot of other stuff from amazon.com over the years.)  Even after they made an apology, and admitted they handled it improperly.

I did, OTOH, buy 5 NookColors (3 as gifts, 2 for myself).  Go figure.

- Mark

New User
caitpoo

B&N needs to promote sideloading and rooting.  Developers are just making their product better.

Reader 2
ckwelch

Agreed. I started out recommending this device to my less-tech-savvy friends and family, but cannot any longer.

poiuy

I'm not recommending it anymore either.  In fact I'm going back to those I previously recommended it to and explaining Barnes and Noble's technically legal, but morally reprehensible policies.  

Contributor
Succulent

Barnes & Noble has to embrace a community of developers out there that want to turn the Nook Tablet into a greater device. B&N has the potential to move more NT units if they embrace the community of developers by making the NT open. Me, like many others bought the Nook Tablet because it has the potential to be greater than what B&N offered. Many people will be disappointed come after Christmas and return their device because the device does not delivered on what they hope. I bought the Nook Color and it was a good device but it was open for developers to turn it into a great device. B&N can move more NT units now by making it open or let it stockpile and have to do a fire sale like the Playbook or TouchPad.

Tom51

I like my Tablet but not how B&N is handling software update.  I'm thinking to return my Tablet and just wait after the holiday return period is over to buy a deep discounted pre-owned Tablet.  B&N sells a pre-owned Color for $149, a discount from its $199 full price.  I'm almost certain that with so many returned Tablets from angry owners, B&N has to sell the overstocks with an even bigger discount to quickly recover the negative cash flow from selling the brain new ones.

Contributor
albertwertz

I am uploading a workaround video that follows the XDA forums. Many people have asked for a step by step procedure. Will finish uploading in a few hours http://www.youtube.com/user/albertcwertz?feature=mhee

mohawkx

[ Edited ]

Unless something develops between now and the 31st of Jan I'll be doing the same.  All I want is sideloading capabilities.  Essentially, I need the B&N tablet to do the things I need it to do.  It worked fine for me until the update/downdate came along.  I'll buy a refurb Nook Color and put in a N2A SD card.  That way it will meet my needs. 

Many threads on many forums full of many people planning on doing just that.  Just goes to show what the priorities are from a customer standpoint.  Sideloading is more important than 1gig of ram and dual core processing.

This brings an interesting question to mind.  B&N never took a financial hit when the Nook Color was rooted and allowed sideloading with an open bootloader.  Sales and reviews of the Nook Color were through the roof and it was a flagship device for B&N from the moment it was released.  The Nook Color made money for B&N throughout it's production irregardless of what the devs did to it.  Why does B&N want to wall in the entire Nook Tablet device?  Seems they are going against their own success story thay had with the Nook Color.

Wordsmith
moose_tracker

mohawkx wrote:

Many threads on many forums full of many people planning on doing just that.  Just goes to show what the priorities are from a customer standpoint.  Sideloading is more important than 1gig of ram and dual core processing.

Maybe that is it for some. For others it is just a protest against forced control that was not on the NT when we bought it.. The Device is great.. For me the side-load was a nice feature, but not the most important feature.. But it shaped some freedom and possibilities.. But, I wouldn't buy ipad due to control, a big negative of KF was control, and now Nook joins the "No Thanks" over an issue of control.. Basically my stance was I am not that into apps.. But don't take the possibility that someday, I may get the bug, and want to get a few.. (Those that aren't sold at B&N)..  Like if a friend shows me a neat game and I really get excited about it, to find it not sold at B&N :smileysad:...