Contributor
Fred67

Re: Sticky: Side-Loading is broken

moose_tracker wrote:

... I think most of us who are upset, have done our ranting and raving,  wandering around trying to figure out what we wanted to do after getting the rug pull out from under us.. And (I think) most of us are now set with returning the NT and getting the Galaxy 7plus.. A few are looking at other devices, a few have decided to keep it, and maybe a few are undecided..

I worked fast today... I returned THREE Nook Tablets.  I want to thank the community for pointing out the liberal 2011 holiday return policy, and I want to thank B&N for having that policy.

Immediately after I returned them, I went out and got two Galaxy Tab 7.0 pluses... only because they only had two; had to order a third one online.  Got home and gave them to the kids (the wife agreed to wait for hers... sadly I'm not getting one).  One of the first things I did was configure the Nook app on each one, and as you'd guess it works great... no problem downloading the book we had problems with last week.  Went on to the marketplace and got all three angry bird games for free, and the netflix app runs absolutely great.

B&N has not lost me as a customer... in some senses (by taking the return) they've gotten a lot more respect from me.  I'll continue to buy ebooks from B&N over Amazon or elsewhere when all things are equal.  I hope they learn, before it's too late, that the iron fisted control just drives people away.  Give them flexibility and make the item more useful to people, and it will be more in demand.

I never needed or wanted side loading, just enough content (including apps) from B&N to make the "tablet" part of "Nook Tablet" more like what a tablet should be.  Nobody expects an iPad.  They expected a functional tablet with an e-reader.  What they got is a tablet whose functionality was so hamstrung by iron fisted control that it was little better than a $50 e-reader (IMO).  What a waste of great hardware.

Distinguished Correspondent
gilgomez

Fred67:

Were they (folks working at the store)ok with the returns?  No resistance?  Cash returned on the spot?  I am afraid because I want to return my NT (and purchase the 8.9" Galaxy Tab) but it has the Nook Tablet screen saver/scratch resisntant glare film.  Will they give me a hard time?  I so want to avoid a show.....hate that drama.

I am hoping to purchase an open Android Tab so I can be free to use my own Android Apps and Android Market account.  Easier to synch my device with everything else plus a major benifit:  front and rear facing cameras, ability to video chat and best of all:  Skype. My son is overseas in the military so I hate missing any chance to see him on a chat.  We have a 13 or 14 hour difference! 

So let me know if I will be facing any drama at the store tomorrow night when I return my NT.  Love it but sincerly do resent not being able to install updates to all those Android apps I loaded up as soon as I purchased it.  This was before the software update that closed this off.  Bummer.

Thanks for any advice...........

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook

Make sure you really want that galaxy 8.9  Supposedly there is no expansion slot on it unlike the 7.  At that cost, that is a deal breaker for me for any tab not an iPad.

Contributor
Fred67

@gilgomez

I called the 800 number on the web page for the holiday return policy first.  You don't have to, you can just bring them into the store, but I had some questions.  I had only two of the three boxes, for example, and wanted to know if I was unable to return the third Nook because of it (they told me I could if I just found any box it fit in, but my wife found it later on, before I got home from work).  Also, since I pre-ordered before the date specified (ordered 11/9, the date in the return policy is "from November 14") but since they didn't ship until 11/18, I was good to go.  They wanted the serial numbers of each Nook for verification.

I left the anti-glare/scratch guards on them, too; I told my wife to leave them on just in case... they don't hurt anything, and are easy to remove.

The representative on the phone then gave me the options for returning them, and I just said I wanted to bring them into the store - I only called to make sure it wouldn't be a problem and waste of time.

At the store, they had to go through the same thing - verifying all the serial numbers.  I didn't have a receipt, I had the shipping insert, but the order was shown under my account.  It took a while, but not from them hassling me, I mostly just stood there waiting for them to process everything.

The Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus seems great... I don't know about the 8.9", it was too expensive (keep in mind everything for me was multiplied by 3).  We surely don't "need" all the extra features, but the extra features (as you mentioned - dual cameras, microphone) and the fact that it's open to the android marketplace make it easily worth the $100 extra.  We went from inadequate to far beyond what we needed, and still have the Nook app and our whole library at hand.  I lost out on a couple of small apps I got in the B&N store, but that's like $4, so I didn't really care.

Everybody's happy now, and the nagging pain in my neck stopped :smileywink:

Wordsmith
moose_tracker

Gilgomez:

I returned my two with no problem or hassel. But I guess since I used a debit card, I had to get cash back. That meant they went to one cash register and gave me a $50, some $20's, some $5s and lots of ones.. Then went to another register and the same thing.. I left with my wallet buldging with about $600 (I had bought the extra Warrenty coverage, and accessories) in mostly small bills..

I think I heard of one person who had a salesperson who gave them a dfificult time.. Remember they are people with their own personalities.. So the answer is that they SHOULD not give you a hard time..

Fred67:

Good to know about the boxes..  They did state in the return policy that they wanted it packaged the way it was bought.. Which it might be difficult to do if you had it for a few weeks with no thought of possibly wanting to return it..

Otherwise then that, I was surprised that people at the xda site were telling me that if I wanted to root it, but feared destroying it, I was to do it before the return policy ran out on them.. Because although rooting killed the warrenty, it did not kill the return policy.. (Not that I did that mind you) But it basically said, the return policy means they take them back in any condition. So the screen protectors should be no issue..

Contributor
nookknock

I have a question for Roustabout, FlyingToaster, and the others that seem to be more on the "anti-sideloading apps on the Nook Tab" side of the debate - and please answer honestly.

Have you ever rooted any of your other devices - from B&N or any other brands - and do you currently have any rooted devices? Or do you believe that a consumer should use every device exactly as the company states in their EULA?

I'm asking because I'm cuious where you stand on the "rooting issue" overall and not just pertainly to B&N's products.  Your input will help me with my decision to root the Tablet or not.  I love this device, and based on many opinions on this board, feel like the only way to really enjoy all that it has to offer is to root it and retain all the B&N services and software. 

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

[ Edited ]

The closest thing I have to "rooting" a device (in messing with "non-approved OS's) is running an Ubuntu partition on my MacBook. Granted, before my NOOK Color I had absolutely no gadget worth rooting - I still use my first generation RAZR that I've had since 2006 and I don't own any other tablets or other fancy gadgets, mostly becuase I  while trying to pay for college and rent.

Honestly, I don't much care what people do with their own devices. What bothers me is the attitude that a lot of people seem to be adopting in regards to things like "sideloading" apps. BN never advertised sideloading apps as a feature. BN has a vested business and (more importantly) brand* interest in not allowing activities like this to continue. Users agreed when they registered to recieve automatic updates to their devices. The lockdown of the device is most likely a result of requirements by thrid-parties (Netflix in particular) that users screamed to high heaven about not having access to previously.

Yet we still get people on here posting about how BN "has no right" to change their devices and psuh updates. About how "BN lied in their marketing". Threatening to sue the company for fixing what they percieved as a bug. It's so far over-the-top it amazes me.

I just want people to tone it down and quit it with the hyperbole. It is ok to disagree, it's not ok to demonize. Just because I think BN had valid reasons for closing the sideloading loophole doesn't mean "everything I say needs to be taken with a grain of salt" because I happen to work for BN. I'm personally more than supportive of Roustabout's idea for BN providing an "unlocker" for the device that voids the warranty and ends any updates or support from BN but allows the user to do whatever they want with the device. I just take issue with the attitude of some posters, especially a lot of them who's only reason for even joining this community was to complain and make trouble.

*When a lot of tech reviewers are saying to buy a NOOK Tablet because it's sweet hardware and then ignore BN to install Amazon stuff it really doesn't help the brand image. As long as BN is taking the razors and blades approach to NOOK they need to be seen as a viable brand in their own right - not just a better hardware version of Amazon's offerings.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

I agree with FT on this-people are acting as if B&N advertised you could sideload other vendor's apps, which of course they did not.  The user community figured out how to do it.  Sure you have every right to return them, but the way I see it is you bought a nook tablet, not a galaxy tablet, which in some ways is inferior for the reading and video viewing done on the NT.  Other things work "better", but still other things are just not available, as in enhanced books. 

The OP's analogy to buying a car is ridiculous.  I could just as easily make the analogy that you bought the car and then decided to remove the speed governor, so you could use it in an unintended and not fully allowed way, meaning you could push the speed to over 185 MPH or whatever.

B&N is a business, and created NTs for people to buy their content.  In many ways they have actually been way more lenient in "allowing" people to use outside purchases on it, as surely they should be.  They've been more lenient than Apple, than Amazon, and so on, but not as lenient as Samsung, mainly because B&N is a content provider whereas Samsung is not.

What people were looking for that are now complaining, it seems to me, was a cheap alternative to any other type of tablet-a cheap alternative that also gave them kind of the best of many worlds, native B&N reader, high quality netflix, enhanced content, and so on.  Otherwise, pay more for something that does other things, maybe is subsidized.  And please don't try and tell me how superior these other devices are.  I've played at length with Galaxies, ipads-we have access to them since they are part of tech testing for publications that my cousin does. 

When people first found out you could sideload apps it was always speculated that B&N would remove that ability.  People knew they probably would, because it's also well known that the devices themselves don't contribute much to profitability.  It's priced at a little more than a Fire which costs more to make than it sells for, and has more costly parts to it, so it's likely there's not much return per unit.  B&N needs to make money on content. 

So, go ahead and be mad.  I understand EULAs shouldn't be used to hide behind, but people that buy ereaders are supposed to be able to read and people cannot say they didn't see this coming.  It makes a lot of sense for many reasons.

The fact they didn't fully unlock the thing in the first place should have been a tip-off.

I mean this with no disrespect and in good humor.  I just think you buy a camera because it's a camera.  If you try to use it as something it was not intended for, you can end up with problems, and many people already have had their share of them.  Who do these people then go to for help-the company that sold them the device, but every piece of electronics you buy has an agreement you are well agreeing to that they aren't responsible if you use it in an unintended way and in fact, they say you shouldn't.

Who here believes B&N intended the NT to be sideloaded with apps from other vendors?  And, you do have a choice whether to upgrad or not.  Disconnect your device from their server and their service.  Keep wifi off.  Use their service and they can send you firmware.  Do I totally agree with things being done this way?  No, but it happens all the time.  I own a PS3 and they force updates on you or you basically cannot use it, either offline or with their Playstation Network service.  Some changes are good, some I don't even know what they did.  But, I have no choice.  Game devs do the same-some games can't be played even offline if you do not update them.

Software I have needs to be updated or I risk many things, security violations and such, but in with the software updates they often add things that help the software dev and not necessarily me.  I can opt not to get the update, but then I don't get the security update as well.  They use cumulative patches a lot.

This kind of thing is everywhere, so by all means lash out at B&N for merely trying to assure that buyers will help make the product profitable so they can make more of them or even keep going in business. 

Just some food for thought and likely I will get called a B&N lover or whatever.  For the record I don't like things being done without user's knowledge, but I also don't think it makes sense to post something that says they are going to stop functionality that they never intended to work in the first place.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
HawgWyld

[ Edited ]

The solution here seems rather obvious. Want to lock down the Nook Tablet? Fine, but beef up the pathetic excuse for an apps store to which we are all chained with the 1.4.1 update. There have been a number of comments made about how B&N never marketed the ability to sideload apps on the Tablet.

Even if we accept that argument, what is beyond dispute is that B&N had promised to have "thousands" of apps available through the NOOK Apps store by the end of 2011. They've not exactly made good on that promise (the B&N apps store is, indeed, a ghost town compared to even what Amazon.com has available for Fire users) and it's high time the company dedicated some resources to developing the store and making good on that claim. I can still access the Amazon.com apps store through my Nook (although I can't download and install programs until I get motivated enough to resolve the sideloading issue) and its sickening to compare the two stores.

While the Nook Tablet offers better hardware than the Kindle Fire, that doesn't matter one whit when Amazon has established a solid apps store but B&N appears to be mostly playing around with one. It all comes down to apps -- if you're going to market something as a tablet, you'd better have the ecosystem to back it up if you want to chain that tablet to one store. B&N has failed miserably in that regard. Unless the company addresses that issue, it will fail in a toe-to-toe competition against Amazon.

In other words, there is a middle ground here. Why B&N hasn't worked toward a solution that will allow it to lock down the Tablet yet still allow access to the apps people want is baffling. Apple has been amazingly successful with that approach, after all, and that company's model is a good one to emulate. It would be nice to know whether B&N is dedicated to creating an apps store that isn't wretched, but the company has remained largely silent on anything having to do with sideloading, apps, the 1.4.1 update, etc.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

AdamOutler wrote:

The fact of the matter is that they advertised this device as able to "sideload content".   A bit later, sneakily removed the feature at 4AM.  Justification was "it was used by a small minority" of people.   Last time I checked, this device was advertised as a cheap android with sideloading.

The device was able and is still able to sideload content.  Executables are not the same as content, never have been -- and as a developer you should know this.  The ability to sideload .apks was a bug they didn't see (albeit a useful one for some people) and B&N was very clear that they were going to remove it "soon" so while the Nook Tablet was capable of sideloading .apks, it wasn't supported.  They didn't deceive anyone on that score.

Look, I think B&N should have built on the sideloading bug and turned it into a real feature but I don't know what their business calculus was.  However much I may agree that sideloading .apks would be useful, you and others continue to misstate the facts and proliferate distorted rants.  Behavior like that is perhaps a factor in B&N's decision to back away from the self-styled "developer community".

There's a lot of self-inflation on these boards by about one to two dozen very vehement posters with some speaking as if they spoke for entire communities and their actions would drive huge amounts of purchases or returns.  It's pretty arrogant to say "I speak for the entire ______ community."

Let's make the math easy and say there are 20 very vocal detractors here and 19 non-vocal people who think alike for every vocal complainer; 400 disgruntled customers in all.  Let's say every one of those detractors has a following of 49 other people who will slavishly buy or not buy what that "tech expert" thinks.  So that gives us 20,000 disgruntled non-buyers out of ... 500,000 to 1,000,000 devices sold.  Congratulations, you affected 2-4 percent of their market for a loss-leading device (and that's assuming very generous crowd-swell).

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
floridaphil

I'm guessing that you would label me as one of the 'detractors'.

I guess I am - but of B&N's policy, not the hardware itself, which I think is superb.

However, it's been discussed to death now, and there is more than enough information on this board to guide people who are still unhappy.  I will be making no further comments regarding either the bootloader or sideloading.

As my new signature says - if you're not happy, just do yourself and the people who ARE happy a big favor, return it to B&N and get something that doesn't give you a headache.  

There, everyone's happy.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

nookknock wrote:

I have a question for Roustabout, FlyingToaster, and the others that seem to be more on the "anti-sideloading apps on the Nook Tab" side of the debate - and please answer honestly.

Have you ever rooted any of your other devices - from B&N or any other brands - and do you currently have any rooted devices? Or do you believe that a consumer should use every device exactly as the company states in their EULA?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

I'm not against sideloading apps per se, I'm against this entitlement attitude about preserving an exploit that was never an advertised or supported feature and the hyperbole and misstatements of fact.  Some good points in favor of sideloading apps have been raised but there have been far more temper tantrums, distortions and pushing of alternative products (the Amazon forums don't appear to me to be as open to this kind of discussion for some reason ...  :smileytongue:  ).

I have not rooted any of my Android devices, never felt the need to, but I'm not against doing so.  My warranty on my Nook Color expires next month; I may root it or not then -- don't really feel the need to do so but may do it just to play around since the company "support" ends with the warranty period.  The EULA is exactly that -- a user agreement.  The company provides a product with certain conditions that I can agree to -- in which case they support the product -- or I can "misuse" the product and take my chances.  I don't think I have a right to carry on like a five year old if my "misuse" of that product is later closed by a support patch.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Contributor
nookknock

I completely agree that if B&N wants the Nook Tablet locked down so that we may only buy from the B&N app store they should have done more to make that app store more appealing.  We can't purchase content that isnt there or if there is a cool app it is ridiculously over-priced.  It feels like we're being taken advantage of. 

Alot of us have upgraded from the e-reader to the tablet experience because we would like to add cool and useful apps to our "tablet". Maybe as someone said in this forum the problem stems from B&N calling this a "tablet" in the first place (and what people have come to expect from a tablet experience).  At least with Apple, being locked into Apple's App Store is a pretty cool place to be - with exciting new apps being introduced daily.

I for one always planned to purchase B&N books, mags, - thats not the issue.  But to lockdown the tablet to a mere handful of viable apps seems short-sighted.  At least leave the side-loading option open until you have a decent app store to sell your apps.  Will regular every-day consumers be purchasing Angry Birds for $2.99- 3x the price found anywhere else in the app universe - I know I cant afford to do that.  And thats just one example of several over-priced options.

Contributor
nookknock

And from my own personal experience when I first realized that the B&N App Store wasn't all it was made out to be - I felt a little better knowing that sideloading was possible.  I could still enjoy this great device for all the B&N content AND I could get the apps I needed through sideloading.

Contributor
HawgWyld

nookknock wrote:

I completely agree that if B&N wants the Nook Tablet locked down so that we may only buy from the B&N app store they should have done more to make that app store more appealing.  We can't purchase content that isnt there or if there is a cool app it is ridiculously over-priced.  It feels like we're being taken advantage of. 

Alot of us have upgraded from the e-reader to the tablet experience because we would like to add cool and useful apps to our "tablet". Maybe as someone said in this forum the problem stems from B&N calling this a "tablet" in the first place (and what people have come to expect from a tablet experience).  At least with Apple, being locked into Apple's App Store is a pretty cool place to be - with exciting new apps being introduced daily.

I for one always planned to purchase B&N books, mags, - thats not the issue.  But to lockdown the tablet to a mere handful of viable apps seems short-sighted.  At least leave the side-loading option open until you have a decent app store to sell your apps.  Will regular every-day consumers be purchasing Angry Birds for $2.99- 3x the price found anywhere else in the app universe - I know I cant afford to do that.  And thats just one example of several over-priced options.

Just imagine Nook Tablet hardware backed up with an apps store that as good as Amazon's. That would be a killer device (and, indeed, the device I had until sideloading was ruined). B&N can -- and should -- develop a store that's as varied as what Fire customers access natively.

Here's a somewhat related point. You've got a bunch of customers starving for apps, and one of the newest additions to NOOK Apps is that priceline Hotel Negotiator nonsense. That totally kicks the legs out from under any argument suggesting that B&N is focused on quality rather than quantity. One has to wonder how serious the company is about developing a great apps store.

I don't mind paying $2.99 for Angry Birds (bought both that and the Rio version at that price), but the sheer lack of apps available is almost shocking. Come on, B&N. We'll spend our money if you give us something to buy!

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

"one of the newest additions to NOOK Apps is that priceline Hotel Negotiator nonsense"

There was a point over the summer when many/most of the new apps fell into a couple of categories:

- Berenstein Bears apps/stories for kids

- Oprah channel video apps.

I am not arguing that there are enough apps in the BN store now, or that BN is doing what it should be to get them in.

Their strategy on apps has been wrong for a year now.  Rumor has it that it's improving;  I tried re-registering as a dev yesterday (and got farther along than I had in the past, to an actual form that asked me for what ideas, exactly, I was thinking about) and I'll be interested to see if anything moves on that front.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
JMTR

HawgWyld wrote: "Just imagine Nook Tablet hardware backed up with an apps store that as good as Amazon's. That would be a killer device (and, indeed, the device I had until sideloading was ruined)."

That's the device I still have, since my NT is still at 1.4.0. :smileyhappy:

"B&N can -- and should -- develop a store that's as varied as what Fire customers access natively."

At this point, B&N would have to add a minimum of 1,000 new apps per month for the Nook app store to slowly become serviceable. Would I welcome such an improvement? Certainly. Do I see it happening? No. There are only so many different software segments a market can support at any one time. The big two in mobile devices are the iOS app store and the Android Market. Amazon has done well to create a curated app store that's as large as the Kindle Fire store is, yet it's still far behind the uncensored Android Market. HP's WebOS failed. BlackBerry is failing. And now Microsoft is beating the bushes to promote Windows Phone. Where is the room for Nook-specific apps on developers' plates, even assuming B&N were hospitable to them (which I understand it is not)?

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide

Good points, NdN.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Contributor
HawgWyld

JMTR wrote:

HawgWyld wrote: "Just imagine Nook Tablet hardware backed up with an apps store that as good as Amazon's. That would be a killer device (and, indeed, the device I had until sideloading was ruined)."

That's the device I still have, since my NT is still at 1.4.0. :smileyhappy:

"B&N can -- and should -- develop a store that's as varied as what Fire customers access natively."

At this point, B&N would have to add a minimum of 1,000 new apps per month for the Nook app store to slowly become serviceable. Would I welcome such an improvement? Certainly. Do I see it happening? No. There are only so many different software segments a market can support at any one time. The big two in mobile devices are the iOS app store and the Android Market. Amazon has done well to create a curated app store that's as large as the Kindle Fire store is, yet it's still far behind the uncensored Android Market. HP's WebOS failed. BlackBerry is failing. And now Microsoft is beating the bushes to promote Windows Phone. Where is the room for Nook-specific apps on developers' plates, even assuming B&N were hospitable to them (which I understand it is not)?

All too true, and my Nook will be back to 1.4.0 once I get around to it (I wasn't in that much of a hurry as I've got a ton of sideloaded apps, but then Airport Mania 2 started acting screwy under 1.4.1).

At any rate, your points give rise to the notion that B&N be busily painting itself into a corner. If the company is effectively saying "we don't want you to download third-party apps and -- by the way -- we're not going to make major improvements to our apps store," then where's the market for this tablet?

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

JMTR wrote:

At this point, B&N would have to add a minimum of 1,000 new apps per month for the Nook app store to slowly become serviceable. Would I welcome such an improvement? Certainly. Do I see it happening? No. 

Funny you mention that, because in the last month and change BN did add roughly1000 apps to their store.

HawgWyld wrote:

and -- by the way -- we're not going to make major improvements to our apps store," then where's the market for this tablet?

Please point me to where a BN rep said that. BN has been pushing their app store as much as possible - they even announced partnerships with Zygna and Twitter to get their stuff ASAP. They're working on it, they just took a while to get going.