Contributor
Vincent_Vega
0 Kudos

Store 1, Customer Service 0

I've had my NST for about 3 months after trading in my N1E during the $50 giftcard promo. I've been loving it up until the other day.

After charging it, it was frozen with the message that the battery was too low to power on. OK, my charger must have gone bad. I tried another overnight and same thing (although the charge light had gone green). I tried power reset sequence, but nothing.

I called CS and explained my situation. After telling me I probably had a bad cable and then asking me to try powering it off, surprisingly we were no further along. I was was then told I'd have to take my Nook to a B&N store and have them call him to further troubleshoot. He then disconnected the call. I figured I'd call back and see if someone else could help me. Lo and behold, it was the same person. Not in the mood for further aggravation, I thanked him for his time and hung up. I finished reading "Defending Jacob" on my Nook Color.

Off I went to my local B&N the next day. I explained my situation to the lady at the Nook station. She shook her head, said she wasn't going to waste her time or mine, and promptly handed me a brand new NST. She immediately turned a bad experience into a great one. That made my day.

I sure hope we don't lose the brick and mortar stores any time soon.

Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

Re: Store 1, Customer Service 0

Vincent_Vega wrote:

I've had my NST for about 3 months after trading in my N1E during the $50 giftcard promo. I've been loving it up until the other day.

After charging it, it was frozen with the message that the battery was too low to power on. OK, my charger must have gone bad. I tried another overnight and same thing (although the charge light had gone green). I tried power reset sequence, but nothing.

I called CS and explained my situation. After telling me I probably had a bad cable and then asking me to try powering it off, surprisingly we were no further along. I was was then told I'd have to take my Nook to a B&N store and have them call him to further troubleshoot. He then disconnected the call. I figured I'd call back and see if someone else could help me. Lo and behold, it was the same person. Not in the mood for further aggravation, I thanked him for his time and hung up. I finished reading "Defending Jacob" on my Nook Color.

Off I went to my local B&N the next day. I explained my situation to the lady at the Nook station. She shook her head, said she wasn't going to waste her time or mine, and promptly handed me a brand new NST. She immediately turned a bad experience into a great one. That made my day.

I sure hope we don't lose the brick and mortar stores any time soon.

Thanks for the encouraging (to those of us who live near a B&N brick and mortar) experience.  I have found that calling CS is usually less than satisfactory.  If you can get past understanding the rep., you have to suffer the "scripted" solutions which more often than not do not even address your problem, or ignore the fact that you have already tried the scenario.  Of course, nothing is as bad as the old chestnut of Microsoft's CS suggestion to re-install Windows!:smileyfrustrated:

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

Fred011 wrote:
Of course, nothing is as bad as the old chestnut of Microsoft's CS suggestion to re-install Windows!:smileyfrustrated:

Speaking of old Microsoft customer support chestnuts, I can't resist repeating this story:

A pilot is flying a small, single-engine, charter plane with a couple of really important execs on board into Sea-Tac airport. The fog is so thick that the visibility is 40 feet, and his instruments are out. He circles looking for a landmark, and after an hour he is low on fuel and his passengers are very nervous. At last, through a small opening in the fog he sees a tall building with one guy working alone on the fifth floor.

Circling, the pilot banks and shouts through his open window: "Hi, where am I?"

The solitary office worker replies: "You're in an airplane." The pilot then executes a swift 275 degree turn and performs a perfect blind landing on the airport's runway twenty-five miles away. Just as the plane stops, the engines cough and die from lack of fuel. The stunned passengers ask the pilot how he did it.

"Easy," replied the pilot. "I asked the guy in that building a simple question. The answer he gave me was 100% correct but absolutely useless; therefore, that must be Microsoft's support office, and from there the airport is thirteen minutes away on a course of 187 degrees."

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Wordsmith
Fred011
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

Fred011 wrote:
Of course, nothing is as bad as the old chestnut of Microsoft's CS suggestion to re-install Windows!:smileyfrustrated:

Speaking of old Microsoft customer support chestnuts, I can't resist repeating this story:

A pilot is flying a small, single-engine, charter plane with a couple of really important execs on board into Sea-Tac airport. The fog is so thick that the visibility is 40 feet, and his instruments are out. He circles looking for a landmark, and after an hour he is low on fuel and his passengers are very nervous. At last, through a small opening in the fog he sees a tall building with one guy working alone on the fifth floor.

Circling, the pilot banks and shouts through his open window: "Hi, where am I?"

The solitary office worker replies: "You're in an airplane." The pilot then executes a swift 275 degree turn and performs a perfect blind landing on the airport's runway twenty-five miles away. Just as the plane stops, the engines cough and die from lack of fuel. The stunned passengers ask the pilot how he did it.

"Easy," replied the pilot. "I asked the guy in that building a simple question. The answer he gave me was 100% correct but absolutely useless; therefore, that must be Microsoft's support office, and from there the airport is thirteen minutes away on a course of 187 degrees."

"100% correct but absolutely useless"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry!:smileyvery-happy: :smileyembarrassed:

It's funny, but its so true about the value of CS.

Reader
Salty

This is exactly why I am looking into buying a Nook instead of anything else. I like visiting the store. The internet can't totally replace that. But the ease I have had buying books via the nook for pc app has finally pushed me to get a nook.

Loved the plane story by the way.