Frequent Contributor
GameAmour
0 Kudos

Strategy games for Nook Color?

[ Edited ]

Greetings!

We are one of the Nook Apps developers specializing in strategy games (despite the fact we published few arcade and puzzle ones) and would like to know what kind of strategy games you'd like to play on your NookColor? Would you prefer a turn-based/board game or a real-time strategy one? Do you consider networked multiplayer or hot-seat multiplayer an important feature?

We have published a turned based strategy game, Vampires Vs Werewolves (can be played with a friend), and thinking to expand our offering of strategy apps.

We would love to hear your feedback! Thank you!

Game Amour - Nook Apps developer & publisher

Game Amour - Nook Apps developer and publisher

♥ NOOK Apps: Pigs Can Fly, Add-O-Matic, Vampires Vs Werewolves, Reversi Deluxe
Correspondent
seanmw
0 Kudos

Re: Strategy games for Nook Color?

Risk

Hex Empire

:smileyhappy:

Let fly the Jolly Roger if none can be found to sell me red rum >=D!

Note to self: "red rum" backwards spells murder =S...
Is there a message in that? Idk *shrug*
Frequent Contributor
GameAmour

[ Edited ]

Thank you for suggestion! Made a note about turn-based games... :smileywink: Hex Empire is a good one!

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

Would be nice if you could bring back some old turn based strategy games that were origninally board games like Normandy, or Midway to name two.

Contributor
cartooncool

I would love to see a Stratego type of game.

Frequent Contributor
KD67

I would buy a port of Hasbro's RISK for the Nook Color in a heartbeat!!!!   I love this game, hard to find players for the actual board game so I have been playing the PC version for years.   But unfortunately I can no longer play it on my laptop since it has Windows 7 64 bit on it and Risk will not install correctly and run.  Bummer!

Inspired Correspondent
Science_man
0 Kudos

Ditto Risk and Stratego. Also Axis and Allies
Correspondent
seanmw
0 Kudos

Science_man wrote:
Ditto Risk and Stratego. Also Axis and Allies

yeah, and personally i love the version of Risk the have for Xbox360.

The one where the different teams are cats, zombies, humans, robots, and snow yetis :smileyhappy:!

it alsohas options for other maps & stuff with different benefits for completing different kinds of objectiveson them

Let fly the Jolly Roger if none can be found to sell me red rum >=D!

Note to self: "red rum" backwards spells murder =S...
Is there a message in that? Idk *shrug*
Frequent Contributor
GameAmour
0 Kudos

Thank you all for the comments! I see there is some healthy  interest in strategy games here, that's great! We are porting a game to Nook with similar mechanics as Risk, but we may not bring all their features into our apps due to legal issues, as you know, yet we will not dissapoint you :smileywink: ...

Stratego is great also, there is an old chinese game similar to it, used to play back in college.

Frequent Contributor
Loyd

I'd happily pay for a game that lets me play the old Infocom type games. There are hundreds of free "games" for Frotz that works on the iPad and Wiggle for Android but nothing for Nook (I don't want to root my nook). I don't know how much alike the nook2 and Nookcolor are, but from a reader's point of view, those games would work just as well on both platforms. Activision might even be pursuaded to sell their games again although personally, I already have most of the Infocom ones--I just need an app to render them on my Nooks.

Frequent Contributor
GameAmour
0 Kudos

Loyd,

I think you are talking about an emulator to run the console games? Unfortunately, we cannot do that due to the copyright/legal issues... I think Google is actually starting to pull those emulators off the Android Market under the pressure of the copyright owners...

I'm a big fan of old days Infocom fiction games. We have few games inspired (or somewhat inspired) by those oldtimers, and we are planning to bring them to Nook over time.

Frequent Contributor
Catfanatic1979v1
0 Kudos

How about something like Final Fantasy tactics (a strategy rpg ) or Magic the Gathering (a strategic card game) ?????

Frequent Contributor
jwinterDE
0 Kudos

I'll toss in another vote for turn-based strategy, somethng along the lines of Risk or Civilization - hey I can dream can't I? :smileyhappy:

Contributor
JustGrant2009

When you say "An Old Chinese Game similar to stratego" if you mean "Go", PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make an app for it! I know so many people that would love to have Go on nook color.  You could probably even work with the GnuGo project to get a lot of sources for free.

Also, I agree with the idea of turn based RPG games like Final Fantasy Tactics and the like.  Those are always a crowd pleaser for the tablet community.

Thanks!

New User
quenel

I am new to "boards". My suggestion isn't a strategy game necessarily but I would love to be able to play Alchemy (by 'Zed') on my NC. I know it is Android based and my husband plays it on his iPhone. I believe I can do it if I "root" it but I would rather not. So I am submitting it as an idea, but if you or anyone knows if I can get it for me NC please let me know where. Thank you I do not mind paying for it either.

Frequent Contributor
GameAmour
0 Kudos

Thank you all for great comments! We'll be announcing a new game soon, so stay tuned! :smileywink:

@Catfanatic1979,

We have a game featuring gameplay using the action cards on the way.

@jwinterDE,

Some of our games will have the time/resource management mechanics.

@JustGrant2009,

Actually, "An Old Chinese Game similar to stratego" was old chinese game "Dou Shou Qi" translated as "Animal Chess" or "Game of Fighting Animals". Thanks for the other suggestions!

@quenel,

There are quite few games similar to Alchemy in different app stores (like "Doodle God"), they are more of match-3 games than a strategy, but quite fun! I cannot recall if I saw Alchemy in Android market... You probably have to wait for the original author to bring it to Nook Apps, otherwise rooting is the only way...

Frequent Contributor
GameAmour
0 Kudos

We just wanted to mention that one of our apps, Add-O-Matic   is on sale (50% OFF!) for limited time, you can get it for only $0.99 :smileyvery-happy:

Also, looks like B&N is giving a $10 gift certificate to spend on apps if you buy a new NOOKColor, so it's a good timing to make yourself a gift :smileywink:

Contributor
damamabear33
0 Kudos

I would love to see Scrabble for NC! It's my favorite game. It has also made me a better reader. I'm trying harder books because now I have a better vocabulary to understand what is be said. Please work on that fir me. My kids also want NC for Christmas this year. I am willing & able to do so but I don't won't just stupid games added. Id like to see more vocabulary games to build their reading as well as their eye hand coordination.
Distinguished Correspondent
vitaminbillwebb
0 Kudos

I want the Catan and Carcassone apps from the Android Market to be ported over. Anyone know how we can get in touch with those creators?

VBW

Frequent Contributor
GameAmour

@damamabear33

I see a lot of requests for Scrabble. We're evaluating a posibility to make a vocabulary related game.

I think I can refer to one of our apps, Add-O-Matic , as an educational game which helps with math skills, practice eye-hand coordination (fine-motor skills) and reaction, it's a math puzzle/arcade game and it's on sale right now for only $0.99. In fact, I was told, that one of the child therapist is using Add-O-Matic with some kids to practice their fine-motor skills (which is amazing).

@vitaminbillwebb

I think the respective developer can be found when looking at developer profile in Android Market, quite often there is a link to their website.