Contributor
BenderBot
0 Kudos

Stylus for my Nook Color?

I've seen several discussions that mention a stylus. My NC screen seems overly sensative to smudges and prints ( i lot of flickering zoom in / out controls as the NC thinks a finger is on teh screen).

So, two quick questions:

1) Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, anything that can be done?

2) I'm thinking of just getting a stylus for normal use. Any reccomendations?

(Okay that was actually three questions).

Thanks! These boards are extremely helpful!

Distinguished Wordsmith
Josienjoe
0 Kudos

Re: Stylus for my Nook Color?

BenderBot wrote:

I've seen several discussions that mention a stylus. My NC screen seems overly sensative to smudges and prints ( i lot of flickering zoom in / out controls as the NC thinks a finger is on teh screen).

So, two quick questions:

1) Has anyone else noticed this, and if so, anything that can be done?

2) I'm thinking of just getting a stylus for normal use. Any reccomendations?

(Okay that was actually three questions).

Thanks! These boards are extremely helpful!

Check out this thread -

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Stylus/m-p/807044/highlight/true...

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy
0 Kudos

The anti glare screen protector helped with the sensativity issue for me. I purchased a decent stylus. Just could not get used to it. I keep a microfiber cloth in my bag and do the breath on and wipe often. 

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Frequent Contributor
Mack_the_Knife
0 Kudos

at least in my experience, glare screens (you should stay out of the sun anyway! :smileyvery-happy:) and screen protectors always show air bubbles and smudges and detract from the clarity of the display.  if you have a best buy near you, take your NC with you and try the Targus stylus.  i have one and it's great, never touch the screen.  

and regarding the sensitivity  of the device.  like anything else, you get use to its proclivities over time.

♥ Children make you want to start life over
Contributor
sassy1219
0 Kudos

I purchased a capacitive stylus (it has a rubber tip) through daydeal.com. I used to use it with my NOOK, but haven't used it much with my NOOKcolor since I also have the anti-glare protector.

Frequent Contributor
Travst
0 Kudos

I have the Boxwave stylus and highly recommend it.  It works very well and seems quite durable.  Like you, I hate getting fingerprints all over my screen.  The stylus runs about $15.  A bit more than the competition, but read the reviews... it's worth it.

Take my advice... don't take my advice.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Grinchy1
0 Kudos

I went on Amazon after reading this thread and got my last week. I don't use it alot, but I do use it. And I know I will use it when I am out to lunch reading.

www.redbubble.com/people/grinch
Contributor
Jenrae
0 Kudos

Out of curiosity I tried to use the eraser end of a pencil as a stylus on my nook tablet.  It wouldn't do anything.  Any ideas why that wouldn't work?

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Some of the techies will correct me if I've got the terminology wrong, but the NC screen doesn't actually work on touch, as in pressure; but it's what I think is called a capacitive screen.  Here's where I'm a bit shaky on the details, but I think it reponds to the electical impulses in our finger tips.  Something like that. At any rate, the kind of stylus that you can buy that works is able to emulate that, where a pencil eraser cannot.  

Contributor
nightwired
0 Kudos

I received a Nook stylus for Christmas and I like it especially for the keyboard and for tapping near the edge of the screen. But for swiping I still prefer using my index finger. But I am a newbie at this yet and may have a different answer when I have more practice. A good screen protector is still a must IMHO.
Correspondent
Prewittboy
0 Kudos

Try out the ifaraday stylus... they work awesome. it has a soft tip and it isnt hard on your screen. They have a few more new styles out also.

Frequent Contributor
momof3redheads
0 Kudos

I bought the capacitive stylus from Amazon.  I just cant get used to using it.  I have a screen protector on my NookColor and I just keep a touch screen microfiber cloth handy to clean it off.

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

Prewittboy wrote:

Try out the ifaraday stylus... they work awesome. it has a soft tip and it isnt hard on your screen. They have a few more new styles out also.

I heard all kinds of praise for the ifaraday.  I was supposed to get one for Christmas, but they were backordered.  Hopefully the next time I see my parents they will have received it.  I really like using a stylus.  I did get one of the generic ones from eBay.  It worked enough to say it worked...and worked not enough to be annoying and thus discarded.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
cross post
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

I noticed this past week that B&N had added a vara stylus to the NC/NT accessories page.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/vara-stylus/22568776?cm_re=_carousel-_-product9-_-9780594011941_imag...

I went ahead and ordered one because I have trouble typing on my NC and am hoping that it will help. My fingers are so clumsy, I'm always hitting the wrong thing.

Contributor
Dee_in_NY
0 Kudos

Looking for a stylus as well. The fingerprints are driving me nuts now for some reason.  The page jumping is what drives me crazy, that didn't start happening until after the new 1.4 update.

My name is Derina and I am an ebook addict, and I am not affraid to admit it
Reader 4
Alphabear
0 Kudos

So glad that I dropped by to read the forum this afternoon....I didn't know you could use a stylus effectively with our Nook Colors :smileyhappy:.  Guess I will jump on the internet train (Amazon station) and pick up one. Its too easy for me to hit the wrong link on some sites, so this will make my NColor even more enjoyable!!

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

i looked around and found a 15% off coupon for B&N when I ordered the one B&N sells for the NC and NT. WIth my free shipping with my membership, it was 18.01 after sales tax. I don't know how that compares in price, but I feel pretty secure that it will work with my NC or my simple touch. It has a clip on it too so it can be clipped to my cover so I don't lose it.

Contributor
cd2011
0 Kudos

Got a Rocketfish capacitive stylus at Best Buy, on sale for $5, usually around $15... works fine for getting from one place to another, playing sudoku, doing the crossword, turning pages. A bit clunky when swiping, or trying to use it on the internet to choose small icons.

I like it.

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
0 Kudos

Alphabear wrote:

So glad that I dropped by to read the forum this afternoon....I didn't know you could use a stylus effectively with our Nook Colors :smileyhappy:.  Guess I will jump on the internet train (Amazon station) and pick up one. Its too easy for me to hit the wrong link on some sites, so this will make my NColor even more enjoyable!!

Be careful when you buy that stylus from Amazon.  I saw the same pictured set of three from several sellers for under a dollar and no shipping charge.  Plus a different set of three for $4.99.    Just for giggles I ordered the cheap set from five different places plus the $4.99 set.

The first set I received worked fine.  I was pleased.  The second set had the wrong tip and were not capacitive at all.  The third set had two of one kind and one of the other but none of them worked.  Haven't received the other two sets but...  When I got the $4.99 set they were obviously of a better quality and work very nicely.   

I've used Amazon for several years and know it sometimes isn't easy to know which is the best before you order.  Always read the customer ratings and don't forget to leave your own rating.