Contributor
gsearle
0 Kudos

Successful Video on Nook Color

For those looking to upload video to their Nook Color, here is some information.  This is for the original single-core Nook Color for sale in 2011, so it will work on later versions.

I have encoded video with excellent results using this spec:  854x480 1500kbps MPEG-4, AAC 44.1k.  It plays smoothly and the quality is very good, even from a basic class-2 SD card.

However, I have had no luck encoding with H.264 yet, which should be a superior codec.  My screen just goes black with audio playing on a frozen player.  To unfreeze it, I have to plug the Nook into my computer or power it off.  If ever successful, I will update this post.

The software I'm using is Aiseesoft Total Media Converter, but any conversion software should work.  This package can convert directly from DVD, which is very convenient.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Re: Successful Video on Nook Color

gsearle wrote:

However, I have had no luck encoding with H.264 yet, which should be a superior codec.  My screen just goes black with audio playing on a frozen player.  To unfreeze it, I have to plug the Nook into my computer or power it off.  If ever successful, I will update this post.

Is that h.264 in an MPEG-4 video file or h.264 in an .avi video file?

.avi files are not supported, so it its h.264 .avi the problem would be the .avi {... the lack of system support for .avi seems to be a general Android thing, BTW, not a Nook specific thing, though someone on a rooted system could download an avi player app such as QQ Player, Moboplayer or RockPlayer Lite. ...}

If its h.264 in an MP4 file format, that's interesting, since h.264 is supposed to be one of the supported MP4 codecs.

New User
luckyAlyssa
0 Kudos

h.264 codec is really a good balance between qualiy and size, satisfactory video quality and relatively smaller size,  i encoded video with pavtube DVD ripper, choose nook color preset, which use h.264 mp4 format,  the result video is pretty good

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

luckyAlyssa wrote:

h.264 codec is really a good balance between qualiy and size, satisfactory video quality and relatively smaller size,  i encoded video with pavtube DVD ripper, choose nook color preset, which use h.264 mp4 format,  the result video is pretty good

Yes, the preset avoided the pitfalls.

If there isn't a Nook Color preset, than picking an iPod preset and changing the dimensions to 853x480 will also work.