Contributor
Hiberny
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

Forgive my ignorance, but tell me if I understand this correctly.  If I buy the correct card and put it in a Nook Tablet, I can boot into Android without modifying the Nook or breaking the warrentee?  I've seen the N2A card in action on my boss' Nook Color, but was waiting for a solution for the Nook Tablet before purchasing.

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and N2A Cards?

Hiberny wrote:  If I buy the correct card and put it in a Nook Tablet, I can boot into Android without modifying the Nook or breaking the warrenty? 

YUP - works great - have one in my NC since last summer....  never looked back.

The ONLY thing that doesn't work with the Nook app for Android are the special interactive magazines like Time, etc... or any other specially crafted apps/books for the Nook.

Contributor
Hiberny
0 Kudos

I'm a teacher and our school uses a proxy.  Without proxy support, a Nook Tablet is less useful than it could be.  I've been waiting for a N2A solution with my fingers crossed since the NT came out.  

Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice
0 Kudos

Your mention of the school using a proxy brings up another question that the 1.41 upgrade kept me from looking into. Our company uses a Citrix front end to get into the corporate network. I know there are clients for iphone/ipad and Android phones. I don't know anybody who has tried it with an Android tablet, yet. I sideloaded it on the NT and got to the point where it said that the tablet model wasn't registered. Then I gave up since, even if I got a different client, I couldn't install it. Has anybody with an n2a card tried to do anything with Citrix yet, for better or worse?
Contributor
rocky1234
0 Kudos

i contacted n2a and was told that recent updates to 1.4.2 wil not affect the booting sd card for the NT 16 gig - so it will work with out issue :-)

Reader 2
drarkansaw

I have the 16gb NT with a 16gb n2a card and everything works great. Just got the 1.4.2 update with no problems booting from the card at all. The only issue i have found is with the email connecting to an exchange account when running the nook firmware. Love having the option to boot into full android mode with the market and everything else. I still run the nook firmware about half the time for books, etc. But i just like to have the option to use this thing to its potential. I have had a rooted android phone for two years, but just didnt want to root the NT and potentially lose the B&N reading experience. The n2a card gives you the absolute best of both worlds...
Contributor
ErinS8
0 Kudos

Just ordered my N2A card today. I didnt want to bother with rooting an dpossibly bricking my tablet. I cant wait to try it out but am not looking forward to having to reset my tablet to how I like it. I've got things working to where it functions how I need it ie. Kindle and some various other apps. But I need to be able to update apps which I havemt been able to do since sideloading was taken away. Hopefully the n2a card will do the trick.
Contributor
Hiberny
0 Kudos

Please let us know how you like it.  My first choice would have been sideloading, but I think I could settle for N2A.

Inspired Contributor
logdog
0 Kudos

Newbie question here... I don't have any experience with Android.  No smart phone, iPad, etc.  How does a NT running n2a differ from an iPad?  Does n2a include the same apps found on an iPad?  I understand many more apps are available if I install n2a but what other advantages?

Correspondent
ps56k

logdog wrote:

Newbie question here... I don't have any experience with Android.  No smart phone, iPad, etc. 

You are asking a very basic question about computer/tablet systems and user interfaces.  Basically - you are asking how is the Android different from the Apple vs the native Nook mode or even Kindle Fire.

This is the same as asking how is a Microsoft PC different than an Apple Mac vs basic toy comnputer.

Each "world" has their version of apps, and may, or may not - make certain apps available to users.

This totally depends on the "political" nature of the company, and nothing to really do with the hardware.

In general, there are thousands of apps avail - but BN Nook only makes a very few walled garden apps avail - nothing from the mainstream arena, mostly toys & games.

I was looking for all the tools from my financial companies - Chase, Fidelity, Schwab, Vanguard, Morningstar, etc - that are all avail in the normal Android Market for free - NONE are avail from the BN Nook market... since they are "free" and also not a revenue stream for BN -

I went with the N2A card for my Nook Color - have all the useful apps I want - and never looked back.

Contributor
tbl3
0 Kudos

Just received my 32gb N2A.  Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I've updated to 1.42 before even receiving and everything works great.  Everybody needs an N2A card.  Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My Tablet is a whole new world now.

Contributor
Teeupaway
0 Kudos

I've been waiting for mine for over a week.  I think it's lost in the mail!  The tracking # places it leaving Kearney NJ on the 22nd in the morning - scheduled for delivery on the 23rd.  I checked with local post office and they said it still had to go through Stamford, CT or Springfield MA before arriving in my town.   I'll give it one more day - but then have to check with the n2a folks.   I want my card!!!

Contributor
lfeuln
0 Kudos

I finally got mine today - the delivery date was supposed to be Thursday. Not too impressed with the USPS tracking.  But I couldn't be happier with the card itself!  I was lucky not to require a power connection to boot up the card, but even if I had it'd still be worth it.  

I did note YouTube videos had moments of choppiness - not too horrible as the sound didn't cut, but noticeable. That was brought up as an issue on xda so will likely require a future update to fix.  I can go stock for that if need be in the meantime.

Contributor
Hiberny
0 Kudos

Is there an update service with the version of Android on N2A?

Are there any real caveats I should consider?

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Hiberny wrote:

Is there an update service with the version of Android on N2A?

Are there any real caveats I should consider?

I asked N2A about this.  Their reply: "All of our upgrades are provided via a download. Once the download is done you install it to your card and reboot the device. The upgrade will then be automatically installed."  So it appears there is an update process.

Contributor
jcarerra
0 Kudos

Would someone who has been using the n2a card for at least a few days please comment on the speed and 'snappiness' of the whole experience when using an OS running off the card vs. the originalfirmware.

Or, does the OS load into RAM at bootup ?

Frequent Contributor
rovingspinster603
0 Kudos

Hi,  I am really dumb when it comes to this. I have a nook color.  Just got an N2a 16gb card.  Put it in and it started up. Got to the start screen. I managed to get a wi-fi connection (not the one i wanted but it shows wi-fi is on)  I guess I need to register an address on this thing before I can fix the Market.  How do I do that??  I have a google gmail address on my compter. I asume I use that but don't know where to go to do it?? Lets start there okay.  I need every step.  Thanks for the help.

Frequent Contributor
rovingspinster603
0 Kudos

Sorry!!!!  I put this on the Tablet discussion.  Should have been the Color one.

Reader 4
Gigi118
0 Kudos

Can you bounce back and firth between the stock nook and the card..? Where do you get this card? What are the advantages?
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

jcarerra wrote:

Would someone who has been using the n2a card for at least a few days please comment on the speed and 'snappiness' of the whole experience when using an OS running off the card vs. the originalfirmware.

Or, does the OS load into RAM at bootup ?

On most computer systems, the OS resides on non-volatile memory, such as a hard disk drive, then is loaded into RAM at boot-up time.  So-called "live" distributions of Linux, such as Knoppix, are an exception.  An operating system that runs from a slower form of mass memory is significantly slower in operation.  Live linux distros can run from CD, DVD, or USB memory sticks.  The performance is not too thrilling, though.  I don't think we would find a NOOK Tablet very useful if the OS was running from the SD card.