Reply
Distinguished Correspondent
EllenKeiff
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎06-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?


PJLLB wrote:

I just received my N2A 32GB card and I'm impressed.  I placed it in my Nook Tablet, powered up, and within 40 seconds I was off and running in Android.  Everything works well -- Android Market, Amazon Market, and Nook (for books but no apps).  About the only thing I don't like is that at power up, it always boots into Android (assuming the microsSD card is installed), and to get to the Nook OS you do a reboot and you're back in Nook land.  It would be nice if, at power up, you were given the choice of N2A Android or Nook. Otherwise, so far so good.  Now I can keep WiFi on while in Android and browse the web, buy apps, etc. without fear of being upgraded by B&N.  Any questions?


I have a question.  I have sideloaded quite a few books onto my tablet and movies.  The SD card I have now is 16gb, so if I was to invest in a 32gb card, would it be able to hold "my stuff"?  I'm very interested but just a little confused about how this works size wise for my tablet and how it would affect my sideloaded books.  I plan on going to have it repartitioned on 3/12 at a store so I think the partition will be like 8 gb mystuff/5 gb barnes & noble stuff.  Thanks for any help!

Wordsmith
PJLLB
Posts: 301
Registered: ‎12-27-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

[ Edited ]

EllenKeiff wrote:
I have a question.  I have sideloaded quite a few books onto my tablet and movies.  The SD card I have now is 16gb, so if I was to invest in a 32gb card, would it be able to hold "my stuff"?  I'm very interested but just a little confused about how this works size wise for my tablet and how it would affect my sideloaded books.  I plan on going to have it repartitioned on 3/12 at a store so I think the partition will be like 8 gb mystuff/5 gb barnes & noble stuff.  Thanks for any help!

A 32gb card has approximately 28gb free space.  Your side-loaded apps are on the Nook partition, so when you boot into the Android N2A side (which is what boots first; to switch back to the Nook operating system you do a reboot), you can't see the sideloaded apps.  But this isn't a problem -- you just reload them onto the N2A side.  This is what I did.  I had a number of sideloaded apps, mostly from the Amazon app store.  For the Amazon apps, I just loaded the Amazon app store app when in the N2A android boot.  Then I downloaded and installed all of the Amazon apps and installed them on there.  (The Amazon app store sees this as a second device on your account, keeping the prior NT device there too.)  For other apps, I found the sideloaded apk files on the Nook side, copied them to the N2A side, and reloaded them there.

Think of it this way:  When booted on the N2A Android side, it's a virtual machine that runs standalone from the Nook side, and the Nook side runs stand alone when booted to it.  When you're in N2A and connect to your PC, you can see the Nook native partition and the N2A partition, and copy between them as necessary.

Did this explain it for you?

Distinguished Correspondent
EllenKeiff
Posts: 129
Registered: ‎06-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

Yes!  I'm definitely going to invest in a 16gb because w/the in store repartition I will have 21 free :smileyhappy:

 

Thank you for the prompt reply.  Much appreciated.

Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice
Posts: 122
Registered: ‎11-20-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

Maybe if you already had a login you might be OK, but if you need to create a login on the n2a forum, a purchase invoice number is a required field. I checked. They said that access to the forum would be possible, but it "wouldn't be free". I sympathize with their spam problem, but that's not good customer service for a prospective customer who was ready to place an order after a bit more research. Suggesting that I post questions on the CM7 forum didn't impress me either. They're lucky their customer referrals are good. I might just follow Dean's ans others' advice and wait for XDA.
Contributor
jcarerra
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎02-23-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

Reisnice, did you not see my post a few back providing a link to a CM7 downloadable image to burn onto a microSD card -- thus making your own n2a card? 

 

The site's page shows you the image location, a burning program, and a repartitioning program to extend the user storage partition on the card out to the full card size.  It was not hard at all if you are a little bit familiar with computers.

 

Administrative question:  I see lots of people with quotes of previous posts between two lines.  I do not see a 'quote' function or button on posts.  How do you do that?

Contributor
seathrupbp
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎12-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

When I purchased my n2a card, I asked n2acards about the consequences of having the NT repartitioned while using the card. They provided instructions for having that done. http://www.n2acards.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=1729

Contributor
jcarerra
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎02-23-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

PJLLB, I did try to get ADW paid version which has icon size in it, but market said "not compatible with your phone."  That is wrong because it uses ADW launcher!   Had to be some kind of data in bbuild.prop making Play (that sounds so wrong) reject it.

 

I will try to get Go Launcher EX to solve the size issue, but I hate changing--have ADW on my phone too, so am very comfortable with it.

Contributor
jcarerra
Posts: 9
Registered: ‎02-23-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

[ Edited ]

Just realized what the problem has to be...I registered this with a different Google account address.  It has never been linked to a creditcard number, so I can't possibly buy anything.

 

You would think they would tell you that instead of "device not compatible," which is a lie.

 

LATER:  Awful.  Tried to add the account that IS tied to the market on my phone.  Done.  BUT, Nook CM7 won't let me remove the account that is not working with the market without doing a full reset to factory defaults--because that account is linked to some applications, (market, no doubt, maybe others).  Arghhh...why is is always so hard.

Inspired Correspondent
spider731
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

I was just curious if n2a is bluetooth compatible, specifically a bluetooth keyboard? Anyone have any experience with this? That would be so sweet!

 

Wordsmith
TnTexas
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎10-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

jcarrera: Administrative question:  I see lots of people with quotes of previous posts between two lines.  I do not see a 'quote' function or button on posts.  How do you do that?

 

I manually add them to the beginning of my posts.

Inspired Correspondent
spider731
Posts: 82
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?


spider731 wrote:

I was just curious if n2a is bluetooth compatible, specifically a bluetooth keyboard? Anyone have any experience with this? That would be so sweet!

 


 

Actually just found my answer:

 

The Nook Color has working Bluetooth capability, the Nook Tablet has not yet been configured to run Bluetooth yet, but that is something that is being worked on.

 




Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
Posts: 184
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?


jcarerra wrote:
 

Administrative question:  I see lots of people with quotes of previous posts between two lines.  I do not see a 'quote' function or button on posts.  How do you do that?


If you hit "reply" on someones comment, it takes you to the Post Message page and there is a "quote" button on that page.  Hitting that button will quote the entire message from the comment that you originally hit the Reply button on....

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Contributor
johnson01
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

I have had the N2A card since it was released and I love it.  I have recommended it to a couple of friends and they are as sold on it as I am.  I don't normally jump for the brand new stuff right off but N2A had such a good rep I decided to go ahead and get it.  Now my tablet is everything I want it to be and more than I thought it could be.  I didn't want a larger tablet because my main purpose in getting the NT was to be able read comfortably in bed at night and the NT is perfect.  I found out tho that I did want some of the other apps that were only available for Android devices.  So, after doing a little research I stumbled across the N2A site.  If you don't have the card but you want the extra functionality of a NT I say go for it.  If you are on the fence about it go ahead and fall on over to their side.  You wont' regret it.

 

Inspired Contributor
logdog
Posts: 52
Registered: ‎08-30-2010

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?


johnson01 wrote:

I have had the N2A card since it was released and I love it.  I have recommended it to a couple of friends and they are as sold on it as I am.  I don't normally jump for the brand new stuff right off but N2A had such a good rep I decided to go ahead and get it.  Now my tablet is everything I want it to be and more than I thought it could be.  I didn't want a larger tablet because my main purpose in getting the NT was to be able read comfortably in bed at night and the NT is perfect.  I found out tho that I did want some of the other apps that were only available for Android devices.  So, after doing a little research I stumbled across the N2A site.  If you don't have the card but you want the extra functionality of a NT I say go for it.  If you are on the fence about it go ahead and fall on over to their side.  You wont' regret it.

 


I agree with you 100%.  I've only had the card for a week and I am amazed at what my tablet can do.  I was frustrated by the lack of apps that B&N provided, the broken email client, poor in store support, not being able to down load library books directly to the Nook, etc.  Now I love enerything about this tablet.  I don't even bother to reboot to the stock Nook because the default N2A has everything I want.  I can read Nook books, Kindle books and library books off the card.  All the free apps are amazing on this tablet.

 

By the way, I really recommend the GasBuddy app and the K9 email app, all free.

Contributor
lfeuln
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎02-23-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

I felt I should update. While I initially purchased an N2A card and was happy with it, when I saw the xda SD card image was released (follow jcarerra's link) I gave it a try on another microSD since it was a more updated version.  I would absolutely recommend going this route if you're at all comfortable with computers as it has a major video playback fix.  I can watch any YouTube vid via the app without a hitch now and streaming video is generally much better.  Plus you're only paying for the microSD card. I'll admit I had difficulty with the Mac terminal instructions so I ended up using my Windows netbook. The image writer program was easy to use, just make sure you extract the .img file from zip first.

 

It's not for everyone, but worth at least trying first before shelling out for the N2A.

Contributor
johnson01
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎12-21-2011

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

Ignorance is simply a lack of knowledge..................therefore it is not a bad thing.  Actually, it's the folks that think they know it all that are the most aggravating to those of us who actually do....  :smileyhappy:   I was probably more ignorant about all of this stuff than you.  I am very reluctant to jump on any new bandwagons when it comes to this newfangled stuff.  I did some checking on the N2A cards that were already available and was hard pressed to find anything negative about them.  So I decided to go ahead and give it a try.  I ordered one for my NT as soon as they became available and I'm truly sold on it.  It allows you to use your NT as it was purchased or as a fully functioning Android tablet with access to the Amazon App store.   Another super plus about it is that it does not void your warranty, a good thing since I went ahead and bought an extended one.  I took my NT to the brick and mortar store today and had them repartition the memory.  Now, I have 8 gigs available for my own content instead of the 1gb that it came with.  Took them about 20 mins to do it.  Hope this helps.  My best to you.

 

Contributor
Teeupaway
Posts: 17
Registered: ‎03-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

   I've been a very happy user of my new n2a card for a couple weeks, and I'd like to get my tablet partitioned now.  However, prior to 1.4.2, I had downloaded Go Launcher EX, and Button Savior, plus  apps from Amazon.  (Most I hadn't installed, but they show up in my apps, and I can't install them when booted up in Nook side).

   Have I voided my warranty?  How can I get rid of Go Launcher and Button Savior (I certainly don't need them now), if I can't take it in to BN as is?  I don't know how closely they check out the tablet before the repartition?

   Should I 'erase and deregister?'  Then do I just end up with a brand new looking tablet?  Isn't that what I end up with after repartitioning anyway?  (Sorry if I've missed any posts on this subject, and I'm just repeating...)

   Thanks to all you experts out there!  Reading this board on a regular basis has just added to my knowledge and enjoyment of my tablet.

   And I LOVE the n2a card!!  So-o-o easy!

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
Posts: 184
Registered: ‎12-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?


Teeupaway wrote:

   I've been a very happy user of my new n2a card for a couple weeks, and I'd like to get my tablet partitioned now.  However, prior to 1.4.2, I had downloaded Go Launcher EX, and Button Savior, plus  apps from Amazon.  (Most I hadn't installed, but they show up in my apps, and I can't install them when booted up in Nook side).

   Have I voided my warranty?  How can I get rid of Go Launcher and Button Savior (I certainly don't need them now), if I can't take it in to BN as is?  I don't know how closely they check out the tablet before the repartition?

   Should I 'erase and deregister?'  Then do I just end up with a brand new looking tablet?  Isn't that what I end up with after repartitioning anyway?  (Sorry if I've missed any posts on this subject, and I'm just repeating...)

   Thanks to all you experts out there!  Reading this board on a regular basis has just added to my knowledge and enjoyment of my tablet.

   And I LOVE the n2a card!!  So-o-o easy!


I have non B&N apps loaded on my tablet (as I think a lot of people do).  Previous versions of the NT software allowed sideloading of other apps.  From what I understand, when they repartition it, it's going to wipe out all those apps anyway and you'll have to reload them again if they're installed on the nook memory itself and not the sd card.  I would definately remove the n2a card before you go in to get it repartitioned though.  As for the warranty, I don't think you would void it by loading a few non B&N apps on it, but I haven't actually read through the warrenty information so I can't comment with any great certainty on that.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
Posts: 802
Registered: ‎11-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?


Czechboy wrote:
I have non B&N apps loaded on my tablet (as I think a lot of people do).  Previous versions of the NT software allowed sideloading of other apps. ... As for the warranty, I don't think you would void it by loading a few non B&N apps on it, but I haven't actually read through the warrenty information so I can't comment with any great certainty on that.


The relevant phrase is probably "ordinary consumer use": "Subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, Barnes & Noble, Inc. ("B&N") warrants to the original retail purchaser only ("you") that your NOOK will be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal consumer use for a period of one (1) year from the date of original retail purchase (the "Warranty Period")."

 

Changing an available setting to allow downloading third party apps seems likely to be ordinary consumer use. Rooting the NT is almost certainly not. So if its rooted, its safest to back it up and then return it to stock before returning it for warranty repair.

Contributor
johnson01
Posts: 14
Registered: ‎12-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet and n2a Cards?

When they do the partioning they do by putting in an SD card.  All of the programming is on the card so you would have to remove the card you have in it now.   As for the other programs, you can take a chance on them going ahead and doing the job or you can just deregister as that is what will occur when they do the repartitioning.  Either way you will lost the any non BN content.