Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Re: Tablet being discontinued?

deesy58 wrote:

Tell me what it is about the NT that convinces you that it had reached the end of its product life cycle less than a year after its introduction.

Given that I proposed keeping the basic NT design around for another year, at least, either by settling on the NT8G and being as aggressive as possible on price, or by freshening up the NT to better fit the new product line and price matching Amazon ... it follows that I do not believe that the NT has reached the end of its product life. Just the strategy of having two distinct versions of the NT.

Its not B&N that pushed the NT capabilities out of contention in the $200 price point, it was the Kindle Fire 2 and the Google Nexus. B&N did not and does not have a choice between continuing to compete at that price point with the NT or competing at that price point with the Nook HD. It was introduce something along the lines of the Nook HD, or else abandon that price point entirely.

Even had B&N conceded the $200 price point, 3 SKU's was still too many sitting between the $200 price point and a $120 Nook ST Glow price point. They could have phased out the NC, kept the NT8GB as it was, aiming at around $140 and maybe freshened up the NT16GB, perhaps with Blu-Tooth and HDMI out, aiming at around $170, but that's still a bit crowded. I think that Amazon made the right marketing call there, with a single freshened up first generation Kindle Fire at $160 w/ads, more w/out ads, and the second generation Kindle Fire at $200.

Recall that the Nook Color was a bit of an underground hit because while it was envisioned for one view of a color reader, the result was more generally useful not yet available in the neighborhood of that price point. Like a lot of devices that stumble into a broader niche than originally intended, it had limitations and rough corners that some people put up with because of the limited alternatives in something like a 7" media tablet near that price.

The market did not sit still, and while the Nook Tablet 16Gb at $250 addressed many of the limitations of the Nook Color, it was the Kindle Fire at $200 with lower specs but a much richer ecosystem that was the much bigger hit of that Christmas season.

As an ebook / magazine / comics / manga reader, the NT is heavier than it should be, and has a lower screen resolution than it should have, but it has a card slot which gives it a shot at an advantage in the "want it to be useful if WiFi is not always available" market niche. The partitioned filesystem implied by 2.3 has been awkward since the outset, and for the "want it to be useful if WiFi is not always available" market niche, access control when its handed to a kid is underdone and the single account paradigm of the 2.3's cellphone heritage is awkward. It also lacks Blu-Tooth, which has emerged as the normal way to add keyboards and external speakers to tablets without the inconvenience of wires, and lacks an HDMI-out option, which is a strong appeal to a certain segment of the streaming/download video media market.

B&N chasing the "want it to be useful if WiFi is not always available" market niche may be a strategy of last resort, driven by the strategy of the market leader Amazon, but it seems to be the open shot that B&N has, so they may as well take it, hence Nook Video and an ownership/rental catalog stored in the cloud but downloadable onto the device ~ just as presently possible with the fairly rickety combination of a Flixster app on an unrooted NT, synced to Ultraviolet, and a Vudu account synced to the same Ultraviolet account.

The Nook HD is lighter, better resolution for magazines/comics/manga in the 7" form factor, better resolution for selling HD movies rather than SD movies, fixes the power plug shorting out problem, adds Blu-Tooth, adds HDMI out. It is a 4.x system, which seems to somehow mitigate/resolve the partitioning awkwardness of 2.3, and has the most family friendly shell on the market.

It doesn't have several of the glaring weaknesses or niggling annoyances of the NT for a role as a media tablet, and so in terms of the vision of sticking to a hardware design, focusing on software improvements, and driving down toward the $100 price point, I think the Nook HD is better suited to that strategy than the NT would have been.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

That's a good point. In the long term Nook HD seems more suitable than Nook Tablet.

What do you think of the fact that Nook Tablet could have been $150 while Nook HD has to be $199?

I think that's a big factor. That perhaps B&N underestimated the importance of having a 'cheap' great reading tablet.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

That's a good point. In the long term Nook HD seems more suitable than Nook Tablet.

What do you think of the fact that Nook Tablet could have been $150 while Nook HD has to be $199?

I think that's a big factor. That perhaps B&N underestimated the importance of having a 'cheap' great reading tablet.

That's the strongest argument for having the budget price point media table being the existing NT8Gb ~ it could be priced more aggressively than a reworked version, without ads and underneath the Amazon polished up first gen Kindle Fire at $160 w/ads.

Reader
bob5958
0 Kudos

I realize that technology changes and nothing is forever, but I've purchased almost 100 books for my Nook, I like the format but am reluctant to purchase additional books given all of the rumors.

There will come a point when my NOOK no longer works and although I've tried,  reading on my iPad or PC just isn't comfortable or easy. A smaller footprint e-reader is certainly appealing to me.

How likely is it that if the NOOK is discontinued, some similar device will appear that will allow me to continue reading and purchasing Barnes & Noble Books?

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

bob5958 wrote:

I realize that technology changes and nothing is forever, but I've purchased almost 100 books for my Nook, I like the format but am reluctant to purchase additional books given all of the rumors.

There will come a point when my NOOK no longer works and although I've tried,  reading on my iPad or PC just isn't comfortable or easy. A smaller footprint e-reader is certainly appealing to me.

How likely is it that if the NOOK is discontinued, some similar device will appear that will allow me to continue reading and purchasing Barnes & Noble Books?

My guess would be that it is almost certain.  There are already B&N apps for just about every type of tablet, laptop and desktop.  Since you don't like those I'm assuming that you use an NST, or maybe even an old N1E.  There's a quite large hardcore base of e-ink users who love the format, and I can't imagine that we'll be left without an option.  If B&N stops manufacturing them then someone will step in to fill the gap, whether it's Kobo, Sony or even (<shudder>) Amazon.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

bob5958 wrote:

1.  I think it's unlikely the Nook will be discontinued any time in the near future despite the wishful thinking of Microsoft proponents and Amazon shills throughout the forum.

2.  You will almost certainly be able to access the content your have bought and will buy in the future.  There are plenty of other ereaders that understand EPUB as well as programs available on Android, Mac OS X and Windows platforms.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
keriflur

MacMcK1957 wrote:
If B&N stops manufacturing them then someone will step in to fill the gap, whether it's Kobo, Sony or even (<shudder>) Amazon.

Well, since all three of these companies are currently making both tablets and eink devices, there won't be a gap to fill, folks will just move over to the next best device for them.

For me, I'm just waiting to see what B&N is going to do next, and I'm ready to buy a new NST should they announce they're discontinuing them.  Devices purchased now will likely last for at least a few years, if not longer (my N1E is 3.5 years old and still going strong), so if I pick up a new device this year, I probably won't actually *need* another new device until 2016 or later.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I'll second that. There will definitely be some company that will fill the demand for eInk based readers.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

bob5958: I realize that technology changes and nothing is forever, but I've purchased almost 100 books for my Nook, I like the format but am reluctant to purchase additional books given all of the rumors.

There will come a point when my NOOK no longer works and although I've tried,  reading on my iPad or PC just isn't comfortable or easy. A smaller footprint e-reader is certainly appealing to me.

How likely is it that if the NOOK is discontinued, some similar device will appear that will allow me to continue reading and purchasing Barnes & Noble Books?

Do you find the difficult to read on them because of their size or because of the type of screens they use? I ask because I find it difficult to read on my Nook HD+ but I have no problem whatsoever on my Nook Tablet. For me the type of screen is no problem, it's the size of the device that makes a difference.

Anyway, if it's the size that bothers you, there are other 7" tablets/media tablets out there that you can easily read your B&N Nook books on by using the B&N reading app so you don't have to worry about losing access to your books.. Four decent ones that I know of are Google's Nexus 7, Samsung's 7" Galaxy Tab, and Amazon's Fire and Fire HDs. I wouldn't be surprised if more are developed over time.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

Slightly off topic here but:

If B&N were to go out of business, what obligations do the publishers have to make our purchased eBooks available to us.

Especially if they were sold using the Agency Model, where the publisher is the seller, would the publisher be obligated to provide our eBook in a format that could be read on another device?

If any of the legal experts on the board would care to provide an opinion I would be curious to know the answer.

Mercury_Glitch

Given other examples where ebooks are suddenly no longer available, and neither B&N nor the publisher have been able to do anything, I have to imagine the answer is that they've got little obligation to resolve that issue.

This is why forum regulars always suggest backing up your purchases.  You can do this by downloading them via the free Nook for PC/Mac app.  Or for the slightly more ambitious there are methods, that do not involve rooting, to enable your NST/G (maybe the other Nooks, I didn't really look) to download B&N purchases to the SD card instead of the internal hidden partition. 

Should both B&N and Nook disappear you can take those ebooks and run them through Adobe Digital Editions and that should flag them as readable for you on any ereader that supports ADE. 

Should B&N/Nook disappear tomorrow, I doubt it, I would think the Kobo Glo or the Kobo Aura would be the best replacements.  Both support epub and the aforementioned ADE.  Sony doesn't seem to care about ereaders anymore so while CS at Kobo hasn't been five star, it may be better than the support you would get from Sony.  There's also the KPW of course, but that means converting any of your ebooks which gets in to legal issues.  Or repurchasing any ebooks you want through Amazon. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

Mercury_Glitch wrote:
Or repurchasing any ebooks you want through Amazon. 

Repurchasing my 400 ebooks at about $10 each = $4000.  If I find I have to go KPW (or whatever they call the future iteration), I suspect I won't feel terribly guilty about stripping DRM for personal use.

keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yanno, if Amazon were smart they'd figure out a way to offer a one-time conversion or replacement for a new kindle customer's ebook library.  That way they could make it easier to switch, and then lock you into their walled garden on the other side.

MacMcK1957

keriflur wrote:

For me, I'm just waiting to see what B&N is going to do next, and I'm ready to buy a new NST should they announce they're discontinuing them.  Devices purchased now will likely last for at least a few years, if not longer (my N1E is 3.5 years old and still going strong), so if I pick up a new device this year, I probably won't actually *need* another new device until 2016 or later.

Me, too.  Despite one or two frustrating quirks (shelving), overall I really like my NST, so I would have no problem stashing one or two aside.  If I have to buy later books from another source like Google and sideload through ADE, so be it.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

bob5958 wrote:

At least for formats that are compatible (and therefore downloadable) with the Nook PC app, its already certain, since similar devices already exist.

You can read Nook books on a Nexus7, or an under $100 Cheap Chinese tablet from ebay (with horrible battery life), or a phablet, or a Kobo tablet, using either the Android Nook app or using 3rd party readers that support the B&N DRM system. Since the DRM is a public key / private key system that is based on entering your credit card details, its not going to stop being usable even if Nook media were to go belly-up.

The only concern would be if you had something that was only available on the Nook cloud, but as long as you have the file in available storage somewhere ~ such as the file folder used by the Nook PC app ~ access to the books is not going anywhere just because you ran over your Nook with a car after the Nook line has gone EOL.

New User
Lovestoread40
0 Kudos

Well, before they mark this as "resolved" I'd like to say I want to buy the color tablet for $129.00.  I don't care if they keep making them I just want to make sure I can keep buying books for them, buying movies and apps for them.  So going by this thread I would be safe to buy one?  I don't want to waste my money but I played with one today and it seemed to have everything I need and I have a first generation now that works fine still.

Mercury_Glitch

If you played with one in a B&N it was a HD not a NC/NT. The HDs are on sale currently and worth the price.
The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.