Contributor
Rxtech06
0 Kudos

Tablet being discontinued?

I've read in an existing post that the NT will be discontinued, with no futher updates. Possibly no more development in apps, etc. I have searched for information that may be more concrete, but have come up empty handed. Can anyone give a confirmation on this? I'm really upset to hear this news. I feel as if I have been robbed. I spend many hours a day on my tablet and therefore spend a considerable amount of money.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: Tablet being discontinued?

[ Edited ]

1) B&N is going to stop making more Nook Tablets.

That doesn't mean everything you write. Let me try and address what it might mean.

What it definitely means:

a) After existing stock of Nook Tablets sells out, there will be no more Nook Tablets available.

b) That at some point in the future B&N will stop doing software updates for Nook Tablets. Not sure when. There may very well be updates for some time.

c) That %age of Nook Tablets will start becoming a smaller %age of all Nooks.

What it does not mean:

a) That your Nook Tablet will stop working.

b) That app developers will stop making apps for Tablet. Tablets and Colors greatly outnumber HD and HD+ and that scenario might continue for a year or more.

c) All the money you have spent is wasted.

I don't understand this. You can read your books on any Nook Reader App on any platform (almost). You can get a Color or Tablet or HD or HD+ to play games.

If you get movies there are going to be Nook Videos apps for different platforms to watch them.

If you let us know exactly what your concerns are perhaps forums members can tell you which are unfounded and which are valid.

Also, from a personal perspective, I think it's a very short sighted decision.

Nook Color and Nook Tablet were well-tested and wuld have been absolutely SUPER as $125 and $150 Reading Tablets. They would do really, really well.

B&N discontinuing them is a very, very strange decision.

This is exacerbated by how many bugs there are in HD and HD+. And the $325 iPad Mini. Whereas the $125 Nook Color and $150 Nook Tablet would have definitely prospered and increased B&N's market share, the HD and HD+ might not.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

This is hardly a new practice when it comes to technology.  The Nooks can be broken down in to two basic lines.  The eInk line and the tablet line. 

The eInk line is the NST and the NSTG.  They have a clear and obvious difference.  The built in light, the built in screen protector, and the power brick being included in the package. 

The tablet line was getting crowded by comparison.  It had the NC, NT, HD, HD+.  The NC vs the NT is hardware, the software features were essentially the same.  While that hardware difference is noticable, it becomes less so the more devices you add because your price points become closer and closer.  The HD and HD+ are a hardware and software upgrade over the NC/NT. 

Trimming down the tablet line to be comparabel to the eInk line makes things easier for the consumer.  And trust me, having watched people look at the NST, the NSTG, the NC, the NT, the HD, and the HD+ and go back and forth on all of them the phrase 'less is more' shines big and bright.

I could see holding on to the NT, since we'll likely see a new eInk device this spring.  Leaving the two lines at three devices each could have been a better choice.  It would also extend the NC accessories through the NT and give the NC users a little longer before the accessories are gone. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
Rxtech06
0 Kudos

I really appreciate the clarification. Maybe my post came off stronger than I meant. I was really taken off guard when I heard. I have severed ligamints in my wrists and there are only a handful of things I can do without great pain or causing further damage. This is why my tablet is so important to me. If you see me awake, you also see my tablet. Maybe this will explain how important the NT is to me. I know that technology is constantly evolving. I started out with a NC and then moved up to the NT. I don't want to buy another nook so soon. Now that I know the NT wont just be forgotten, I feel better. A small part of why I started this post was to seperate fact from rumor for myself and others as well. B&N needs to see in print exactly how people feel.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the clarifications for the person who wrote about the store and the decision process.

Rxtech06,

Yes, it's great that you shared and let B&N know how you feel.

As an app developer, I feel B&N needed to keep a lower priced Tablet to compete with Android Tablets and Kindle Fire.

It's a very strange decision.

We will continue to support Nook Tablet with our new apps (hopefully for as long as we make new Nook Apps).

Contributor
Rxtech06
0 Kudos

How do I mark this post as resolved?
Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

I think that Alex, the forum's moderator, does it.

Lector GS
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

As an app developer, I feel B&N needed to keep a lower priced Tablet to compete with Android Tablets and Kindle Fire.

It's a very strange decision. 

Though the NT is actually two devices. The ideal lower priced tablet for B&N's line would be a 1Mb RAM / 8Gb flash version of the Nook Tablet, which avoids topping the Nook HD anywhere on the spec sheet.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, agreed on that. Just make it crystal clear the NT 8 GB is the lower priced Tablet and HD is higher end.

But that lower end Nook Tablet is there.

I've had the pleasure to chat with a LOT of Nook Color owners over the last 10 days and most LOVE the Nook Color.

Color and Tablet are both stable and well tested and now economies of scale can kick in. Makes no sense whatsoever to discontinue them.

Frequent Contributor
sailspirit

This is disappointing news. The NT is good for reading (although not as many ebooks available unless you pay full price via B&N), quick email, & basic web (weak wifi sensor). It is easy to hold & great design. I want to see B&N survive in all products, yet reality there will probably be few choices in a year or so. We have our PC's, one SMART phone, B&N ereader, NT & iPAD. Too many devices & the ereader is probably the simplest / problem free; does one thing & one thing well. Hum, this may explain alot!
Wordsmith
BruceMcF

5ivedom wrote:

Color and Tablet are both stable and well tested and now economies of scale can kick in. Makes no sense whatsoever to discontinue them.

But three SKU's is overkill for what is really one spot in the product line / price point spectrum for a color, sub-HD media tablet. And the other advantage of replacing those three with a new SKU is they can go to the new HD connector, leave the extended-micro-USB cable problems behind, and only carry one data/power cable in store for new devices.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

BruceMcF wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

But three SKU's is overkill for what is really one spot in the product line / price point spectrum for a color, sub-HD media tablet. And the other advantage of replacing those three with a new SKU is they can go to the new HD connector, leave the extended-micro-USB cable problems behind, and only carry one data/power cable in store for new devices.

Companies that make the mistake of impacting their own product lines usually don't remain in the business. 

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

Companies that make the mistake of impacting their own product lines usually don't remain in the business. 

Well, then, B&N should not "impact their own product lines".

However, they definitely should have a media tablet in competition with the $160-$180 version (with/without ads) of the Kindle Fire.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

BruceMcF wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

However, they definitely should have a media tablet in competition with the $160-$180 version (with/without ads) of the Kindle Fire.

If it is true that "... three SKU's is overkill for what is really one spot in the product line ...", then that is an example of impacting their own product line, isn't it?  No company should impact their own product line.  I am not familiar with the HD and HD+ so I'm also not familiar with how they affect the NT.  The NT, one if which I own, was available for less than a year before the new products were introduced.  Why should consumers ever purchase the latest technology from B&N if they believe that the next model will become available within a few months?  Why, for example, might we not believe that a new model will be available in March or April, and the HD models will also become obsolete?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

BruceMcF wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

If it is true that "... three SKU's is overkill for what is really one spot in the product line ...", then that is an example of impacting their own product line, isn't it?  No company should impact their own product line.  I am not familiar with the HD and HD+ so I'm also not familiar with how they affect the NT.  The NT, one if which I own, was available for less than a year before the new products were introduced.  Why should consumers ever purchase the latest technology from B&N if they believe that the next model will become available within a few months?  Why, for example, might we not believe that a new model will be available in March or April, and the HD models will also become obsolete?

Apple did it with it iPhone 5, B&N did it with the HD but you can still use a N1E cable on a NSTG just fine. 

The benefit of the cable change is that it's supposedly constructed better than the usb cables of the NC/NT, it allows for streaming to TVs/Monitors with an HDMI port (most modern ones have this), and I believe it allows for faster transfer from your computer to the Nook.

The Nook HD was also introduced right around the time the NT was introduced last year.  The NSTG was released about a year after the NST.  The NT was released about a year after the NC.  Technology doesn't stand still, and while B&N discontinued manufacturing the NC/NT it's not like they stopped supporting them.  A NC/NT is old, you don't need the company to tell you that, especially with the two+ year old NC.

People buy electronics when they need/want them, knowing that a better model is likely to be out the next year. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Bruce, I get your point.

3 SKUs is overkill.

B&N is in a bit of a tight spot.

There is another direction they could have gone in i.e.

Focus on Nook Color at $125 and Nook Tablet at $150 and let book and video sales account for profits.

HD and HD+  are very good hardware. However, it puts B&N in competition with too many people. Android Tablet Space is so crowded now. Vizio, Polaroid, soon we'll have Ben and Jerry's producing a Cookies and Cream 7" Tablet.

B&N didn't really leverage their existing strengths well because

1) They shifted to Android 4.0 and that meant a lot of the software has to be rewritten.

2) They shifted to new form factors.

3) They shifted to new screens and new screen resolutions.

IT's a lot of work.

It's also putting all their eggs in the HD and HD+ basket.

If they had kept Nook Tablet going they would have a hedge against the possibility (which now seems a probability) that HD and HD+ aren't a super hit.

With Nook Tablet (especially since it was build on Nook Color as the foundation) B&N had -

1) Proven Software. At least lots of the big quirks were ironed out.

2) A very stable device.

3) Economies of scale i.e. screens and hardware parts etc. were all at the stage where there must have been 3 to 5 million devices sold a year.

4) Something users were comfortable with.

If they continue that line and let the hardware be a foundation and keep improving the software, then they get a MUCH more stable product.

Amazon and B&N both seem to be in love with this concept of reinventing the wheel every single year. They do it both with eReaders and with their Reading Tablets.

My suggestion would be to finalize a form factor and basic hardware components and then iterate on the software for 3-4 years. AT that stage you would have a $50 to $100 reading tablet that would be super easy and super fun to use.

Who cares if it doesn't have a 24-core processor. It would work great for reading and movies and most apps.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

deesy58 wrote:

If it is true that "... three SKU's is overkill for what is really one spot in the product line ...", then that is an example of impacting their own product line, isn't it?

No, it's an example of rapid technological change impacting their product line. In November 2012, the NT16Gb was their top of the line model, then Amazon introduced a lower spec'd model at $200, where B&N had a year old model as if it was a budget price point. $200 turned out to be a sweet spot for a media tablet, and B&N introduced the lower spec'd NT8Gb, with half the RAM as well, at $200.

That leaves them in late 2012 / early 2013 with 3 SKU's as potential for the budget price point, the Nook Color, the Nook Tablet 8Gb, and the Nook Tablet 16Gb, and with an Amazon Kindle Fire in that price point. They shouldn't leave it blank, but by the same token they should not stock it with all three of the existing media tablets.

The Nook Color is too long in the tooth and the video hardware is too limited, so that leaves the NT8Gb and NT16Gb as existing options for that point. has more flash than their entry point Nook HD, so that's not the ideal for that line, since the entry point to the main product line should be at or over the budget entry across the spec sheet. That leaves either the Nook 8Gb or a reworked device (a slightly reworked device was Amazon's choice).

I think the Nook Tablet 8Gb would be workable, and should be on the short list of options. The other would be a reworked Nook Tablet. Main points of difference with the Nook 8Gb would be 1Gb RAM, like the NT16Gb, and the new Nook connector, which eliminates a substantial returns cost driver (it would probably have worked if they had tried an extended mini-USB connector, but the deformation of the port in the case of my Nook Color from the extra leverage of the extended micro-USB connector is clearly visible ~ the risk of deforming to the point of shorting out inside the case is apparent).

As far as the system, they don't need the multiple accounts, so an upgrade to the 2.3 system that gives the same family friendly access control as a single Nook HD account, and a bundle of the Nook Video for Android app when it is finished, would be the main points of system upgrade.

So use the Nook 16Gb board, except with 8Gb flash, and the new connector. That would be my reworked NT to put on the short list next to just retaining the Nook Tablet 8Gb.

5ivedom wrote:

Bruce, I get your point.

3 SKUs is overkill.

If they continue that line and let the hardware be a foundation and keep improving the software, then they get a MUCH more stable product.

Amazon and B&N both seem to be in love with this concept of reinventing the wheel every single year. They do it both with eReaders and with their Reading Tablets.

My suggestion would be to finalize a form factor and basic hardware components and then iterate on the software for 3-4 years. AT that stage you would have a $50 to $100 reading tablet that would be super easy and super fun to use.

I don't think the Nook NT was there for the finalized form factor, given weight, screen resolution, lack of Blu-Tooth, and the 1amp charge plug failure point. I think the Nook HD may well be there, should B&N survive long enough to push the Nook HD down to $100 and the Nook HD+ down to $160.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

BruceMcF wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

Apple did it with it iPhone 5, B&N did it with the HD but you can still use a N1E cable on a NSTG just fine. 

The benefit of the cable change is that it's supposedly constructed better than the usb cables of the NC/NT, it allows for streaming to TVs/Monitors with an HDMI port (most modern ones have this), and I believe it allows for faster transfer from your computer to the Nook.

The Nook HD was also introduced right around the time the NT was introduced last year.  The NSTG was released about a year after the NST.  The NT was released about a year after the NC.  Technology doesn't stand still, and while B&N discontinued manufacturing the NC/NT it's not like they stopped supporting them.  A NC/NT is old, you don't need the company to tell you that, especially with the two+ year old NC.

People buy electronics when they need/want them, knowing that a better model is likely to be out the next year. 

The Apple iPhone 4 was released on June 24, 2010.  The iPhone 5 was released on September 21, 2012 - more than two years later.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone   That would not meet the definition of impacting one's own product line.  The iPhone 5 was a newer generation that was introduced near the end of the iPhone 4's product life cycle. 

Tell me what it is about the NT that convinces you that it had reached the end of its product life cycle less than a year after its introduction.  Tell me (because I don't know) why the HD series is a generational improvement over the NT.  Tell me which new technologies were discovered and made available to product developers in that time period.  I'm curious.  I'd like to know. 

As a general rule, people do NOT purchase non-essential products if they know that a newer model will be available in a very short time, or if they suspect that what they are purchasing will be obsolete shortly after they buy it.  Did NT sales continue to thrive after the HD series was introduced? 

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

deesy58, isn't the NT the equivalent of the 4s? The NC=I-4, NT= I-4s, HD= I-5. This would make the product cycles basically equal. FWIW I think the NT would have been viable at $149-$160? I have to assume they couldn't get supplier costs low enough to break even at that price, given the volume they could expect.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

deesy58, isn't the NT the equivalent of the 4s? The NC=I-4, NT= I-4s, HD= I-5. This would make the product cycles basically equal. FWIW I think the NT would have been viable at $149-$160? I have to assume they couldn't get supplier costs low enough to break even at that price, given the volume they could expect.

I'm not that familiar with the NC, Pat.  I do however, like the idea proposed by 5ivedom of sticking with the NT hardware and upgrading the software in order to improve functionality while gradually reducing the price to keep it competitive.  I think the 4S was a mistake by Apple, but they wouldn't be the first big company to make a marketing mistake.  If B&N believes that they can introduce new products every ten months or so and still remain successful and profitable, then I wish them luck.  I believe that might be a strategy that is doomed to failure.  They will not be able to amortize development costs over a sufficient number of units sold to be able to avoid a write-off. 

After a year or so of production experience, I see no reason why the NT couldn't have been reduced in price to remain competitive.  Perhaps it is a matter of negotiating skills when dealing with suppliers.  My experience has been that costs can be greatly reduced after the initial risk hurdles have been surpassed.  This includes products that are sourced off-shore. 

If I'm not mistaken, the iPhone 5 has a different CPU and a different OS, so it really would be a generational improvement over the iPhone 4.  Apple also allowed a good 27 months to elapse before introducing the new product.  I can't speak so much for the phones, but Apple is very good at selling technology that has become obsolescent so that they are not caught with unsellable inventory.  For some time after Intel introduced the "I" series of CPUs, Apple was still selling Macs with Core 2 Duo CPUs.  My son-in-law bought one.  I made him take it back and get one with an I-5 CPU.  :smileyhappy: