Distinguished Correspondent
floridaphil

Tablet bootloader cracked

[ Edited ]

Wow.. the devs over on XDA are making pretty impressive progress with this project.

They are saying that CWM is 98% done and work is well underway on CM9 for booting from SD card. 

Oh no, I may need to buy another Nook Tablet!

EDIT:

Video here

Actual dev thread (where it starts to get interesting)

Frequent Contributor
Rebeljt

Re: Tablet bootloader cracked

floridaphil wrote:

Wow.. the devs over on XDA are making pretty impressive progress with this project.

They are saying that CWM is 98% done and work is well underway on CM9 for booting from SD card. 

Oh no, I may need to buy another Nook Tablet!

And the crowd goes wild! 

JT

Don't call it a tablet. 

Contributor
Kel1677

So glad i waited and didn't try to root it myself!!!!!!!!!!

Czechboy

I knew it was only a matter of time :smileywink:.  And soon, all the crying about no sideloading, will be naught but a distant memory...

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Czechboy dreams "soon, all the crying about no sideloading, will be naught but a distant memory"

Probably not.  Using the new technique will be harder than sideloading was when the tablet was released, and there are still folks here saying that reasonable consumers who'd read reviews could have thought sideloading would be preserved.  

There are plenty of NC owners with zero intention of rooting their devices, as they are concerned about preserving their warranty.  

The risk of mucking up the warranty on a rooted device is very low, as both the NC and the NT have restore options driven by SD cards that are pretty solid (better on the NC than the NT, so far) but there are some who simply won't root the devices even if a smple, bootable SD card comes along that would let them automate most of the process, as autonooter/manual nooter do.  

An ICS-based N2A style card is a possibility and hopefully will more than satisfy the requests, though.   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
floridaphil

You will see in the thread that there is a bounty of $5,000 mentioned for the first verifiable, published micro SD solution. Not that the devs are doing it for the money.

I believe that the bounty is being offered by the same guy who sells the N2A cards

http://www.nookreward.com/

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

Glad to Hear! As don't really care which side the fence people are On to root or Not to Root is the Question? Only that there are Options. Which is always a Good Thing?

But am anxiously waiting for ICS as that would be a welcomed wonder for me.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Czechboy

roustabout wrote:

The risk of mucking up the warranty on a rooted device is very low, as both the NC and the NT have restore options driven by SD cards that are pretty solid (better on the NC than the NT, so far) but there are some who simply won't root the devices even if a smple, bootable SD card comes along that would let them automate most of the process, as autonooter/manual nooter do.  

Personally, I'm hoping for the bootable SD card.  I'm one of the people that still like to have a warranty on my NT.  I know it's still a ways off, but yes... I do dream :smileyhappy:

roustabout
0 Kudos

"Personally, I'm hoping for the bootable SD card. I'm one of the people that still like to have a warranty on my NT."

On the NC, I greatly prefer rooted stock to CM7, and on an NT, the problem is that I expect you'll be downgrading from Gingerbread (and mounting your Nook as a disk drive for library management) to ICS via CM9, which will almost certainly be run via an MTP interface and will not be visible as a disk.  That, in turn, breaks Calibre and makes the sideloading process very error prone.

If I needed warranty service on my NC, I'd simply reimage it with a stock OS, replicate the fault, and take it for repair.  If the display itself were malfunctioning to the point where I couldn't reimage the OS, there'd be a very minor risk of someone repairing it, booting it, and then complaining about the software load.  

Time will tell how popular the CM9 cards are with most Nook owners.  

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

" ICS via CM9, which will almost certainly be run via an MTP interface and will not be visible as a disk.  That, in turn, breaks Calibre and makes the sideloading process very error prone.

Not knowlegeable myself to exact internals. So no Usb mounting at all or anyway to include it in ICS?

As forgot about the MTP thing of ICS. Just wondering if devs will work around that?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
Czechboy

roustabout wrote:

My impression is, that there are quite a few people (myself included), that would be more apt to get (or make) a bootable SD card than go the full rooting method.  There's probably even a lot more people that will continue to use it in it's stock form.  I say that only because of my newness to, and inexperience with, Android in general.  I'm not in any way, against rooting, and applaud all the work the true pioneers in the Android world have done, and all the people pushing it forward.  I do expect, that when I am more comfortable with it (and closer to the end of my warranty), I will probably be more than willing to root it, if for no other reason than to take my interest in it to the next level.  For now though, a bootable SD is a more welcome step forward.  It also helps a great deal to be a part of this forum, and see what other people are doing.  That does go a long way to encourage other people (like me), to want to explore other operating systems by rooting, first hand.

roustabout

[ Edited ]

"Not knowlegeable myself to exact internals. So no Usb mounting at all or anyway to include it in ICS?"

When connected to your computer -if ICS is like Honeycomb, and I think it is - an ICS device presents itself as a media player, not a little harddrive.  The media player is accessed via an interface called MTP, and Google's MTP for Honeycomb is badly broken.  Dean, Mark and I dug into some of the issues with it a while back  

I did try to explain the problems, without success, to Adam and Indirect when they were here.  I don't think they were interested in thinking about it much.  Any suggestion that ICS could be inferior as an OS for a tablet is against their faith, which involves Veneration of Shiny often to the exclusion of other things.  

If there is a cm7 port for the NT, then that will solve the problem.  It there is only a CM9 port, then I think the problem will lead to a lot of folks favoring rooting over an n2a style environment if they plan to do heavy reading and document management on the device.  

"Just wondering if devs will work around that?"

Maybe.  So far, they haven't.

I would pay for a utility that let me take an HC or ICS device, repartition it and mount one partition as real mass storage on my computer, rather than as an MTP device.  And I'm not the only customer who'd pay for that functionality.  

I would cheerfully contribute to a Gingerbread build for the Tegra 3 chipset, if there was a dev working on such a project.  To my knowledge there isn't one;  when I saw the question asked in the context of the Asus transformer, people didn't think the request was worth taking too seriously.   

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

As I read the thread briefly (someone please correct me if I'm wrong), booting from an SDcard requires a one-time modification to the NT's internal memory.  I gather that with that modification, you can still boot from internal memory, as though nothing has changed (but it has).

In other words, from a user's perspective, it will behave just like the NC does:  boot from SDcard (unsigned/unlocked) if present;  otherwise boot from internal memory.  This is distinct from the original bootloader, which does the same thing, except that the original bootloader requires that the boot files on the SDcard be properly signed.  As a result, if one messes up the install, there may be warranty implications (ie, getting back to stock).

Again I say, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

"Not knowlegeable myself to exact internals. So no Usb mounting at all or anyway to include it in ICS?"

When connected to your computer -if ICS is like Honeycomb, and I think it is - an ICS device presents itself as a media player, not a little harddrive.  The media player is accessed via an interface called MTP, and Google's MTP for Honeycomb is badly broken.  Dean, Mark and I dug into some of the issues with it a while back  

I did try to explain the problems, without success, to Adam and Indirect when they were here.  I don't think they were interested in thinking about it much.  Any suggestion that ICS could be inferior as an OS for a tablet is against their faith, which involves Veneration of Shiny often to the exclusion of other things.  

If there is a cm7 port for the NT, then that will solve the problem.  It there is only a CM9 port, then I think the problem will lead to a lot of folks favoring rooting over an n2a style environment if they plan to do heavy reading and document management on the device.  

"Just wondering if devs will work around that?"

Maybe.  So far, they haven't.

I would pay for a utility that let me take an HC or ICS device, repartition it and mount one partition as real mass storage on my computer, rather than as an MTP device.  And I'm not the only customer who'd pay for that functionality.  

I would cheerfully contribute to a Gingerbread build for the Tegra 3 chipset, if there was a dev working on such a project.  To my knowledge there isn't one;  when I saw the question asked in the context of the Asus transformer, people didn't think the request was worth taking too seriously.   

Yep also would pay for utility.

But just realized that about a week ago copied my Calibre Library to my Dropbox.And ran the setup wizard to point Calibre to new location in dropbox.

Now when I add books to calibre their in my Dropbox where I can just download intead of wired usb device mounted connection. So less of an issue and more of a workaround with dropbox playing middleman between Calibre and Nook.

roustabout
0 Kudos

This sounds right to me, Dean.  

You could get  very close to back to stock - so that it would be very hard to tell that the device wasn't stock - by reflashing with the 1.4.0 image written to sd card in the worst case.  I don't think that that reimage can undo the one-time mod, but I also think that spotting that one-time mod in a field of 99% regularly gacked NTs would be hard.  

I think the odds of a hall monitor refusing to honor your warranty would be slim, so long as your name wasn't Dean Gibson or Adam Outler :smileyhappy: 

roustabout
0 Kudos

"copied my Calibre Library to my Dropbox"

I don't use Dropbox.  I suspect, though, that you could do an ok two step sync if you trusted dropbox, where first Calibre polled Dropbox and put anything needed there, then your dropbox client polled Dropbox and synched your library to your device.

My problem is that in addition to ebooks, I regularly need to move work reading around, and some chunks of work reading mean I have to have positive control over all the media they touch.  

It's far simpler for me to never use cloud services and not worry about what, exactly, is in which document than it is for me to use them and then need to demonstrate to an auditor that I was paying attention.   

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

"copied my Calibre Library to my Dropbox"

I don't use Dropbox.  I suspect, though, that you could do an ok two step sync if you trusted dropbox, where first Calibre polled Dropbox and put anything needed there, then your dropbox client polled Dropbox and synched your library to your device.

Naw I don't go the extra sync to device as have more simple needs. And just download whatever books I want ot read next kind of thing. As I don't have my whole calibre library on my device. Any onetime may have 20-30 books.

But yep more complex needs require that wired connection.

F14Scott

Looks like a cracked bootloader and/or dual-bootable NT and/or CM7or9 might be ready for release at just about the same time a crapload of returned NTs will hit the market as refurbs, with pressure from a new class of 7" tablets influencing pricing.

Wouldn't it be a hoot to buy a refurb NT for $175 and crank up CM7 on it?  I'd do it, myself, if for no other reason than to have something to put into the $35 leather case I couldn't return.

Viva las devs!

floridaphil

CWM now 100% complete. I have a feeling this is all going to happen quickly from here on out.

floridaphil

No sooner had I typed the last entry when... reports that reovery image has been flashed WITHOUT need for an Sd card. This is huge guys.  Full mod of tablet with custom roms will surely follow.