Distinguished Correspondent
gobasso
0 Kudos

Tablets too distracting for reading?

Interesting article in NYTs this morning. My son, 15 years old, prefers his NST because he can't be distracted by all that other stuff. I have to agree. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/05/business/media/e-books-on-tablets-fight-digital-distractions.html?...
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Tablets too distracting for reading?

Much to my own surprise, I agree. I consciously made the choice to go back to the B&N 1.4.x firmware on my NC simply to cut down on distractions. Since then, I've read 12 books I've been meaning to for a long time. Running CyanogenMod on the device, I spent as much time playing with the device, getting it set just so, as I did reading.

After using my "reader-focused" NC in this mode, I picked up a NST and now quite appreciate the simplicity. Though I did root it. I can't go ALL the way back to basics! :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

well in this Book Club we are preaching to the choir.. Most of us are happy with the NTS for it's simple basics and high battery life..

But, I did get my son 21 a Galaxy tab for xmas. He wanted an ereader.. I wanted one large gift which made gift giving easier then 5 small gifts. So at first I was getting him the NT, but we moved to ht Galaxy after the whole app lockdown mess..

Anyway, he was originally wanting it for reading.. A month later asked if he had read anything. He hadn't.Then a little later, he had pulled down a book on Peter Pan.. Obviously a freebie, he wasn't into.. I then sideloaded a book I had just finished and I thought he would like..

He raced through it in two days, and now has picked up some other book (I think "The Lightning Theif" which I could have swore I got him the book when it was a new arrival, with rave reviews..)  Well anyway, after jumpstarting him, he remembered the true purpose of the Tablet was so he could read..

I did not have that issue with the NTS.. I used it for reading straight away.. Wasn't much else I could do with it.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
0 Kudos

I agree completely with this.

I started with a N1E, and found I read on it faster than when reading a physical book.

About a year ago my employer provided me with an iPad that I need to carry for work. I now take longer to finish a book, and read fro much less time before being distracted by something else on the iPad.

However I continue using the iPad, because even though it is the less capable eReader, I need to carry it for work, and do not want to carry two multiple devices everywhere.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

When I read books I only read on my Nook Simple Touch. I have the Nook app on my tablet but never use it for reading. I just find reading on my Nook to be a much better experience. When I read I read. When I want to surf I surf. I never combine the two. They are exclusive.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

I have heard some people complain that the NST dropped the browser, the Sudoku and chess games, even the clock, that were in the N1E.  I love it.  I use it to read.  Just read.

Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

Agreeing w/Alan and Mac, here. Eventually I will need to get a tablet for work purposes, but I think I'll always have a simple e-ink reader onhand for reading. The lightness and readability and lack of "toys" on it really keep me in bookworm mode. :smileyhappy:

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I love my NST for what it is, an eReader.  I've read more books on it in the last 9 months than I had read physical books in the previous 2 years.  It's GREAT for reading. 

I bought my wife a NT for her birthday/christmas because she wanted an eReader that she could read her magazines on.  She spends as much time on FaceBook or playing games as she does reading. 

I think the NST is darn near perfect, no distractions, no glare, great battery life and it's lightweight.  There are only 3 things I would like to see improved:

1. Dictionary - could be more functional, easier to search for words and it would be nice if it supported foreign words
  2. Shelving - way too unweildy
  3. wishlist - would be nice if it was synced to the website

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

When I read books I only read on my Nook Simple Touch. I have the Nook app on my tablet but never use it for reading. I just find reading on my Nook to be a much better experience. When I read I read. When I want to surf I surf. I never combine the two. They are exclusive.

I'm the exact same way. Don't have a tablet though due to having an iPhone but if I want to surf the web or plaly games I'll do that. And if I want to read I have my N2E. I don't mix my books with surfing the net.