Reader
bassplayer95
0 Kudos

Taking the Plunge-is it worth it?

I have a nook 1st ed. and I want to take the plunge and get a nook tablet. Is it worth it? I want all your opinions, the good, the bad, the ugly, etc. Thanks!

Frequent Contributor
tvd1204
0 Kudos

Re: Taking the Plunge-is it worth it?

My wife and I bought the first edition soon after it came out. She loved it. We then bought the Color when it came out and it was suppose to be for me, but she liked it so much better than the first edition, she was using it all the time, so I got a Tablet when the tablet came out. If you love to read, it's great plus it's easier to navigate through a book and much easier to use the Web and email etc.

Inspired Contributor
logdog

I had a 1st edition and thought it was a great reader.  I upgraded to the tablet and was disappointed with the lack of apps and the poor email client.  I did like the Dolphin web browser but overall I didn't think the upgrade was really worth the money.  Then I bought a N2A card to get full Android functionality.  Now I love everything about my tablet. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

I assume you're aware that the NOOK Tablet screen won't be so easy to read in direct sunlight. Take a look at one in the store and be sure you like reading on the illumunated screen. Keep in mind it will need to be charged more frequently than an eInk device. If you're aware of those differences, I think you'll be quite pleased. 

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well truth be told I think the Nook Color is a better buy for e-reading. Nook tablet for movies and online streaming and such may well be worth it.

But can watch preloaded movies just fine with no glitches. Web browsing and email fine. And the occasional game or other app with no problems.

For me would be hard pressed to justify the additional cost of the $50-$100 more for the Tablet over the Color. Which now can be had for the $129 $150 to $199 full price now.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
Francesde1st
0 Kudos

You cannot compare the operating systems between the color and the tablet. .  You think they do the same but the hardware is different. The tablet is superior!

My brother tells me when in doubt get the new version! There is always something newer, better, bigger etc!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Take the plunge :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy
0 Kudos

bassplayer95 wrote:

I have a nook 1st ed. and I want to take the plunge and get a nook tablet. Is it worth it? I want all your opinions, the good, the bad, the ugly, etc. Thanks!

Well it really depends on how you're planning to use it.  If you want to read on it, it's really nice.  I was apprehensive before I got mine because wasn't sure if I would like reading on a backlit screen.  I can now say, I love the screen being backlit and I have no eye strain at all.

If you can see yourself watching videos on it.  There's no question you'll like it.  It definately excels at this.  Crystal clear display, and no stuttering at all.  I watch Hulu, Netflix and SD stored movies on mine all the time.

If you're more interested in apps.  That may (or may not) be a show stopper if you can't find the ones you want in the B&N app store.  The selection doesn't bother me, I'm not big into games, but I was able to find a lot that I do like.  I will say that any of the apps I've downloaded through B&N work and look really good on the tablet.  If you download from the Amazon app store, or the Google play store (what a rediculous name), the apps you find are not always going to look nice on a tablet because most of them were written for a phone sized display.

Personally, I love the thing.  I use it without fail every day.  And if you're worried about the available content from B&N you can always use CM7 on an SD card if it really bothers you.  For me, it was worth it.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Contributor
FredFlintstone
0 Kudos

It is definitely worth it! I have a nook 1st edition that I love. I have had it since it was first introduced. For Christmas I received a nook Tablet. Now I use both regularly. For reading in bed the tablet is perfect. Now I use the nook 1st edition when I am away from home. I carry it in my purse, and use it at work. When I want to use apps, and watch movies I use my tablet.

Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

bassplayer95,

Take the plunge, you won't regret it.

Lector GS
New User
Borisgoodenough
0 Kudos

I recently bought my wife an 8GB tablet, even though she'd said she didn't want an e-reader. But I knew she'd use a tablet that just happened to have e-reader abilities. Sure enough, once I'd set it up for full Android access via an SD card, she's gone crazy with all the tablet functions -- and even doing some reading as well.

It's an excellent machine for the money, with great capabilities. But unless you go full-access, be aware of the limitations on those capabilities that come with being tied to what's available via the BN store.

Distinguished Correspondent
smiller492

I loved my NE1 since the very beginning and swore that I would never buy a new version...

Then my husband gave me the Tablet for Christmas.  I haven't touched my NE1 since!

I miss the 3G and it's difficult to read in bright sunlight, but it's not enough, IMHO, to discourage anyone form buying one!

Take the plunge!!

Correspondent
TelSC

If you're mostly going to be reading, email, and light internet surfing, then the color is all you'll ever need.

As for reading in full sunlight, with my tablet and Aldiko reader, i just slide the brightness up and I can read fine in direct sunlight. The brightness can be adjusted with the out of the box color or tablet, just not as easily as on a rooted device.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

TelSC wrote: The brightness can be adjusted with the out of the box color or tablet, just not as easily as on a rooted device....

???

1. Tap the lower right-hand corner.
  2. Tap "Brightness".
  3. Slilde the slider.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro
0 Kudos

TelSC wrote:

[...] The brightness can be adjusted with the out of the box color or tablet, just not as easily as on a rooted device.

If you've rooted the B&N firmware, you set the screen brightness exactly the same way. If you mean on non-B&N firmware (e.g. CyanogenMood), then there are a number of shortcuts (widgets, status bar mods, notification menu additions) you can use for this sort of thing to put settings a click away.

Correspondent
TelSC

bobstro wrote:

TelSC wrote:

[...] The brightness can be adjusted with the out of the box color or tablet, just not as easily as on a rooted device.

If you've rooted the B&N firmware, you set the screen brightness exactly the same way. If you mean on non-B&N firmware (e.g. CyanogenMood), then there are a number of shortcuts (widgets, status bar mods, notification menu additions) you can use for this sort of thing to put settings a click away.

Not exactly the same way. I'm talking about from within the book app itself. In Aldiko and a couple of others all you have to do is slide you finger up and down the left edge to lighten and darken the screen. To me that makes it a tad easier on a rooted device.

Stop Calling It A Tablet
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TelSC wrote:

[...] Not exactly the same way. I'm talking about from within the book app itself. In Aldiko and a couple of others all you have to do is slide you finger up and down the left edge to lighten and darken the screen. To me that makes it a tad easier on a rooted device.

Exactly the same way if you've rooted the B&N firmware. It's the same reader software and the same exact interface. I think you're possibly confusing rooting the B&N firmware (running the stock B&N NC/NT reader program) with running alternate firmware off of uSD or over-writing the B&N firmware on eMMC (running some other reader).

If you're running an alternate reader, regardless of underlying firmware, the interface varies.

If you're running CyanogenMod, and you enable the feature, dragging on the notification bar will (sometimes) change brightness, regardless of what program you're in.

Inspired Contributor
logdog
0 Kudos

Not exactly the same way. I'm talking about from within the book app itself. In Aldiko and a couple of others all you have to do is slide you finger up and down the left edge to lighten and darken the screen. To me that makes it a tad easier on a rooted device.

Great tip.  Thanks... I didn't know that before.  Love my Android Nook.

Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

Take the plunge. The nook tablet is a wonderfully wonderful device.

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire