Inspired Contributor
logdog

Thank you Barnes & Noble - N2A

Thank you Barnes & Noble for selling a “tablet” that is locked down to anything not sold by your company.

Thank you Barnes & Noble for not responding to my issues with your email app that wasn’t fixed with your last update.

Thank you Barnes & Noble for not responding to my question about how to use my Barnes & Noble gift card to purchase apps.

Thank you Barnes & Noble for asking me to pay for apps that are free from other sources.

Thank you Barnes & Noble for making me download library books to my desktop and then side load to my Nook when an Overdrive app is available for Android.

Thank you Barnes & Noble for delegating in store tech support to the music department even though the person working there readily admits to a complete lack of knowledge on how a Nook operates.

Your actions (or lack thereof) caused me to look for other options and eventually I found the N2A card on Amazon.com which turned my Nook Tablet into a fully functioning Android Tablet by simply inserting a SD card. Now I have an email app that actually works, a Nook app, a Kindle app and I can download free apps from Amazon and the Google Marketplace. I can download library books directly to the Nook. I can share files between my Nook and my desktop.

So thank you Barnes & Noble because I finally have a real Tablet that works and I no longer have to wait on you for tech support.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976

Re: Thank you Barnes & Noble - N2A

logdog wrote:
Thank you Barnes & Noble for selling a “tablet” that is locked down to anything not sold by your company.

My books, movies, and music that I having cramming up every inch of my SD Card seems to argue otherwise.

Contributor
cattie2thecat

[ Edited ]
I sooo much agree with u logdog!!!
Contributor
Hiberny

I think logdog is talking about apps and the lack of sideloading.

I was planning on buying a Nook Tablet and a N2A card for $50.  For the same cost, I can now get a Galaxy Tab 7 plus.  I really liked the ergonomics of the NT, but I may go for the Tab for the 5 Ghz wireless, the cameras, or the GPS. 

I'm still waiting for my tax refund, so I guess B&N has a few more weeks to wow me.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Well, I think it's splendid that BN stuck with Gingerbread for this device - the 7 plus is a very tempting device, but for me the bit where it runs Honeycomb is a deal breaker, since it cripples batched library management in Calibre. 

Thank you Barnes & Noble for not responding to my issues with your email app that wasn’t fixed with your last update.
Agreed - the issues many are having with the stock email app are a real problem, one that I'm sorry hasn't been addressed (though some folks are reporting that the last update helped.) 

Thank you Barnes & Noble for not responding to my question about how to use my Barnes & Noble gift card to purchase apps.
That's weird, I thought you could add a gift card to your account?  FlyingToastr? 

Thank you Barnes & Noble for asking me to pay for apps that are free from other sources.
As has been said again and again, many of those apps aren't free but rather are ad-supported. 

Thank you Barnes & Noble for making me download library books to my desktop and then side load to my Nook when an Overdrive app is available for Android.
Given the recent issues with publishers getting very annoyed by Overdrive due to Overdrive's very tight relationship with Amazon, it's actually possible that the issue here is that Overdrive has chosen not to port their app to the Nook family, rather than that BN didn't ask them to. 

Thank you Barnes & Noble for delegating in store tech support to the music department even though the person working there readily admits to a complete lack of knowledge on how a Nook operates.

It would be great if BN had a requirement that the designated hitters at each store for Nook support had actually done some training on the device. They may have something like that as a policy, but yes, you'll find a lot of people on these forums who know more about the devices that what an employee could learn in a day long course. 

I think it'd make sense to not only have the DH required to train, but as a perk for being the DH, that employee were issued a Nook device for free that they could use at home and keep learning on.  That would go a ways to maing staff want to be the DH, rather than getting stuck with it. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

That's weird, I thought you could add a gift card to your account?  FlyingToastr? 

On your NOOK, go into "Settings", click on "Shop", click on "Gift Cards", click on "Add a Gifft Card", and type in the 13 digit gift card number (on the back of the card) and 4 digit PIN (under the scratchoff), then click "Submit".

Alternatively, you can go into "Shop", click on "My Account" (upper right corner), click on "My Gift Cards", and add the card again.

Once a gift card is saved on your account it will be charged for all purchases (except magazine subscriptions) until it runs out of value. Note that you will still require a default Credit Card on your account for DRM purposes, though your card will not be charged.

Wakka wakka.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Well, I think it's splendid that BN stuck with Gingerbread for this device - the 7 plus is a very tempting device, but for me the bit where it runs Honeycomb is a deal breaker, since it cripples batched library management in Calibre.

Could you elaborate, please, and/or supply a reference link? (I didn't find anything relevant by searching.) I'm considering the 7 plus and would like to know about any such restrictions, though I do expect I'll want to stick with my NST for most reading. I understand the 7 plus will be getting ICS eventually. Will that make a difference?

Thanks.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
roustabout

Gingerbread and earlier Android devices, when connected to your computer by a USB cable, unmount their fat32 partitions (some automtically, like Nooks;  some manually, like Samsung Gingerbread devices) and present those partitions to your PC as if they were hard disks. 

So your PC can treat those as mass storage devices, and poll them, etc. 

Honecomb and ICS have adopted a presentation using a thing called MPT or MTP - the device is seen as a media player, and the Android device retains control of the Fat32 partitions and acts as the gatekeeper to them, essentially. 

Calibre can't talk to an MTP device -- perhaps this is "yet," and they'll develop a way to do it.  A problem is that not only is the Android MTP interface under HC slow, it's buggy - file and directory creation and deletion aren't correctly reported back to the computer, which means even if Calibre could speak the language, there's no guarantee that the management would actually work. 

Mark and Dean and I go through a chunk of this info in this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-General-Discussion/Semi-technical-issues-in-the-p...

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Mark and Dean and I go through a chunk of this info in this thread:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Tablet-General-Discussion/Semi-technical-issues-in-the-p...

Thanks very much. I was totally ignorant of these issues. I see I have some studying ahead.

Wordsmith
daenas

Hiberny wrote:

I think logdog is talking about apps and the lack of sideloading.

I was planning on buying a Nook Tablet and a N2A card for $50.  For the same cost, I can now get a Galaxy Tab 7 plus.  I really liked the ergonomics of the NT, but I may go for the Tab for the 5 Ghz wireless, the cameras, or the GPS. 

I'm still waiting for my tax refund, so I guess B&N has a few more weeks to wow me.

I returned my new BN Tablet and got the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Plus, for only $40.00 more, and I love it!  I never realized there was so much out there in regards to apps after using my Nook Color for a year.

Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

roustabout wrote:

Could you elaborate, please, and/or supply a reference link? (I didn't find anything relevant by searching.) I'm considering the 7 plus and would like to know about any such restrictions, though I do expect I'll want to stick with my NST for most reading. I understand the 7 plus will be getting ICS eventually. Will that make a difference?

Thanks.

I just bought mine 2 days ago and I will grant that Honeycomb takes some getting used to.  Samsung does use a program called Kies, on your computer, to be able to connect to the Tab.  The desktop computer sees the Tab as a device, not as an additional drive, either the device or sd card in it, so no dragging and dropping as I've read.  But Media player does connect to the Tab and you can export that way, I haven't tried this either.  After using the Nook Color for a year, and not owning a smart phone, this is all new to me.

Correspondent
Temetka
0 Kudos

Your actions (or lack thereof) caused me to look for other options and eventually I found the N2A card on Amazon.com which turned my Nook Tablet into a fully functioning Android Tablet by simply inserting a SD card. Now I have an email app that actually works, a Nook app, a Kindle app and I can download free apps from Amazon and the Google Marketplace. I can download library books directly to the Nook. I can share files between my Nook and my desktop.

So thank you Barnes & Noble because I finally have a real Tablet that works and I no longer have to wait on you for tech support.
Nice rant.
You do realize that yuor poor attitude will make almost any dev quickly ignore you and move on?
If you wanted help with your e-mail did you describe the problem to the community and ask for help? If so, where is the original post?
Gift cards has been answered above. Attach one to your account. You can use them to purchase books and apps. I have done this for myself many times.
Re apps: While I would like to see more apps on their app store. I do not want them to clone to google or amazon market. You do realize the about 90% of the available apps are total crap right? Same thing on the iOS side of things. What we want is QUALITY apps that looks nice on our screens and are formatted for them. A lot of developers do not want to re-write their programs specifically to offer a nook version. Deal with it. Or write your own programs.
I can't address your library issue as I have never borrowed an e-book from a library and I doubt I ever will.
If my responses seem harsh, it's just because your post drips with disdain and sarcasm.
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it. - Voltaire

“If there were no God, it would have been necessary to invent him.” - Voltaire
bobstro
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Gingerbread and earlier Android devices, when connected to your computer by a USB cable, unmount their fat32 partitions (some automtically, like Nooks;  some manually, like Samsung Gingerbread devices) and present those partitions to your PC as if they were hard disks. 

So your PC can treat those as mass storage devices, and poll them, etc. 

Honecomb and ICS have adopted a presentation using a thing called MPT or MTP - the device is seen as a media player, and the Android device retains control of the Fat32 partitions and acts as the gatekeeper to them, essentially. 

Calibre can't talk to an MTP device -- perhaps this is "yet," and they'll develop a way to do it.  A problem is that not only is the Android MTP interface under HC slow, it's buggy - file and directory creation and deletion aren't correctly reported back to the computer, which means even if Calibre could speak the language, there's no guarantee that the management would actually work. 

I understand the issue as you've presented it, roust, but I am wondering whether a more readily accessible uSD slot makes up for the deficiency of ICS. If popping the card out and inserting it into a reader that can be read by calibre allows all of calibre's synchronization features to work, might that not be good enough?

I haven't played with calibre and a card reader much, but I do recall calibre recognizing it and offering to synchronize to it.

Of course, this doesn't let you get a internal eMMC memory, but I tend not to use that anyhow, given the low cost of 16 GB and greater uSD cards these days.

roustabout

[ Edited ]

Bob asks:  "popping the card out and inserting it into a reader that can be read by calibre allows all of calibre's synchronization features to work, might that not be good enough?"

That would be nice, and the Calibre folks are working at improving the situation a great deal!  I started this post writing  "Calibre can write files to a folder, but it doesn't poll a folder in the same way as it polls something it knows is a reader."

As I was replying,  I took a quick look at Calibre to remind myself of how it behaves, and I think in a recent update they've improved the behavior (or I had not seen it before.  It's possible I missed it, but I think I'd have caught it:smileyhappy: 

Before, I had not seen a way to treat folders as devices;  now, using the Connect/Share button, it looks as if  they've improved the polling features on connected storage quite a bit.  I still dislike what happens when I try to eject and reseat the card on my Honeycomb device (an Asus Transformer;  the card has s tendency to wind up across the room because the microsd slot is aggressively springloaded) but I did just did a "connect/share" command on a mounted microsd card and a lot of the commands that formerly worked only with devices are available now for the card as well. 

There is (or used to be) one gotcha with write to folder, and you should check your preferences in Calibre on this:  you want to be sure you aren't writing .OPF files to to your folder if you use a reader like Fbreader. 

When I first started batching files for the Asus, I was pushing the OPF as well as the EPUB files and fbreader, at least, was thinking it could read the OPFs. 

Thank you very much for asking the quesiton - I wouldn't have looked at this again without it! 

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Temetka: Re apps: While I would like to see more apps on their app store. I do not want them to clone to google or amazon market. You do realize the about 90% of the available apps are total crap right? Same thing on the iOS side of things. What we want is QUALITY apps that looks nice on our screens and are formatted for them. A lot of developers do not want to re-write their programs specifically to offer a nook version. Deal with it. Or write your own programs.

One man's junk is another man's treasure. Many consider the majority of apps currently offered in B&N's store to be junk. Others like quite a few of them. An app's worth is in the eye of the beholder - no matter which store is selling it.

Other options for dealing with the problem other than simply living with it or writing your programs are: rooting the device, buying or making an n2a card for it, or buying another device.

Inspired Contributor
logdog

Temetka wrote:

Nice rant.
You do realize that yuor poor attitude will make almost any dev quickly ignore you and move on?
If you wanted help with your e-mail did you describe the problem to the community and ask for help? If so, where is the original post?
Gift cards has been answered above. Attach one to your account. You can use them to purchase books and apps. I have done this for myself many times.
Re apps: While I would like to see more apps on their app store. I do not want them to clone to google or amazon market. You do realize the about 90% of the available apps are total crap right? Same thing on the iOS side of things. What we want is QUALITY apps that looks nice on our screens and are formatted for them. A lot of developers do not want to re-write their programs specifically to offer a nook version. Deal with it. Or write your own programs.
I can't address your library issue as I have never borrowed an e-book from a library and I doubt I ever will.
If my responses seem harsh, it's just because your post drips with disdain and sarcasm.

If you want to see what I posted on e-mail issues, go to the Nook Table Issue Reporting forum and you can see that nothing has been addressed after several weeks.  E-mail on the Nook Tablet has been an issue since it's release back in November.  I also posted comments on the original issues with e-mail several months ago.

I posted my question on gift cards back in December when we had a forum for asking Barnes & Noble for help.  After about a month, that forum was taken down and my question was never answered until I posted this "rant" a week ago.

The apps that are now available for free through Google and Amazon with the N2A card are formatted for Android and look great on the Nook.  Some are advertiser supported but they are not obtrusive.

Finally, the Nook was originally designed to be an e-reader.  The fact that you can't download library books directly to the Nook is an issue.  The N2A card solves that.

I'm just letting this community know that I and others have been bringing these issues up and not seeing any response from Barnes & Noble.  Now there is an option that will open your Nook to make it a real Tablet. Don't like the stock e-mail app, no worries.  There are dozens of alternatives in the Google and Amazon stores.  If you want to continue to tie your Nook to B&N, that's your choice.  I went the N2A route and am very satisfied.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

roustabout wrote:

[...] Thank you very much for asking the quesiton - I wouldn't have looked at this again without it! 

Well, thank YOU for doing the research. I also stumbled into a transcript of an interview with a Google engineer that implies that the absence or presence of USB Mass Storage (UMS) in ICS is dependent on the presence of removable media in the device. Not sure if this is news, but it included the following tidbit:

Whoa, whoa. ICS doesn't support USB mass storage?

ICS supports USB Mass Storage (UMS). The Galaxy Nexus does not. This is the same scenario as Honeycomb, as for instance HC supports USB Mass Storage while Xoom does not.

If a given device has a removable SD card it will support USB Mass Storage. If it has only built-in storage (like Xoom and Galaxy Nexus) it will (usually) support only MTP and PTP.

It isn't physically possible to support UMS on devices that don't have a dedicated partition for storage (like a removable SD card, or a separate partition like Nexus S.) This is because UMS is a block-level protocol that gives the host PC direct access to the physical blocks on the storage, so that Android cannot have it mounted at the same time.

roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Very, very interesting. 

This, in particular:  " This is the same scenario as Honeycomb, as for instance HC supports USB Mass Storage while Xoom does not.  If a given device has a removable SD card it will support USB Mass Storage."

Dean G has, in the past, pointed out that some of the very early HC builds for the NC did support a mass storage mode.  Both the HC devices I looked at, a Lenovo Ideapad and my Asus Transformer, have removable cards but do not support a mass storage mode for accessing them. 

I need to look a little harder at how the Samsung media player I have and the Transformer behave,but I think the real issue is this: 

did the vendor include an /sdcard directory that comes and goes, or did the vendor design an /sdcard directory that is always there, with a subdirectory of /sdcard/removable or /sdcard/external? 

In both of the latter cases (the media player and the Transformer) mass storage is, ahem, interesting. 

The media player can be accessed either as mass storage or via MTP.  This is probably because it runs Gingerbread. 

The Transformer can only be accessed via MTP, because I think the system treats /sdcard and everything below it as that single, unmountable, FUSE-accessible filesystem. 

This suggests that it might be possible to hack the Transformer have a real /sdcard directory, which would be great.

Thanks for finding that - I'd never seen Google explain this. 

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I now have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus (very nice piece of hardware IMO), and I can add a few simple observations.

1. It's still true that Calibre doesn't support the device. It doesn't even recognize that there's any device connected.
  2. Explorer in Windows Vista sees it as a media player device with subfolders. (It gets an icon that looks like an iPod.)
  3. Explorer does actually support drag-and-drop from the PC to a folder on the device. It also supports folder creation.
  4. When you try to drag-and-drop an unsupported file type (for a media player), you get a warning message that the device won't play the file. But you can copy the file there for simple storage purposes (as far as Explorer knows) if you override the warning. Then you can do what you like with it on the tablet.

roustabout

Windows sort of supports file management on the device, but between Google and Microsoft, there's no accurate representation of the current state of what's on the device. 

The problem is much worse on the Windows side.  I just ran through some tests to document what I see on the Asus device.  Next up, I want to look at whether I can fix the filesystem mount on the microsd card - on the microsd, right now, the Asus mounts it not at

/sdcard

but at /Removable/MicroSD

I think that the following problems also exist on the internal storage, but have only done the process working with files and folders on the microsd card: 

connect to your computer

browse to the MicroSD folder on the MTP display

from an android file browser, delete a file.

from your computer, browse back to your device.

Look!  the file's still displayed to your computer (no  directory refresh from android.)  

Using Windows, create a folder on the 'droid device.  Wow, have you ever seen anything that slow?  And that's just the beginning. 

Delete a file or folder from within Android, as you might well during your day, using file browsers on the device to make and remove objects. Look, Windows still sees the objects there!  

Copying the nonexistent file or folder does not generates an error that Windows knows enough about to tell you.  This is bad.   

The folder issue is even worse than the file issue: a folder that's been deleted in Android is still displayed in Windows.  When you copy that object out Windows will create a new, empty folder with the name of the (actually deleted) folder from Android. 

Remember, when you checked that folder in Windows to be sure you had your data, it was still full of files.   So you get a folder with the  right name created but there's nothing in it.  And there's no warning that an error occured.

Anyone still want to try backing up their Honeycomb device with windows? 

Next, reboot your device.  

If you leave your USB connected, you'll notice something very interesting:   the thing doesn't even signal to windows that it's back.  

Disconnect and reconnect USB.  

Your device reappears.  

That folder you deleted in Android before you restarted?  Windows still thinks it's there even after an Android restart.  You have to reboot Windows before it gets an accurate view of what Android knows is and is not around.  

I suspect that that failure to notify windows that it's back and Windows not understanding that the file system have changed are related - there's a device arrival event that's only coming in over USB when the cable is pulled, not when power is restored with the cable connected.  

Windows does see the device go away, at least.  

The only way to get a re-poll of what's actually on the Android device is to reboot your computer.  

It's possible that the seemingly useless Windows utilities that Asus bundles with the TF are actually there to solve this problem - they can force a re-poll and get an accurate view of what's on your device.  They looked like junkware, so I uninstalled them, though :smileyhappy:

There are issues the other way as well, but they are less major:  

from your computer, delete a file.  

That file you deleted?  Look, Android's gui still shows it's there. (the OS does know it's there, as you can confirm if you're also shelled in and do an ls)  The gui won't update until you browse out of and back to the folder with the changing files.

From your computer, copy in a file.  Look, android hasn't displayed it yet.  Again, it is there, as ls confirms, but  you won't see it until you refresh the display.