Contributor
jukin

Thank you for screwing up my Nook Tablet B&N!

Their download of 1.4.3 wiped out all my books and magazines on my tablet. B&N appear to have no way of re-sending magazines to the device. They can stick their Nook up their a$$; I am putting a memory card in there with Android on and will not be spending a single cent more in their crappy store.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: Thank you for screwing up my Nook Tablet B&N!

jukin wrote:

Their download of 1.4.3 wiped out all my books and magazines on my tablet. B&N appear to have no way of re-sending magazines to the device. They can stick their Nook up their a$$; I am putting a memory card in there with Android on and will not be spending a single cent more in their crappy store.

Your current magazines are still in your account, along with your books.  Older magazines you would need to get from your archive.  If you didn't archive your old magazines, then, yes, you're SOL.

Otherwise, I do think B&N has a bit of a problem in the functionality of their updates.  However, in the TOS, it does say to backup your data as they warn that updates may cause a data wipe.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

But if it is reasonable for jukin to take some of the responsibility for things working properly we would miss the drama of that eloquent post.
Wordsmith
TnTexas

kamas716: However, in the TOS, it does say to backup your data as they warn that updates may cause a data wipe.

The more I think about it, the more off-putting I find this stance. Basically they're saying: You need to be sure to back up all your data because we reserve the right to do something to your device without your permission - something that mind wind up messing everything up. And if that should happen, you're going to be the one responsible cleaning up the mess. 

bobstro

It's not unusual for shrink wrap licenses and terms of service to include all sorts of warning that the user bears sole responsibility for ultimate backup of their data. It is unusual for an automated upgrade to wipe a user's data. What would B&N lose by providing users warning of an impending risky operation and a chance to back up before it happens?

If that is, in fact, how B&N handle their updates, I'd say just launching it without at least giving the user an extra warning or three before doing so is a bit heavy handed on B&N's part. I know they essentially over-write the system, but I don't recall how B&N deals with user data on the device. Is it wiped, or was this just an unfortunate occurrence? 

Wordsmith
TnTexas

bobstro: If that is, in fact, how B&N handle their updates, I'd say just launching it without at least giving the user an extra warning or three before doing so is a bit heavy handed on B&N's part. I know they essentially over-write the system, but I don't recall how B&N deals with user data on the device. Is it wiped, or was this just an unfortunate occurrence? 

I don't know. I've never lost any data in an update. 

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Is this post being taken as factual information. I believe, given the tone of the OP, that it is unlikely that data has been lost. If this was happening due to some action on BN'S part there would be many reports. The most likely answer is that the OP has a minor problem, got frustrated and posted dramatic thread starter. Boilerplate legal notices in the user agreements aside, just what is the threshold for notices of updates. It is common these days for security patches and minor updates to occur automatically.
bobstro

It is common for users to have an option to enable automated updates. Though this may indeed be a case of nothing actually lost, there are many reports here of updates occurring at unfortunate times or otherwise causing problems. B&N could easily provide an option to defer updates. This is an old and common complaint.
Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

Having the option to delay the update would be good to have - I avoid untimely updates by downloading the update and doing it myself when it comes out.

I have updated the N1E (Both editions), NST & Glow, and Nook Color and never had a problem or lost any sideloaded books.

I suspect that he may have reset his nook by mistake that caused him to lose his sideloaded books and not the update...

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,976

bobstro wrote:
It is common for users to have an option to enable automated updates. Though this may indeed be a case of nothing actually lost, there are many reports here of updates occurring at unfortunate times or otherwise causing problems. B&N could easily provide an option to defer updates. This is an old and common complaint.

Alternatively, allowing users to control major software updates means you get an issue like the current (stock) Android fragmenetation. ICS finally passed 10% market share, but Gingerbread is holding steady with the plurality of Android devices. And it turns out a good sized chunk of this is that people simply aren't aware that they can update their devices.

There's trade-offs either way. Personally I think BN should make software updates manual, but have a notification that pops up when there's a software update available which you can then download via the shop menu.

roustabout

[ Edited ]

One very quick way to block updates on a rooted tablet is to grab a copy of the update file, extract the build.prop file and copy it into the /system folder on your tablet.

You need root to mount /system as a read/write file system and to install a decent file manager.

Reboot, and your tablet thinks it's gotten the update.

There are better, more permanent techniques using sqlite but as a quick fix, this seems to work (so long as you haven't modfied your build.prop for other reasons to begin with. If you have done, I've found that updating the build date and build # in the modded build.prop file to whatever BN is pushing out allows the update fairy to ignore my device.)

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro

flyingtoastr wrote:

Alternatively, allowing users to control major software updates means you get an issue like the current (stock) Android fragmenetation. ICS finally passed 10% market share, but Gingerbread is holding steady with the plurality of Android devices. And it turns out a good sized chunk of this is that people simply aren't aware that they can update their devices.

Most Android updates tend to be within Android versions, so I doubt users not upgrading accounts for fragmentation as much as the mix of old devices and new devices (and types) hitting the market. Android supports everything from basic smartphones to TVs and full-on tablets. Everything past gingerbread is optimized for tablets and larger, so I wouldn't expect to see every older phone device updated to ics or beyond, and there are a lot of phones. It's a bigger jump than from froyo to gingerbread If you look at the numbers and speed for the eclair-froyo-gingerbread migrations, it's much faster.

There's trade-offs either way. Personally I think BN should make software updates manual, but have a notification that pops up when there's a software update available which you can then download via the shop menu.

Agreed. Simply giving users a warning would serve to quiet a lot of the complaints. This seems to be yet-another self-inflicted problem B&N has to deal with. With a bit of a marketing ("Here's what's new in version..."), B&N could get people to want to upgrade, while still not seeming so heavy-handed. It would also give them a chance to repeat their disclaimer that backups are recommended, and advising users what steps to take to ensure nothing is lost. All around, a consumer-friendly approach.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

bobstro: Agreed. Simply giving users a warning would serve to quiet a lot of the complaints. This seems to be yet-another self-inflicted problem B&N has to deal with. With a bit of a marketing ("Here's what's new in version..."), B&N could get people to want to upgrade, while still not seeming so heavy-handed. It would also give them a chance to repeat their disclaimer that backups are recommended, and advising users what steps to take to ensure nothing is lost. All around, a consumer-friendly approach.

As competition grows, this tends to become really important. That's concept that B&N hasn't really seemed to grasp yet.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I've never lost books in an update. The only way I know for that to happen is to reset the Nook back to factory default. Did B&N screw up his Nook or did he?
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Distinguished Correspondent
poiuy
0 Kudos

I've never lost books in an update. The only way I know for that to happen is to reset the Nook back to factory default. Did B&N screw up his Nook or did he?

That's a good question, but either way it all started when an update was forced on him.  If not for that it's unlikely anything bad would have happened.  So who do we blame for that?

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Several have commented after other updates that the books appear to be missing until they totally turn off their device and turn it on again, when they magically reappear.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

To the OP (if you are still around???) 

From a PC, go to the Barnes and Noble website.  On the top right hand side of the page, look for "My Nook" and log into your account. 

After you've done that, on the left hand side of the page, you will see "My Library".  Go to "Magazines" and see if you can archive EVERY MAGAZINE you have purchased from there. 

Then turn on NT, sync your library, then look for "Archived items".  Unarchive the magazines on the NT and resync.  And then see if you can redownload them all.  (I "think" that will work.  It's worth a try anyway.)

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

Several have commented after other updates that the books appear to be missing until they totally turn off their device and turn it on again, when they magically reappear.

Hmmm that's curious behavior ... I've never seen this on any update on my Nook Color, Tablet or Simple Touch.  It sounds like an address space that isn't resetting the way it should until a cold restart -- and if THAT's what it is, then it could be a problem with either the Nook application or Android itself.

Who else has commented on this because I don't recall seeing anyone else making this complaint?

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed