Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

Re: Author's Guild Perspective on the DoJ Announcement

MacMcK1957 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

I suppose this will wind up in the courts, but I don't have much faith in any decision by the courts, regardless of which way it goes, because today's courts are much more about politics that interpreting the law correctly. 

Actually I'm inclined to suspect it may well not.  Most antitrust-type actions tend not to.  The usual result is some sort of consent agreement that is carefully worded as, "We did not do anything wrong, and promise we won't do it again." :smileywink:

In other words, government extortion so the prosecutors can chalk up a "win" ... hang the damage to the economic system or actual legal cases.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Omnigeek wrote:

MacMcK1957 wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

I suppose this will wind up in the courts, but I don't have much faith in any decision by the courts, regardless of which way it goes, because today's courts are much more about politics that interpreting the law correctly. 

Actually I'm inclined to suspect it may well not.  Most antitrust-type actions tend not to.  The usual result is some sort of consent agreement that is carefully worded as, "We did not do anything wrong, and promise we won't do it again." :smileywink:

In other words, government extortion so the prosecutors can chalk up a "win" ... hang the damage to the economic system or actual legal cases.

That's exactly it, as I posted back on page 2. Of course, extortion works better when the defendants are smaller and poorer than the government. If Apple and Amazon really want to roll the dice by going to court, they probably have deep enough pockets to give the DoJ a run for its money.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

patgolfneb wrote:

Bklver896, there are better examples than cars but I do consider price when book shooping and based on the posts I see so do others. Unless you only buy books from previously read authors or only purchase books decided on before entering the online store it is just common sense.

This is me, and while I haven't asked, I suspect that this is most of my circle of friends.  I have so many recommendations and know of so many amazing authors that I hardly ever browse anymore, even when I got into brick and mortar stores.  I was one of the people that was really upset when the agency model went into effect and the price of Charlaine Harris' latest, which expected to release at $9.99, shot up to $13.99.  At least I had a nook and could pay the extra $4 - the kindle folks had to buy DTB or use a reader that wasn't their kindle.  But to pass on that book because of $4?  Not gonna happen.

Question for the self-pubbers (not sure if there are any reading this thread) - I'm under the impression that if you self-pub and post your ebook on Amazon and B&N, you control the price of your book.  Can anyone confirm this?  Because if that's the case, then how is agency pricing any different?

I'm with Keriflur and Ya_Ya.  If the $12 book is the one I want to read, that's what I'm going to buy and this is where I have an issue with the idea of replacing with a similar product.  For me, they're not similar products.  Everyone has those things that are more important to them, than others, for me it's books and reading the books I want to read.  I rarely, if ever, go to a movie, because IMHO, they're overpriced. Even a matinee where I live can run between $8-10.  Sometimes higher.  I'd rather spend that money on a book.  But I know lots of folks who go to the movies all the time.

As far as the self-publishing, I'm not an author or self-publisher, but I did read the information for both B&N and Amazon and posted it on another thread a week or so ago.  The BN guidelines state:

Publisher will set a List Price for each eBook between $0.99 and $199.99. 

Publisher will, at all times, ensure that the eBook List Price:

1. Is no greater than the eBook's List Price at any other retailer, website, or sales channel.
  2. Is no greater than the eBook's print edition (if applicable).
  3. Complies with the minimum and maximum pricing policy as stated above.

From what I remember from the Kindle publishing, it's pretty much the same, except theirs says the publisher will set the suggested retail price and Amazon has the right to discount it.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf

Re: The DoJ thinks it has a case against the Agency model

Maybe some of you can afford to pay $14 for an ebook. Most of us cannot. I bought my NC before the prices soared to unreasonable levels (after the agency model went into effect). I cannot afford to pay such high prices. I don't care how much I want to read a book-I will not pay an inflated price for it. I'd rather wait and try to find a used DTB version, even though DTBs are harder for me to read due to being visually impaired. Ebooks should be reasonably priced-lower than paperbacks and definately priced no higher than $7.
Correspondent
moogs
0 Kudos

Some of the best ereads i've had lately have been free from the library or under $10 from b & n.

If you want the latest and greatest, your going to pay top dollar. It's that way with everything.

Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl

I mainly have a problem that it seems horribly difficult for e-sellers to offer titles on sale even for a limited time.

I understand that the publishers want to protect their profits, and Amazon may indeed bleed sales - but after their publicized (and how many unpublicized) erasures of purchased materials off Kindles - short of winning pr being given one, I can't see purchasing a Kindle. I'll buy content occasionally from them, but knowing some authors & hearing how Amazon keeps such a relatively high percent of sales, I would MUCH prefer to buy elsewhere - including the original publisher's site.

After the "agency pricing" went into effect, I have gotten very frustrated that B&N, as well as other eBook middlemen sites, couldn't seem to be able to offer any books at a discount even periodically.

I read a lot of mainstream SciFi & Fantasy - it'd be nice to be able to puchase my eBook version of a paperback Star Wars novel at the same price I'd be able to get if I walked into the B&N an hour away, or at bn.com & used my membership discount &/or a one-time coupon!

Now it seems that unless I want independent-author titles, or for my romance Harlequin stuff, I can't buy a title in eBook format for under $5.

Buying a 'paperback' in electronic form for 10-50% more than the dead-paper version just burns my buttons - and has reduced my purchasing from the major publishers a great deal, particularly since my local Borders closed & I no longer pass a B&N (or easily divert to) on my daily commute. And it's upped (again) my purchasing from the romance publishers that then place their stuff @ Amazon & BN 1-4months later.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

@VA Harleygirl...

Have you tried purchasing your sci-fi ebooks from Baen Books? They have a lot of sci-fi ebooks at a low cost. You'll have to have Adobe Digotal Editions installed on your computer, then sideload to the NC. 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

laurieb52 wrote:

@VA Harleygirl...

Have you tried purchasing your sci-fi ebooks from Baen Books? They have a lot of sci-fi ebooks at a low cost. You'll have to have Adobe Digotal Editions installed on your computer, then sideload to the NC. 

You do not need Adobe Digital Editions with Baen Books.  All the SF I've got from Baen has been DRM-free so I can sideload (or download) to the NC directly.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Contributor
Pudda
0 Kudos

In regards to sideloading Baen books using ADE -- I have never done that - I just copy and paste my Baen books directly to the books folder -  have never had a problem doing that. I only use ADE to sideload library books.

Inspired Correspondent
Htom_Serveaux

I guess this means that it is, as they say, "on":

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304444604577337573054615152.html

Inspired Correspondent
Versel
0 Kudos

It's about time. . . .

Inspired Correspondent
Versel
0 Kudos

Having read the petition online, there is mention of the one publishing house that did NOT go along with the conspiracy.

After much deliberation, I'm thinking Random House.  Any ideas?

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Versel wrote:

After much deliberation, I'm thinking Random House.  Any ideas?

They held out for a year, so it's the obvious thought.  I agree with you.

Inspired Correspondent
Versel
0 Kudos

Dallas Morning News online just did an update--it was Random House that refused to join.  Love reading McMillan's CEO's comments about how this is going to let Amazon continue in their quest for a monopoly which began before the agency model.

And, for the important stuff, B&N--what kind of deals are you going to offer us now?

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

Versel wrote:

Dallas Morning News online just did an update--it was Random House that refused to join.  Love reading McMillan's CEO's comments about how this is going to let Amazon continue in their quest for a monopoly which began before the agency model.

And, for the important stuff, B&N--what kind of deals are you going to offer us now?

There goes the neighborhood! Now B&N, Apple, and Amazon set the prices, not the publishing houses. Wonder what's next?

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Bluepen61 wrote:

There goes the neighborhood! Now B&N, Apple, and Amazon set the prices, not the publishing houses. Wonder what's next?

Nobody but Amazon and Google selling ebooks.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

"Wonder what's next?"

Other devices have access to competitive book markets,  but Apple decides it needs a truly walled garden and adds a new clause in the EULA for iPad / iPod / iPhone / Mac - "I understand that only books purchased from Apple can be read on an Apple device and that Apple may remove from my device any noncompliant material and bill me for replacing it from the Apple store."  :smileyhappy:

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I remain unconvinced this AG and therefore DOJ actually understands the law or the Constitution.  They refuse to enforce laws that are actually clear and on the books, file litigation on points that aren't clear and don't recognize Constitutional limits to their authorities.

Inspired Contributor
Nerdymamaw
0 Kudos

Exactly why I will never own anything with an half-eaten apple on it.