Reply
Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012

The Great Nook Camera Debate!

I think it would be great if the nook had an accessorie that was a camera you could plug it in a the bottom where you put the charger or at the top where you put head phones. It would be a little web cam type thing you plug it in to the nook and walla you have a camera that you can use for skype (if they ever get that app) I cant really think of any cons in this other than them comming out with a new nook that has a camera built in WHICH WOULD MAKE THOSE OF US WITH THE NOOK COLOR AND NOOK TABLET VERY UNHAPPY!!! But if you can think of any please put those in a reply. If you agree please click the laurel leaf.

Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,521
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

There are at least a couple of barriers that come to mind:

 

1. Size and bulk: The most likely connection would be via the microUSB connector at the bottom. This connector is fragile, and won't support much strain. Any such attachment would have to provide support, most likely along the enclosure. It will probably be pretty bulky.

 

2. Cost: A new NOOK Tablet costs $200-$250. Full-on 7 inch tablets are now available for $250 that provide front and rear cameras, bluetooth and GPS for $250, not to mention full market (Play Store) access and Android 4 (ICS) OS. If such an add-on camera costs $30, you might as well consider a different tablet. Would they sell enough to make it worthwhile?

 

 

Wordsmith
doncr
Posts: 492
Registered: ‎12-29-2010

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

Considering who the target market is for the Nook devices, if it were to include a front-facing camera, a Make-up Mirror app would surely follow.

 

 

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
Posts: 788
Registered: ‎12-03-2011

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!


doncr wrote:

Considering who the target market is for the Nook devices, if it were to include a front-facing camera, a Make-up Mirror app would surely follow.

 


ROFL! You must know Julie personally.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!


bobstro wrote:

There are at least a couple of barriers that come to mind:

 

1. Size and bulk: The most likely connection would be via the microUSB connector at the bottom. This connector is fragile, and won't support much strain. Any such attachment would have to provide support, most likely along the enclosure. It will probably be pretty bulky.

 

2. Cost: A new NOOK Tablet costs $200-$250. Full-on 7 inch tablets are now available for $250 that provide front and rear cameras, bluetooth and GPS for $250, not to mention full market (Play Store) access and Android 4 (ICS) OS. If such an add-on camera costs $30, you might as well consider a different tablet. Would they sell enough to make it worthwhile?

 

Ok could you please explain 1 for me and for number 2 thats very true but i already have the nook tablet as do many more people so mabye a limited type thing for the cameras might work?

 

 


 

Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
Posts: 766
Registered: ‎11-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!


Adelynn wrote:

bobstro wrote:

There are at least a couple of barriers that come to mind:

 

1. Size and bulk: The most likely connection would be via the microUSB connector at the bottom. This connector is fragile, and won't support much strain. Any such attachment would have to provide support, most likely along the enclosure. It will probably be pretty bulky.

 

2. Cost: A new NOOK Tablet costs $200-$250. Full-on 7 inch tablets are now available for $250 that provide front and rear cameras, bluetooth and GPS for $250, not to mention full market (Play Store) access and Android 4 (ICS) OS. If such an add-on camera costs $30, you might as well consider a different tablet. Would they sell enough to make it worthwhile?

 

Ok could you please explain 1 for me and for number 2 thats very true but i already have the nook tablet as do many more people so mabye a limited type thing for the cameras might work?

 

 


 


The big thing is that the system has to be extended to support usb host mode and provide power over the usb port. If they are going to do that, doing it for a keyboard would be a much bigger marketplace win than doing it for a camera, given that so many people have a camera with their cellphone.

 

Indeed, the market for cameras on cellphones is much bigger, because a cellphone is much more convenient to take snaps with than a tablet ~ even a 7" tablet.

 

The limited size of the camera market for nooks would make it something for the 3rd-party market if they added USB host mode and power supply in support of a keyboard. But on its own, its not something that is going to sell a lot of ebooks.

Correspondent
Karen973
Posts: 81
Registered: ‎01-10-2012
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

ok i think I get it but is it possible

if it is what your saying is its not worth it

Please remember to laurel if you agree or think this message was helpful
-Karen
Contributor
tcg2ki
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-21-2011

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

that's ridiculous. They should be building them with built in dual cameras like all the other tablets. Also should be able to side load all apps and books and have up to 64G memory to start with and expandable, anything less is stupid. They should stop gearing their tablets to housewives and be realistic. Housewives and everyone else is buying tables with these features and if they don’t have them then they go somewhere else. This is why they are having problems competing. Their mindset needs to change and now!!!!

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,095
Registered: ‎07-25-2011

Re: The Great Zombie Thread

It's alive! It's alive!!!!!
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,323
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Zombie Thread

It doesn't seem to have survived the reanimation process with its prior understanding of the English language.

 

This is truly a Frankenstein thread!

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,521
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Zombie Thread

[ Edited ]

It's a zombie thread. Not the greatest zombie thread though. It's barely a pup.

 

I didn't realize Steve Wozniak was posting here though. 64 G for an entry level devices is an ... interesting concept.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
Posts: 766
Registered: ‎11-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Zombie Thread

[ Edited ]

tcg2ki wrote:

that's ridiculous. They should be building them with built in dual cameras like all the other tablets. Also should be able to side load all apps and books and have up to 64G memory to start with ...


And it came back to life without being aware that the new Nook's have Google Play, and have the option to enable ADB, so sideloading isn't a substantial issue anymore.

Contributor
tcg2ki
Posts: 12
Registered: ‎02-21-2011
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

The original target market they chose was stupid. It should be for everyone. Even the market they chose they did not listen to or think about very much. Most mothers want to take pictures.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,715
Registered: ‎09-10-2011

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!


tcg2ki wrote:

The original target market they chose was stupid. It should be for everyone. Even the market they chose they did not listen to or think about very much. Most mothers want to take pictures.


Wow, a trifecta, no insight, puts down mothers, evidently unintentionally, plus inarticulate to boot. If it wasn't such an awful response I would suspect trolling. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,521
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

Perhaps we can argue whether more mothers want a front camera for doing selfies, or a rear one for keeping an eye on the kiddies as they do facebook?

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
Posts: 877
Registered: ‎01-25-2011

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

I really have to fight to keep from laughing audibly whenever I see people taking pictures with their ipads and tablets.  I understand making do with what you have -- I use the camera on my cellphone occasionally (but that's all the more reason I find rants for cameras on tablets somewhat laughable) but I value my pictures so I get decent quality cameras (both DSLR and point-and-shoot) to do the job.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,521
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

Crappy cameras are nothing new. Instamatics sold very well. Camera snobs laughed then too. I'm not going to begrudge somebody having a good time.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
Posts: 945
Registered: ‎11-24-2012
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!


bobstro wrote:

Crappy cameras are nothing new. Instamatics sold very well. Camera snobs laughed then too. I'm not going to begrudge somebody having a good time.


Ah, but those Instamatics used a film format larger than 35mm SLRs. Sure, they only had fixed focus moderately wide plastic lenses with one shutter speed and two apertures (if that), but the media only required around a 2.5X enlargement to produce a typical "snapshot" print vs the 4X for the SLR. Abberations would not be as noticeable.

 

In contrast, all these phone/tablet cameras would require 10-20X enlargements to produce the same size print. They are operating at the boundary of optical diffraction effects. And much narrower dynamic range.

 

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,521
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

And yet, people are still managing to catch themselves in the middle of having a good time with them. I'd rather have a crappy photo of loved ones living life to look on later than a perfectly framed and focused shot of everybody posing for the photog's ego. Enjoy your hobby, but don't begrudge others a good time.

Doug_Pardee
Posts: 5,504
Kudos: 3,957
Registered: ‎03-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: The Great Nook Camera Debate!

[ Edited ]

Wulfraed wrote:

 

Ah, but those Instamatics used a film format larger than 35mm SLRs.


This is way off-topic, but... Instamatic film was 35-mm film, but without sprocket holes. Whereas 35mm cameras typically exposed a 36x24mm rectangle on the film, Instamatic cameras exposed a 26.5x26.5mm square (effective size of the area that would get printed).