Distinguished Scribe
gb18

The tablet wars are on.

Correspondent
BrassMonkey

Re: The tablet wars are on.

Gah ya beat me to it! Haha just want to point out that these are not CPO nooks or refurbished. Brand spanking new nook 8 gig tablets. See for yourself here. http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Barnes-Noble-NOOK-Tablet-8GB-Wi-Fi-7in-Silver-/113093820
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

Second shot over-the-bow

As I recently suggested in another thread (Nook Glow), B&N now seems to be signalling to Amazon, that they are perfectly willling to engage in a price war.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Frequent Contributor
rafalweb
0 Kudos

It's nice to see BN getting aggressive.   Especially with this, and with the Glow, poking Amazon in the eye as much as BN can.   This is why I intend to stickj with BN.  Hopefully, it will work.

Frequent Contributor
Rebeljt

rafalweb wrote:

It's nice to see BN getting aggressive.   Especially with this, and with the Glow, poking Amazon in the eye as much as BN can.   This is why I intend to stickj with BN.  Hopefully, it will work.

I'd hardly call it tablet wars. More like E-Reader wars. At least until they want to provide software that is more like a tablet. 

JT

Don't call it a Tablet!

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

[ Edited ]

"Plus, the Nook Tablet is easily transformed into a bona-fide Android tablet by popping in an N2Acard or a Root My Nook Tablet card."

Freedom is not free.
Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat
0 Kudos

gb18 wrote:

"Plus, the Nook Tablet is easily transformed into a bona-fide Android tablet by popping in an N2Acard or a Root My Nook Tablet card."

If you are going to mention the N2A and RMT cards, you should also mention the Android for Nook card available at www.androidfornook.com - I don't have any experience with any of these cards since I made my own 32gb CM7 card but it is my impression from looking at the web sites that the AFN card is significantly cheaper than the other two and offers the option of downloading an image (for $9.99) for your own or sending your own card to them for installation.  Reviews of the AFN cards on these boards have been generally quite positive, particularly with regard to customer service.

It should also be noted that none of these cards (particularly the Root My Nook Tablet Card) actually "roots" the NT - they all offer versions of CM7 that function in a dual boot mode.  From a brief look a the RMNT site, it appears that the card must be removed to boot to stock - I THINK that the others do not require removal of the SD card (I know the one I made does not.)

I think it is regrettable that many (most) reviews/comparisons fail to make mention of the ease of converting the NC and NTs to full android tablets (within the limitations of the lack of GPS, microphone, camera, etc.)

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

BrassMonkey wrote:
Gah ya beat me to it! Haha just want to point out that these are not CPO nooks or refurbished. Brand spanking new nook 8 gig tablets. See for yourself here. http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Barnes-Noble-NOOK-Tablet-8GB-Wi-Fi-7in-Silver-/113093820

Interesting to see the 16 GB version down to $229 on the same page.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

[ Edited ]

Swamprat wrote:

gb18 wrote:

If you are going to mention the N2A and RMT cards, you should also mention the Android for Nook card available at www.androidfornook.com - I don't have any experience with any of these cards since I made my own 32gb CM7 card but it is my impression from looking at the web sites that the AFN card is significantly cheaper than the other two and offers the option of downloading an image (for $9.99) for your own or sending your own card to them for installation.  Reviews of the AFN cards on these boards have been generally quite positive, particularly with regard to customer service.

It should also be noted that none of these cards (particularly the Root My Nook Tablet Card) actually "roots" the NT - they all offer versions of CM7 that function in a dual boot mode.  From a brief look a the RMNT site, it appears that the card must be removed to boot to stock - I THINK that the others do not require removal of the SD card (I know the one I made does not.)

I think it is regrettable that many (most) reviews/comparisons fail to make mention of the ease of converting the NC and NTs to full android tablets (within the limitations of the lack of GPS, microphone, camera, etc.)

That was a direct quote from the author in response to an earlier post.  Hadn't heard of AFN before; thanks for the link.

Freedom is not free.
Inspired Correspondent
Eustace2
0 Kudos

Plus 1 on the AFN card.  I did the AFN download for $9.99 and I have been very happy with it.  Dean provides great customer service.  And, no, I don't work for AFN :smileywink:

"With Android for Nook, I am a real tablet." The Nook Pinocchio.
Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

Eustace2 wrote:

Plus 1 on the AFN card.  I did the AFN download for $9.99 and I have been very happy with it.  Dean provides great customer service.  And, no, I don't work for AFN :smileywink:

I could not have said it better, and also do not work for AFN. 

Inspired Contributor
CriticalReception
0 Kudos

Add me to the AFN fan club as well. Only $9.99 if you have your own micro sd card, and it works like a charm. I did this to my mother's tablet after getting tired of waiting for barnesandnoble to provide adequate functionability to the tablet. I would defiitely recommed this to everyone with a nook tablet, who wants to do something other than read with it. If you do decide to go this route make sure you get a sandisk 8GB sd card or higher. I tried it with a dane one I bought from target and it didn't work, but the sandisk, which is the one recommended, worked perfectly. 

Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Well, the AFN card is a great deal even if you only intend to use your Nook as a reader. With the AFN card in place you can have both the Kindle reader and the Nook reader apps on the Android side of the device thereby eliminating the need to reboot to get into regular Nook. I had Dean set up my card for me. Ask him abut the AFN Bookworm which also sets icon size for displayed book covers.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

byter67: Well, the AFN card is a great deal even if you only intend to use your Nook as a reader. With the AFN card in place you can have both the Kindle reader and the Nook reader apps on the Android side of the device thereby eliminating the need to reboot to get into regular Nook. I had Dean set up my card for me. Ask him abut the AFN Bookworm which also sets icon size for displayed book covers.

You said to ask, so I'm asking. :smileyhappy: What is AFN Bookworm and where exactly are these book covers displayed? Within the home screen of an app? On the homescreen of the Tablet? Someplace else?

Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The book covers are displayed in the reader app's home screen.

The AFN Bookworm micro card comes with a pre-installed Kindle Android app, a preinstalled Nook Android app, and another app (I don't recall the name of it offhand) that bumps up the pixel size of the book covers within the apps so they are more legible. Email Dean @ AFN - he'll know what you are referring to.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

[ Edited ]

Ah, I see. I was hoping it was something that would allow you to take books from the individual apps and put the covers directly on the device's home screen like you can with the stock side of the Tablet. But it sounds like it doesn't do that. Still, enlarging the covers within the apps themselves is pretty cool too. Definitely a plus, in my book.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF

[ Edited ]

Rebeljt wrote:

I'd hardly call it tablet wars. More like E-Reader wars. At least until they want to provide software that is more like a tablet. 

JT

Don't call it a Tablet!

For a lot of people, Netflix, HuluPlus, and a choice of browsers is over 80% of what they use a media tablet for. Its not like people are going to actually confuse a media tablet with a tablet PC unless they are doing so deliberately in order to provoke a meaningless semantic argument.

Anyway, for $150, I'd just root the damn thing. Wouldn't cost nothing, since I already have a few micro-SD cards.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

BruceMcF: For a lot of people, Netflix, HuluPlus, and a choice of browsers is over 80% of what they use a media tablet for. Its not like people are going to actuallyconfuse a media tablet with a tablet PC unless they are doing so deliberately in order to provoke a meaningless semantic argument.

That totally depends on what expectations the person brings to the table where the word "tablet"is concerned (that word is beginning to evoke expectations in the mind of the consumer) and how much research they do beforehand to see how closely the device they buy meets those expectations. I'm not saying confusion will happen often, but it is likely to happen.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

BruceMcF wrote:

For a lot of people, Netflix, HuluPlus, and a choice of browsers is over 80% of what they use a media tablet for. Its not like people are going to actually confuse a media tablet with a tablet PC unless they are doing so deliberately in order to provoke a meaningless semantic argument.

Anyway, for $150, I'd just root the damn thing. Wouldn't cost nothing, since I already have a few micro-SD cards.

The mere existence of the cottage industry that has sprung up around rooting and booting alternate firmware on these devices certainly indicates that the missing 20% of functionality not addressed by those 3 apps is important to a lot of people. The shame is that the hardware is perfectly capable of running the missing apps. B&N have simply elected not to make them accessible to their customers.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

bobstro wrote:

BruceMcF wrote:

The mere existence of the cottage industry that has sprung up around rooting and booting alternate firmware on these devices certainly indicates that the missing 20% of functionality not addressed by those 3 apps is important to a lot of people. The shame is that the hardware is perfectly capable of running the missing apps. B&N have simply elected not to make them accessible to their customers.

Again (from another current thread), if the Nook purchases of "those people" (and that includes me) doesn't represent sufficient profit to make it worthwhile to B&N to sell them Nooks, it's perfectly logical that they try to discourage and/or block that usage of Nooks.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.