Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

There are now over 10,000 apps in the BN app store

BN now has over 10,000 apps in the app store.

I have been fortunate to find pretty good apps for the tasks I need.  I have not really found the need to root or use an N2A card.  But I do realize this is just my experience, and partly it is because I don't mind spending a few bucks for a good app.

That said, a better music player app (though emusic works well enough) and a good audio book player would be nice.(though i have yet to try overdrive for this.)

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: There are now over 10,000 apps in the BN app store

Thanks for the update SFlawGuy1.

For anyone who wants a quick and easy way to navigate through those apps, please try our

Free 

Apps  Buddy App.

Just search for 'Apps Buddy App' in the Shop or on the website.

It lets you search quickly, and also lets you sort by newest, rating, etc.

Correspondent
Wulfraed

How many are the after you remove all the hidden object puzzles match the gems games and pigs vs birds?

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

How many are the after you remove all the hidden object puzzles match the gems games and pigs vs birds?

Isn't that true of all the stores? With the price and income models in place those must be the apps that can be developed and sold profitably.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yes, exactly what PatGolfNeb wrote.

All the 'grown up' apps people complain are missing (from all the app stores) are not profitable. There just aren't enough numbers of people to buy them.

App Stores have a unique problem.

1) Games that have a very wide target market (casual games, etc.) can sell at $1 or $2 and still make money from volume.

2) But that creates the expectation that everything should be cheap.

A niche app that doesn't appeal to everyone just can't be developed profitably.

If your market is just 50K people, and it takes you $50K or $100K to develop the app, then you'll want to sell it for $5 or $10.

But

A) All those 50K people will expect $1 because the Birds vs Pigs game is at $1 and so forth. And they see all apps in the Top 100 Paid are mostly $1.

B) There will be 10 other people targeting that 50K people market and some of them will be crazy enough to go for $1. However, to hit that $1 they'll compromise quality.

It's even more pronounced in smaller markets.

Because there the niche audience is 5K to 10K people instead of 50K or 100K people.

Contributor
Sue_D_Nim
0 Kudos

Yes, but they're 10,000 apps for five year olds plus a few nice productivity apps. Where are all the games and creativity apps for grownups? RPGs? Artrage? Sketchbook? Draw Something? They're missing out on such a large market. I'd buy all my android apps all over again on my Nook if they were available.
Contributor
Sue_D_Nim
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@5ivedom:

5ivedom wrote:

If your market is just 50K people, and it takes you $50K or $100K to develop the app, then you'll want to sell it for $5 or $10.

I'd pay up to $10 for an app like artrage or procreate or sketchbook or infinite painter. I'd pay at least $5 for Draw Something. I'd pay $10 Evernote if they'd allow us to update it.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

You dont have to pay $10 to update Evernote. Version 5.0.3 is now available in the B&N store.

Go to Apps, then hit icon on lower left corner, select "check for updates." It should pop up. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Sue,

You wrote:

I'd pay up to $10 for an app like artrage or procreate or sketchbook or infinite painter. I'd pay at least $5 for Draw Something. I'd pay $10 Evernote if they'd allow us to update it.

That might work. Making high quality apps and pricing them at $10 and getting people who're willing to pay.

It's a lot of investment though.

Inspired Contributor
sflawguy1
0 Kudos

The app store really is getting ridiculous with all the games on there.

Some useful apps for adults would be appreciated.  I certainly don't mind paying for them and have bought several from among the few that are available.

I've seen posts saying that we should contact the developers and ask them to develop BN versions.  While there is nothing wrong with this approach, it should be said that the BN store is not our store, it is BN's.  They are ultiimatety responsible for what is in the store.  They bear the responsibility for the current woeful state of the app store.

Does anyone know if BN is even trying?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I think B&N's focus is on stuff like IAP and Apps for Julie and the big hit games from iPhone and iPad.

I don't know if they have a group that looks for Productivity Apps and Useful Apps.

Those apps don't get much visibility anywhere (Top 100 Lists for iPhone etc. are dominated by games and frivolous type apps). So there's not really any way for B&N to even know there's a really good App for X that some B&N owners would like. They can only see the Top 200 Free & Top 200 Paid and Top 200 grossing and ones that get press coverage.

Contributor
Sue_D_Nim
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

You dont have to pay $10 to update Evernote. Version 5.0.3 is now available in the B&N store.

Go to Apps, then hit icon on lower left corner, select "check for updates." It should pop up. 

I love  you. :smileywink:

Contributor
Sue_D_Nim

sflawguy1 wrote:

Some useful apps for adults would be appreciated.  I certainly don't mind paying for them and have bought several from among the few that are available.

I've seen posts saying that we should contact the developers and ask them to develop BN versions.  While there is nothing wrong with this approach, it should be said that the BN store is not our store, it is BN's.  They are ultiimatety responsible for what is in the store.  They bear the responsibility for the current woeful state of the app store.

I contacted a developer a couple of weeks ago about a bug in the Nook version of one of my favorite apps. They basically told me that B&N took their own sweet time approving patches, so I shouldn't hold my breath. Lo and behold, the patch is out and the bug fixed. Just goes to show it's not completely hopeless.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Really?

I've found that updates get approved quickly. Usually within a week.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

sflawguy1 wrote:

The B&N appstore opened two years ago (4/26 or so) with approximately 130 apps. Thats not a typo or a joke. It was 1-3-0. So yes, they seem to be trying. (Granted, there seem to be way to many to-do lists, wallpapers, and calculators for my needs, but heye, at least you have options.)

The reason its suggested to contact the developer directly is because in some cases, the developer needs to see that there is a viable interest in their app on this platform to port it over. Evernote is a perfect example. A user on this forum contacted them and posted EV's reply (which was basically no, no plans to bring it over.) Enough people saw the post and acted on it, contacted EV, and the app was here about 2or 3 weeks later.So yes, contacting the developercan make a difference.

What other apps are you looking for?

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Good point Nook Gardener.

The B&N appstore opened two years ago (4/26 or so) with approximately 130 apps. Thats not a typo or a joke.

For the OP -> It's a chicken and egg problem.

1) There aren't enough Nook owners to make it a no-brainer for developers.

2) There are enough people who come in thinking it's Android and should be free everything to lower the pool of customers buying apps.

3) The net result is that the market is small.

How can B&N convince developers to port over apps to a small market. They've done a really good job to get to 10,000 apps.

If all the people who want more range of apps just started buying some apps the problem would be solved. But they won't - because it's a chicken and egg problem and no one wants to invest before seeing rewards.

So users - We won't buy existing apps because we want more range or more free apps or more apps of type X.

So developers - We won't port over because first we want to see more sales.

The leading ecosystems get stronger and the other ones get weaker.

Even big companies like Microsoft and Blackberry have to do crazy things like pay developers to make apps for their stores.

B&N Nook Store is a relatively small store. IT's pretty commendable that it got to 10,000 apps that work on Tablets.