Reply
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,605
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

This Won't Be Confusing At All

E-ink discussion mixed in with LCD discussion?  Nope, that won't be confusing at all.  I'm sure everyone, especially the newbies with questions, will be sure to always state which device they're talking about and always post in the right thread.  Every time, for sure.

 

I'm sure it will all be clear as crystal and smooth as butter.

Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 1,998
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All


keriflur wrote:

E-ink discussion mixed in with LCD discussion?  Nope, that won't be confusing at all.  I'm sure everyone, especially the newbies with questions, will be sure to always state which device they're talking about and always post in the right thread.  Every time, for sure.

 

I'm sure it will all be clear as crystal and smooth as butter.


While I see your point. The fact is that LCD people are already posting their questions on E-Ink discussions, and everyone (NST, NSTG, Tablet, Color, HD, and HD+) post in the first edition forum.

 

At least with them all in the same forum, there is a better chance that someone who can actually help will see the message.

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,605
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All


LarryOnLI wrote:

keriflur wrote:

E-ink discussion mixed in with LCD discussion?  Nope, that won't be confusing at all.  I'm sure everyone, especially the newbies with questions, will be sure to always state which device they're talking about and always post in the right thread.  Every time, for sure.

 

I'm sure it will all be clear as crystal and smooth as butter.


While I see your point. The fact is that LCD people are already posting their questions on E-Ink discussions, and everyone (NST, NSTG, Tablet, Color, HD, and HD+) post in the first edition forum.

 

At least with them all in the same forum, there is a better chance that someone who can actually help will see the message.

 


Didn't you see?  The first edition forum is still there, so that practice of dredging up some three-year-old thread to ask a completely unrelated question about a completely different device isn't going to change at all.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

It's still there for now, though so are the NC general and support forums.  Maybe those will be merged later on so that we only have the Nook Talk forum for general discussion and then the various specific device forums for support.

 

It's a step in the right direction of a simpler, and easier to navigate forum.  I recall Dean made a post outlining suggested changes, many people chimed in, we may be seeing the changes proposed in that thread. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,605
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All


Mercury_Glitch wrote:

It's still there for now, though so are the NC general and support forums.  Maybe those will be merged later on so that we only have the Nook Talk forum for general discussion and then the various specific device forums for support.

 

It's a step in the right direction of a simpler, and easier to navigate forum.  I recall Dean made a post outlining suggested changes, many people chimed in, we may be seeing the changes proposed in that thread. 


As you may recall I was against the merging of e-ink and LCD forums in that thread also.

 

I expect NC and N1E will remain separate as they've both reached EOL.  Which means that folks will continue to post there with issues that have nothing to do with those devices, and folks with actual issues with those devices are much more likely to have their posts go unread.

 

And strangely, the Writer's Room, which was closed for absolutely no valid reason at all, is still sitting there as if someone could post in it, only no one can.  If the forum was such a blight, then why is it still sitting there?  Re-open it already, or do away with it for good.

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,018
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

[ Edited ]

The only possible reason to split off the general discussion forums would be if they were so busy that new posts were being buried in a matter of minutes. General discussion is device agnostic - there's no reason why we had 4 threads going simultaneously about the state of BN's financial in 4 different general discussion forums. Likewise, there's a lot that has to do with many devices - does a thread about the Overdrive app belong in the NC, NT, or NHD forum? A single general discussion is far easier to navigate.

 

Moreover, a lot of people do already post in the "wrong forums". It's so much simpler for a new person who maybe doesn't know whether they have a NC or a NT or a NHD (and those people exist... in droves) to just ask in a centralized location and get an answer instead of "You're in the wrong forum trollololol". And having to ask a follow-up to clarify which device is the exact same number of posts as directing someone to the "correct" general discussion.

 

I'm all for keeping support forums separate by device. But for general discussion it has just created bloat - and given how inactive these forums are already it isn't like we're in danger of losing new threads in the rush.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
Posts: 3,544
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

I'm confused.

 

Is the plan to keep separate support forums but combine all the discussion forums into one?

 

People use the discussion forums for both discussions and support. IT's going to be confusing.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎06-07-2011

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

People will post in the wrong forum no matter how few or how many there are.  That we saw people posting about the Nook HD in the Nook First gen forums should be evidence enough of that point. 

 

However with fewer forums those who like helping are now not spread as thin as they were before.  Likewise we wont have 4 threads talking about the same thing in different forums.  It should, at most, be 2 forums (Nook Talk, and Community, that get confused.  Assuming the mods move posts from the HD forums that are about the NC to the NC support forums. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,605
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All


flyingtoastr wrote:

Likewise, there's a lot that has to do with many devices - does a thread about the Overdrive app belong in the NC, NT, or NHD forum? A single general discussion is far easier to navigate.


Because mention of an Overdrive App isn't going to confuse the newbies with NST/Gs at all.  We've already got people thinking they can install this app on their NST, or that they NEED this app to read library books.  So when one of them posts in an Overdrive thread relating to LCD nooks, and someone responds to explain to that person that for the NST they can't use the app, and then someone with an HD+ "corrects" that person, saying that the app IS available, everything will be clear as mud.

 

This is a perfect example of why an e-ink dicussion forum and a separate LCD discussion forum are a good idea.  Thanks for providing a great example to prove the issue.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All


keriflur wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Likewise, there's a lot that has to do with many devices - does a thread about the Overdrive app belong in the NC, NT, or NHD forum? A single general discussion is far easier to navigate.


Because mention of an Overdrive App isn't going to confuse the newbies with NST/Gs at all.  We've already got people thinking they can install this app on their NST, or that they NEED this app to read library books.  So when one of them posts in an Overdrive thread relating to LCD nooks, and someone responds to explain to that person that for the NST they can't use the app, and then someone with an HD+ "corrects" that person, saying that the app IS available, everything will be clear as mud.

 

This is a perfect example of why an e-ink dicussion forum and a separate LCD discussion forum are a good idea.  Thanks for providing a great example to prove the issue.


 

 

Then someone comes along and says, yes the app is available for the Nooks that need apps.  The NST/G/G2 are not among those Nooks. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,605
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

[ Edited ]

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

keriflur wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Likewise, there's a lot that has to do with many devices - does a thread about the Overdrive app belong in the NC, NT, or NHD forum? A single general discussion is far easier to navigate.


Because mention of an Overdrive App isn't going to confuse the newbies with NST/Gs at all.  We've already got people thinking they can install this app on their NST, or that they NEED this app to read library books.  So when one of them posts in an Overdrive thread relating to LCD nooks, and someone responds to explain to that person that for the NST they can't use the app, and then someone with an HD+ "corrects" that person, saying that the app IS available, everything will be clear as mud.

 

This is a perfect example of why an e-ink dicussion forum and a separate LCD discussion forum are a good idea.  Thanks for providing a great example to prove the issue.


 

 

Then someone comes along and says, yes the app is available for the Nooks that need apps.  The NST/G/G2 are not among those Nooks. 


And then the newbie says, what do you mean?  I thought I could run apps?  Why are all these people talking about apps if we can't use them?!?  And then someone else thinks they're talking about LCD devices and says that they can, and we loop back through the ridiculousness again.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

Ok so lets say we had both an LCD and an eInk discussion forum.

 

LCD owners post questions in the eInk forum, because lets face it if people with HDs are posting in N1E forums this is likely to happen.  They get confusing answers from the NST folks, say that they need to use Adobe Digital Editions to load library books on their HD.  Nevermind that you really can't do that or that there are much easier ways for the HD folks to do so.

 

eInk owners post questions in the LCD forum (same reason as above) and are given answers that they can not implement. 

 

Except we'd likely have less people who know both devices keeping tabs on the two forums.  So confusion would grow and grow, as would posters frustration. 

 

By merging them everyone goes to one forum.  All the experts, all the old hats, all the people who know their device really well. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,605
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All


Mercury_Glitch wrote:

Ok so lets say we had both an LCD and an eInk discussion forum.

 

LCD owners post questions in the eInk forum, because lets face it if people with HDs are posting in N1E forums this is likely to happen.  They get confusing answers from the NST folks, say that they need to use Adobe Digital Editions to load library books on their HD.  Nevermind that you really can't do that or that there are much easier ways for the HD folks to do so.

 

eInk owners post questions in the LCD forum (same reason as above) and are given answers that they can not implement. 

 

Except we'd likely have less people who know both devices keeping tabs on the two forums.  So confusion would grow and grow, as would posters frustration. 

 

By merging them everyone goes to one forum.  All the experts, all the old hats, all the people who know their device really well. 


Actually, no.  What would happen is what DOES happen, which is that the person posting in the wrong place is directed to the right one.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,395
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

If we're allowing for posters to be redirected to the correct forum, then there wont be an issue at all.  Once it's clear they are asking for help a post stating 'this is the discussion forum, for support with your Nook post to the appropriate Nook support forum" with a list of the right forums for the various devices. 

 

 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
DeanGibson
Posts: 2,186
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18
Registered: ‎04-12-2011

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

[ Edited ]

Sometimes I think it would be better for the forums to just delete every message before Nov 1, 2012.

 

OK, so some questions get answered again, probably with more insight than before.

 

It'd be easier to find topics, and less chance (ie, zero) of someone responding to a three-year old thread.

 

Getting rid of the "What will be in the next software release for the Nook ####?" threads would probably get rid of 10% of the old messages.  It's not like those threads have any historical or helpful content (other than an occasional "I told you so")..  :smileywink:

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,605
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All


DeanGibson wrote:

Sometimes I think it would be better for the forums to just delete every message before Nov 1, 2012.

 

OK, so some questions get answered again, probably with more insight than before.

 

It'd be easier to find topics, and less chance (ie, zero) of someone responding to a three-year old thread.

 

Getting rid of the "What will be in the next software release for the Nook ####?" threads would probably get rid of 10% of the old messages.  It's not like those threads have any historical or helpful content (other than an occasional "I told you so")..  :smileywink:


As long as we preserve Doug_Pardee's zombie horse thread.

 

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-First-Edition-General/Random-House-to-Adopt-Agency-Model...

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
Posts: 85
Registered: ‎07-20-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

I assume that I won't be alone in abandoning this forum.  I am interested only in NST(G)-related posts and it isn't worth the trouble to dredge through all the posts in this new combined forum to look for topics that might interest me.

 

At least the E-ink Support forum is still there.

Dave
Inspired Bibliophile
LarryOnLI
Posts: 1,998
Registered: ‎01-04-2010
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All


keriflur wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

keriflur wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

Likewise, there's a lot that has to do with many devices - does a thread about the Overdrive app belong in the NC, NT, or NHD forum? A single general discussion is far easier to navigate.


Because mention of an Overdrive App isn't going to confuse the newbies with NST/Gs at all.  We've already got people thinking they can install this app on their NST, or that they NEED this app to read library books.  So when one of them posts in an Overdrive thread relating to LCD nooks, and someone responds to explain to that person that for the NST they can't use the app, and then someone with an HD+ "corrects" that person, saying that the app IS available, everything will be clear as mud.

 

This is a perfect example of why an e-ink dicussion forum and a separate LCD discussion forum are a good idea.  Thanks for providing a great example to prove the issue.


 

 

Then someone comes along and says, yes the app is available for the Nooks that need apps.  The NST/G/G2 are not among those Nooks. 


And then the newbie says, what do you mean?  I thought I could run apps?  Why are all these people talking about apps if we can't use them?!?  And then someone else thinks they're talking about LCD devices and says that they can, and we loop back through the ridiculousness again.


BUT this is ALREADY happening with the separate forums, because the newbies don't check which forum they are in.

 

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,018
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
Registered: ‎11-11-2009

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

And you're missing the fact that a huge number of people have no idea what the difference between an LCD and an eInk screen is.

 

For instance, I literally just had a phone conversation with a customer that went pretty much like this:

 

"What kind of device is it?"

"A NOOK"

"What kind of NOOK?"

"There's more than 1 type?"

"Yes."

"Oh, well it's the basic one from a few years ago."

"So a 1st generation?"

"Yeah!"

"Is the device white?"

"No it's grey."

"Ok. Is the screen black and white?"

"No it's color."

"So it's a NOOK Color?"

"Yeah!"

 

People are going to get confused no matter how this forum is arranged.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
Posts: 2,185
Registered: ‎07-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: This Won't Be Confusing At All

I'm usually confused, about pretty much everything.  Go with it.