Correspondent
Marty-TX

This is NOT about the GlowLight!

Found a detailed article about "The Rise of e-Reading".

A lot of reader demographics and statistics.  Probably more info than you really care about.

Has some statistics about the brand of e-readers people use (from survey conducted earlier this year):

Kindle        62%
Nook          22%
All Other      7%
Don't Know   9%

Maybe the "don't know" folks misplaced their e-readers and can't find them! 

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: This is NOT about the GlowLight!

[ Edited ]

All kinds of interesting tidbits in there. A good find!

I'm not quite sure how to read this bit: "Among those who do not own tablet computers or e-book reading devices, the main reasons people say they do not own the devices are: 1) they don’t need or want one, 2) they can’t afford one, 3) they have enough digital devices already, or 4) they prefer printed books." Given answer 3, I have to wonder how (or if) the surveys account for reading apps on a laptop or desktop computer.

Also interesting that these results don't indicate the gender bias that's often associated with NOOK devices. Overall, an even split between male and female ebook readers.

Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

All kinds of interesting tidbits in there. A good find!

I'm not quite sure how to read this bit: "Among those who do not own tablet computers or e-book reading devices, the main reasons people say they do not own the devices are: 1) they don’t need or want one, 2) they can’t afford one, 3) they have enough digital devices already, or 4) they prefer printed books." Given answer 3, I have to wonder how (or if) the surveys account for reading apps on a laptop or desktop computer.

Also interesting that these results don't indicate the gender bias that's often associated with NOOK devices. Overall, an even split between male and female ebook readers.

Hi Bob,

The survey is probably putting netbooks, notebooks and desktops in the "enough digital devices" answer.  Before the Nook was around, and the Kindle was still quite pricey, my first "e-reader" was my desktop PC running a freeware program "MobiPocket Reader".

The gender bias perception about reading/writing devices has definitely changed. Years ago, the company I worked for had typewriters that were used only by secretaries because men didn't "type".  When we got our first PC in the office, it looked like a fun toy and guys had to try it.  So, we began to "input/output data" ... that sounded more like a guy thing than "typing".  Fast forward to the 21st century, and reading/writing on all sorts of digital devices is "cool" for everyone.

Frequent Contributor
Coaxial_Creature
0 Kudos

That is kind of weird. Although it might be some of the older readers, who aren't that tech-savy and who got them as gifts. The percentage does seem a tad high, though.

And wow.  I was under the impression that Nook had more of the market.   I knew that Amazon/Kindle had a larger market before Nook came along, but for some reason - maybe vague statements along the line of yay!   B&N has more of the more market and Amazon has less now - I had assumed that the percentage of Nook owners vs. Kindle owners was closer.  

Don't Know   9%

Maybe the "don't know" folks misplaced their e-readers and can't find them! 

Bones: Once, just once I'd like to be able to land someplace and say: "Behold, I am the archangel Gabriel."
Spock: I fail to see the humor in that situation, Doctor.
Bones.: Naturally, you could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mr. Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork...
~Bread and Circuses
Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

Coaxial,

If you can put up with a few commercial interruptions, you can hear your "signature lines" about 6:30 into the video. Of course, if you're a true Trekkie, you already have the video! 

Frequent Contributor
Coaxial_Creature
0 Kudos

Marty,

if I wanted to watch, I'd just pop in the DVD.   I am a fangirl at heart, so yes, I do own the original series on DVD.

Although those are at my studio and I don't have wi-fi there.   I'm at home, so I'd watch on Netflix at home.

Bones: Once, just once I'd like to be able to land someplace and say: "Behold, I am the archangel Gabriel."
Bones.: Naturally, you could hardly claim to be an angel with those pointed ears, Mr. Spock. But say you landed someplace with a pitchfork...
~Bread and Circuses
Correspondent
Marty-TX
0 Kudos

C_C,

I'm a true fan of the series, and old enough to have watched the original broadcasts in the '60's.  I don't have the series on VHS or DVD, but I've watched so many reruns that I've probably seen each episode 10 times!

I still enjoy Sci-Fi and some of my Nook books are by "classic" authors of the genre:  Doug Adams, Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Fredric Brown, Orson Scott Card, Arthur C. Clarke, Michael Crichton, Robert Heinlein, Frank Herbert, Aldous Huxley, Murray Leinster, George Orwell, Kurt Vonnegut, H.G. Wells and even some stuff by a guy named Roddenberry.

Frequent Contributor
Coaxial_Creature
0 Kudos

Recently, I've been reading paperback books.  (But only because I want them signed at Readercon!)  I've also been focusing on horror since the two guests of honor are horror writers.  

And then I saw Lewis Black and got a first edition signed by him at the show, so I'll probably read that later.   But, yeah, gotta love Asimov, especially his robot stories.   And Philip K. Dick.   And William Gibson.

~Bread and Circuses