Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

Today's news that the NC is being phased out....

....is it time now to move to the Amazon Kindle? Prices not moving much on Nook, but the prices are moving quite a bit on the Kindle. Fought many years about Microsoft and finally migrated. It just seems that Kindle isn't going away.
You live and you learn, some people just live!
Inspired Correspondent
DanRNJ

Re: Today's news that the NC is being phased out....

The NC is being phased out in favor of the Nook HD.  That doesn't seem to be a reason to consider moving to the Kindle with its proprietary ebook format, sales pitches at the bottom of the screen, etc., etc.  It's not like BN is going to stop offering epub books for sale.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60

Move to Kindle? Sheesh, no. I just put in a preorder for the HD+ and will give my NC to my son!

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

Now I'm really glad I bought a Kobo Vox!

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

[Wednesday's] news that the NC is being phased out....

[ Edited ]
First, what do you mean today's news? The news broke on Wednesday. Look further down the discussion forum to see where it was first posted to this forum.

thelios wrote:
....is it time now to move to the Amazon Kindle? Prices not moving much on Nook, but the prices are moving quite a bit on the Kindle. Fought many years about Microsoft and finally migrated. It just seems that Kindle isn't going away.

What do you mean by "Prices not moving much on Nook, but the prices are moving quite a bit on the Kindle"?

The Nook Tablet HD 8G is $200, (ad-free), charger included

The Kindle Fire HD 16G is $215, (ad-free), charger extra

The Nook Tablet HD 16G is $230, (ad-free), charger included

The Kindle Fire HD 32G is $265, (ad-free), charger extra

The Nook Tablet HD+ 16G is $270 (ad-free), charger included

The Nook Tablet HD+ 32G is $300 (ad-free), charger included

The Kindle Fire HD+ 16G is $315 (ad-free), charger extra

The Kindle Fire HD+ 32G is $395 (ad-free), charger extra

I take it you mean "the prices are moving quite a bit on the Kindle" to mean that the prices for the plus size skinny tab are an effort to move their original $200 price point quite a bit higher.

DanRNJ wrote:

The NC is being phased out in favor of the Nook HD.  That doesn't seem to be a reason to consider moving to the Kindle with its proprietary ebook format, sales pitches at the bottom of the screen, etc., etc.  It's not like BN is going to stop offering epub books for sale.

Quite. Declaring "they are phasing out a two year old device, time to move", just as the Nook family gets best in class displays, Overdrive on board and a download video store seems a strange way to pick timing. Does that imply that when the original Kindle Fire tablet is phased out this time next year, it would be time to move back to Nook?

Irishelf wrote:

Now I'm really glad I bought a Kobo Vox!

I get the appeal of the Vox ~ despite being the least powerful of the three book-oriented tablets rolled out last year, its the most open of the three, both in terms of the Android store and in terms of regional availability. But nothing has changed on that front ... phasing out the Nook Color doesn't have anything much to do with those competitive advantages.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Re: [Wednesday's] news that the NC is being phased out....

[ Edited ]

"....is it time now to move to the Amazon Kindle? Prices not moving much on Nook, but the prices are moving quite a bit on the Kindle."

Sorry don't understand your statements or your logic? Care to clarify?

As to the Vox is a no go for me. Actual battery use was actually more like 5hrs. wifi off and find 7-8 to be the minimal for me in real day to day use.

My nook color with CM7 is sufficient for at least the next year. If they want to get me to buy. Then will have to deal with 2 issues that will get me to budge. 1) Increase battery life to the 10-12 hrs wifi On and 2) new color screen technology with  more usability outdoors & sunlight.

Otherwise happy and would even next year if needing to replace my dead unit. Then would be with another nook color or tablet for $100? would still be available thru many different channels.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,949

Read his past posts. He is a poster interesting solely in cheap ebooks, and naturally is angry that BN won't loss-lead to Amazon's level. For some people saving $3 on Hunger Games is more important than having an ebook format that isn't solely tied to a single vendor. *shrug*

Now what this has to do with the impending EOL of the NOOK Color I have no idea.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif
0 Kudos

The NC was phased out when the NT was released, it's days were numbered.  SO WHAT?  Every camera mfg, or printer mfg, releases new models each year and last years model moves off the shelf eventually.  Does that mean it isn't supported, or doesn't have firmware upgrades, not usually.  The life span on a PC is 2 to 3 years, either you upgrade to keep up with new technology or kludge on until your dinasour dies, if your a gamer you better think about upgrading at least the video card after the first year.  My laptop is 5 years old, I don't even turn it on any more it's just too slow, that was $1100 IBM, the wife asked me yesterday to upgrade it.

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

I am sorry kind sir that I have disturbed your tranquility. You criticize me for wanting something cheap. I do not buy ALL my books @ rock bottom prices. You nor anyone else here knows of my particular circumstances. I am not going to bother you with the circumstances. But I posted to this forum a few years ago only to be PUSHED off the board by people like you. I did not buy my NC, I probably would have went with the tablet. The ones who got the NC did not know that the NC was somewhat "old.". However, I am not going to hurt their feelings now. I have imposed a $9.99 upper limit on ebooks. In fact, most of the books I have bought are in this price range. NOT THE $3.00 cheaper as you suppose. What is wrong with reading a book at 7.99 as versus 9.99? They read the same way at both prices. Why don't they develop a format where you can read it on any reader? $$$$ is the reason, Kindle and Nook is just as guilty on this. I take exception for criticizing me on wanting to read things cheaper. I am not greedy and certainly not a cheapskate as you suppose.
Correspondent
Strayer

9.99 isn't cheap to me at all. Buying ebooks can add up in a hurry.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

thelios wrote:

I am sorry kind sir that I have disturbed your tranquility.

Who's tranquility are you sorry for having disturbed?

You criticize me for wanting something cheap.

If you want something cheap, phasing out the Nook Color doesn't mean that there's no longer an under $200 skinnytablet option, it just means we won't know what strategy B&N is going to take with their Nook Tablet v1 quite yet. Obviously they want the attention to be on the new models right now. My free advice to B&N would be to sell the Nook Tablet 8G at $160, advertise "ad free" and "SD card slot included" prominently, and leave it at that. But what they'll do is anybody's guess.

... The ones who got the NC did not know that the NC was somewhat "old.". ...

If people bought an electronic device introduced for Christmas season 2010 and "didn't know" that it was getting long in the tooth, it seems they weren't all that interested in finding out. Its something you can find out in five minutes of googling or straight off the Wikipedia page, so its not exactly a secret.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Phasing out a device does not mean they are going to come to your house and take yours away.  It will still work the same way it does now, you'll still be able to buy books for it the way you buy them now, and nothing will change until the device dies from old age or other reasons, just like it would have if B&N continued to sell NCs to other folks who aren't you, as you already have yours.

And if you would have preferred a generic android tablet, then why did you come in here and say it was time to move to kindle?  I mean, really, are you here to talk about the NC or are you just here to stir the pot?

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

Agreed. My point was I am not a cheapskate as he was making inferrences. I do not mind paying AS MUCH AS $9.99 excluding tax. But not $14.99 plus tax.
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

thelios wrote:
Agreed. My point was I am not a cheapskate as he was making inferrences. I do not mind paying AS MUCH AS $9.99 excluding tax. But not $14.99 plus tax.

What does that have to do with the pricing of Kindle Fires and Nook Tablets? Your original post didn't say anything about book pricing, it was making some point that several people couldn't work out about the priving of Kindle Fires and Nook Tablets ... and you still haven't clarified for anybody who asked what in the heck you were trying to say.

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

Bruce, I was accused of being accused by someone down the page of being a cheapskate. I was referring to not being that way whatsoever. As far as the Kindle Fire's are concerned, I am thinking I said thinking about moving to the Kindle. I would much rather stay with BN until they came out that they were phasing the NC out. I know it is older technology and needs to be upgraded. It is just like the PC. But my wife got me this NC and she knows nothing about ereaders. She just did not know. She meant well. I had the first initial Nook put out. But the reason I was talking about the Kindle Fire was that their pricing structure seemed to be cheaper. Being a retired reader that is also a handicapped reader, price of books are important to me. Price might not be an issue with you. But buying books OVER TIME at a higher price can mount up. There has been several books that have come out that is not some of the Big Five Agency pricing that is cheaper on the Kindle. I have heard the arguments about pricing. For the last few years I have waited for the year or so for their prices to come down. I probably continue to do so IF I STAY WITH THE NOOK. Again, I would like to remain in this format. Several years ago, a drunk driver hit me head on near my residence. Doctors said that my condition would tend to lend itself to dementia. I refuse for that to happen. I use the Nook to help me keep my mind sharp and try not to let my brain atrophy. So price OF BOOKS is a concern to me. I keep a watch on the Free Fridays to see if anything interests me. And it has been a long time since I did so much rambling. I am not THAT concerned with ereader prices I will keep saving until I can afford something else.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

thelios wrote:
Bruce, I was accused of being accused by someone down the page of being a cheapskate. I was referring to not being that way whatsoever. As far as the Kindle Fire's are concerned, I am thinking I said thinking about moving to the Kindle. I would much rather stay with BN until they came out that they were phasing the NC out. I know it is older technology and needs to be upgraded. It is just like the PC. But my wife got me this NC and she knows nothing about ereaders. She just did not know. She meant well. I had the first initial Nook put out. But the reason I was talking about the Kindle Fire was that their pricing structure seemed to be cheaper. Being a retired reader that is also a handicapped reader, price of books are important to me. Price might not be an issue with you. But buying books OVER TIME at a higher price can mount up. There has been several books that have come out that is not some of the Big Five Agency pricing that is cheaper on the Kindle. I have heard the arguments about pricing. For the last few years I have waited for the year or so for their prices to come down. I probably continue to do so IF I STAY WITH THE NOOK. Again, I would like to remain in this format. Several years ago, a drunk driver hit me head on near my residence. Doctors said that my condition would tend to lend itself to dementia. I refuse for that to happen. I use the Nook to help me keep my mind sharp and try not to let my brain atrophy. So price OF BOOKS is a concern to me. I keep a watch on the Free Fridays to see if anything interests me. And it has been a long time since I did so much rambling. I am not THAT concerned with ereader prices I will keep saving until I can afford something else.

Okay, this all makes sense now.  So why don't you keep the NC until it dies, which is the cheapest option, since you have an NC and it's working and all that.  Yes, some books are cheaper on the kindle, but the cost of a new device will be hard to make up on a dollar here or there on books.  Also keep in mind that you can borrow from the library for free (regardless of device).

When the NC dies, x number of years from now, a general purpose tablet is a good option, and is probably a better option than the kindle in your case as you already have books from B&N that you wouldn't be able to easily put on the kindle.  You can then install the kindle app and the nook app, and if you want to, the kobo and Google apps, and buy books from whoever is cheapest out of all of them.

The fact that the NC is being phased out seems irrelevant here.  The technology only needs to be upgraded if its not working for you, and that doesn't seem to be what you're saying (unless there's more to the story, of course).

Frequent Contributor
sueott
0 Kudos

Do you think that we would be able to transfer our books and apps from the NC to a newer device?

Correspondent
thelios
0 Kudos

I had the first initial Nook that came out. As long as I used the same USERID on the nook, all my books from that first nook downloaded seemlessly. Thank Goodness.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

thelios wrote:

When the NC dies, x number of years from now, a general purpose tablet is a good option, and is probably a better option than the kindle in your case as you already have books from B&N that you wouldn't be able to easily put on the kindle.  You can then install the kindle app and the nook app, and if you want to, the kobo and Google apps, and buy books from whoever is cheapest out of all of them.

The fact that the NC is being phased out seems irrelevant hereThe technology only needs to be upgraded if its not working for you, and that doesn't seem to be what you're saying (unless there's more to the story, of course).

Yep don't understand the OP need here. Saving $2-$5 per title to go with cost of new device? Going to need to buy 40+ ebooks just to recoup the cost of the device when I already have a device that is working? And at that point in time ends up costing more as at that point you have saved nada,zilch,zero in the way of savings per ebook title to get return on new device. That instead of just giving in and paying a higher price for ebooks on present device. As seems same monies and cost involved.  Just different in how it's distrubuted.

Sorry not getting the OP need to switch or uprade device at the present moment.

Am I missing something?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

My question is this - what about the apps purchased for the NC?  Will they or won't they be compatible with a newer device?  I know with my computer, when the computer became more powerful, the older programs were no longer viable.