Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Try doing THIS with a Kindle!

I got my Nook HD+ the day they came out.  I've been delighted with it, but recetnly, it started getting hot if it was on for any length of time. Today, I took it to one of the two local B&N stores.  I'd actually bought it at the other, but that was not an issue to them.  I'd run it for about an hour before I went to the store so they could see the problem.  They said they'd never seen that before, that it definitely should not happen, so let's just swap it out for a brand new Nook.  And they did.  Just like that.

I wish the original Nook hadn't failed because A) setting everything up again is a pain; B) I had a perfectly applied non-glare screen on the old one,  and B) until the battery started overheating, I had not problems with it--one always worries if the replacement will be as good. But it happens.  That's what warranties are for, and theystood behind their warranty.  I am sure that some Kindles fail too--and what do Kindle owners do in that event?  Not walk into a store, show it to them and walk out with a brand new device. 

Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

Re: Try doing THIS with a Kindle!

I am sure that some Kindles fail too--and what do Kindle owners do in that event?  Not walk into a store, show it to them and walk out with a brand new device. 

They just call Amazon and Amazon will send them another by 2 day shipping.  If its out of warranty they'll still send you another at a minimul price.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

BeckyWC wrote:

I am sure that some Kindles fail too--and what do Kindle owners do in that event?  Not walk into a store, show it to them and walk out with a brand new device. 

They just call Amazon and Amazon will send them another by 2 day shipping.  If its out of warranty they'll still send you another at a minimul price.

So, you're agreeing that it's something Amazon can't match. Cool beans.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

>>They just call Amazon and Amazon will send them another by 2 day shipping.  If its out of warranty they'll still send you another at a minimul price.<<

Like I said--they'd have to call Amazon, convince someone in India that there really was a problem with the Kindle, and then wait for 2 day shipping.  I walked into a store, showed them the problem, walked out with a brand new Nook.  They even offered to set it up for me.  I had a grandson eager to go to the museum we'd promised him, so I opted out.  But as I was checking out, they were going through the whole process for a new customer  I'd talked to her (helped sell her on the Nook by telling her how happy I am with mine) and she would have had to struggle through this process.  The incredibly helpful folk there did it for her.  I just don't think you can beat that. 

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Yeah. Seconding what BFCoughlin wrote.

It's one thing to say Amazon has good customer service. It's quite another to claim it can match the immediacy and human touch of an actual store.

Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin wrote:

>>They just call Amazon and Amazon will send them another by 2 day shipping.  If its out of warranty they'll still send you another at a minimul price.<<

Like I said--they'd have to call Amazon, convince someone in India that there really was a problem with the Kindle, and then wait for 2 day shipping.  I walked into a store, showed them the problem, walked out with a brand new Nook.  They even offered to set it up for me.  I had a grandson eager to go to the museum we'd promised him, so I opted out.  But as I was checking out, they were going through the whole process for a new customer  I'd talked to her (helped sell her on the Nook by telling her how happy I am with mine) and she would have had to struggle through this process.  The incredibly helpful folk there did it for her.  I just don't think you can beat that. 

Out of all the times I've called Amazon I've never spoken to someone in India.  I just go to the Amazon web site Kindle support click on call me and they call me within 2 minutes from Spokane, Washington.  Never have I ever spoke to someone in India. 

And also, thats great that you can walk into a B&N store.  I'd have to drive some distance just to find one.  So when I have a problem with a purchase from B&N I still have to pick up a phone and call customer support and wait, and wait, and wait before someone takes me off hold.

I get immediate service from Amazon, I don't call them I put in a request that they call me and the count down clock starts you are guaranteed a call in 5 minutes.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Becky WC, it's great that you always get super service from Amazon and always talk to someone in Oregon.

I think we're discovering subsets of people who

Always get better service from B&N.

Those who always get better service from Amazon.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

5ivedom wrote:

Becky WC, it's great that you always get super service from Amazon and always talk to someone in Oregon.

I think we're discovering subsets of people who

Always get better service from B&N.

Those who always get better service from Amazon.

Spokane is in Washington.  :smileyhappy:

Where you'll get the best service depends on habits and where you live.  If you never go in store, you will pretty much ALWAYS get better service from Amazon, phone CS is their core CS.  B&N has shifted CS overseas and made it a lower priority, and they don't communicate well with their call centers, which all adds up (or in this case, subtracts down) to a poor customer experience.

Sure, there will be people who have good B&N CS calls, but I'm confident that if they had the same issue and called Amazon CS for the same exact thing, they'd get a better experience from Amazon.

In fact, it would be kind of fun to test that out.

If you do go in-store, B&N will win, because nothing compares to having a real live person help you, and the in-store people are often very nice and knowledgeable.

Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I'm all for great customer service whether in-store or on the phone, B&N doesn't have the luxury of not giving good (excellant) over the phone customer service.  It would be one thing if they had a B&N in every city and depending on how big the city more than one location.  But they do not, those that live near a B&N I'm happy you can just walk in but I'd have to as I said drive some distance just to get to the one nearest me.  So then I have to add gas as well to my expense.

With them shutting down low performing stores and such they are gonna have to give some priority to on call customer service or lose customers.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947

I've had good, bad, and awful experiences with Amazon's CS. There was the time they billed my SO for a Prime subscription that we had opted out of renewing, then refused to refund the cost because of "policy" (though from what I've heard they're being more lenient about that now). There was the time the rep basically accused me of making up an order that hadn't been fulfilled two weeks after I had placed it, then told me just to "cancel and reorder it". And there's the number of times I've had to call them because said Prime account orders were taking 3-4 days to actually arrive.

Then there were plenty of times when they've been helpful and fix the problems quickly and easily.

It's the same with every company.