Frequent Contributor
trophy57
0 Kudos

Tv.com app not for Nook Color

Recently purchased 4 nook colors for christmas. I downloaded the tv.com app to all 4, no problem. Then when the update came, brought them to our b&n they updated them for me, but one of nooks had a  problem, so they exchanged for me. brought it home and registered it, updated it. Now it seems that on this one nook, it tells me that the app is no longer supported. Contacted support, they were very nice, went throught everything, deregistering, hard reset all the works, and no go. requested I contact the maker of the app. Emailed him and his reply is that this app is for the nook tablet only and wants to know how I was able to put this one on the other 3. Could this have been in that time frame that they are now stopping some apps from being loaded.  Now the tv.com app states it is for nook tablets only. 

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

Re: Tv.com app not for Nook Color

> Could this have been in that time frame that they are now stopping some apps from being loaded.  <

trophy57,

yes, it's possible they have changed the requirements settings.

I'd be curious to know if it does actually work properly on the 3 NCs you managed to get it installed on?

- Mark

Frequent Contributor
trophy57
0 Kudos

works perfectly on all 3.  Watched on one last night. no problems

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Sounds like the BN internal process for putting stuff in the store has the same QA controls as the process for bugchecking :smileyhappy: 

Sorry, Trophy, but you may not be able get the app on the last device.  An experiment I would try would be

- root one of the others

- install titanium backup on it

- back up the app

- root the NC that won't run the app

- install titanium

- restore the app to it.

And that wouldn't guarantee it'd work.  Some apps know when they're on rooted hardware and don't run, so you'd risk losing the app on the NC you rooted in order to make the backup. Even after a reset to stock, it probably wouldn't be available again. 

I'd try it because I'm curious and don't use that app.  Obviously, you'd actually like to use the app, so the risk of losing it on a second device may be one you'd want to avoid. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Frequent Contributor
trophy57
0 Kudos

thank you for your suggestions. Im not that familiar with all the rooting. The only thing bad about this is that 2 of my grandchildrens nooks will have the app and the other will not.  My husband says just take them off and then none will have them and if they want to later they can reinstall them.  I dont think that if I archive them or take them off, they probably could not reinstall them . Ny nook has it and I like it and use it .

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

You're right, once you archive them they probably can't reinstall. 

Depending on the age and savvy of the recipients, you could suggest they all root their NCs as a learning experience - or, to avoid fisticuffs at the Christmas tree you could yank the app from the ones you're giving away.

Given that rooting an NC involves ongoing care and feeding, I'd vote with your husband here. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
daenas
0 Kudos

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH, another piece of the puzzle.  I had TV.com on my NC too before the update and it worked fine, now it's in the "not supported/everything else" file...now I get it....

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,259
0 Kudos

rousty,

> Sounds like the BN internal process for putting stuff in the store has the same QA controls as the process for bugchecking. <

I think it's more a matter of getting the Requirements flags set properly.  It could have just been timing.  There's probably a SecurePlatform flag now in the Manifest, and the NT qualifies, while the NC does not.

Since trophy57 got some downloaded to her NCs before the flag was attached, the app itself runs just fine.  But since the NC isn't "secure", they're not allowing it in on that device.  Just like the Netflix HD situation.

trophy,

if you archive those apps, they'll be gone permanently.

- Mark

Frequent Contributor
trophy57
0 Kudos

well they opened their nooks and I'm the best Nana in the world, Thankfully they didn't notice one doesn't have the TV app., lucky the two brothers have them, Now just have to fix some of the apps that were downloaded that are not working and I checked they are for both book color and tablet and these are two paid apps.  Well Merry Christmas to everyone in the nook world

New User
Antera
0 Kudos

I am glad chrismas worked out for you. But....it is obvious that the app will work on the nook color it is just a choice of b&n for it to only work on the tablet. Once another update to the nook color comes out the tv.com on the two boys nooks will probabky stop working. Trust me it is not the devs. The more people that get their app the more they get from advertisers. That is how they make thier money on free apps. Thiss to me is a lot like what apple has done to the iphone. I am upset that most apps b&n charges for are free everywhere else now my nookcolor that is not even a year old is already begining to be uncompatable with apps. Unless b&n changes their ways I will sell this and get a true android device.